Cayin N5ii Technical Support thread
Apr 26, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #333 of 376
Hi, It's been a while since my last post for my N5ii.

Since last week, I'm not able to use the Play/Pause, Next/Last track buttons on Spotify. I have to power up the screen and then use them but it's not really convenient...
I'm on the 3.6en.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #334 of 376
Hi. I have the N5iis with firmware 3.6. Unit was working fine for about 2 months and now when playing directly from the the CF cards, music would play and suddenly pause after about 10-20 seconds of playing. It works fine playing with Spotify. Does anyone know if there's a fix to this? Also began to notice a blueish streak that goes vertical on the screen. Can this be fix as well? Very frustrated with this product. Thanks.

May 7, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #335 of 376
May 29, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #336 of 376
Hi @CayinSupport, recently my N5ii started to warm really hot during the charging process, and this one takes really long time to reach 100% (I measured it with a current usb tester, and appears that in 4hours it reach 100%, but the tester measured 6,5Ah (instead the usually 3Ah))
So I open it, to identify wich component was the guilty, and i find out that the IC "EW=3C H1N" was the culprit (i attach a photo of such IC)
My question is: on internet i couldn't find anything about it, so could you (maybe some enginner) tell me what is this IC and where can i find it for replacement.
Thanks you, Matteo

20190529_232356.jpg

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #337 of 376
Hi @CayinSupport, recently my N5ii started to warm really hot during the charging process, and this one takes really long time to reach 100% (I measured it with a current usb tester, and appears that in 4hours it reach 100%, but the tester measured 6,5Ah (instead the usually 3Ah))
So I open it, to identify wich component was the guilty, and i find out that the IC "EW=3C H1N" was the culprit (i attach a photo of such IC)
My question is: on internet i couldn't find anything about it, so could you (maybe some enginner) tell me what is this IC and where can i find it for replacement.
Thanks you, Matteo

This is the exact reason why I had to send back my N5ii for RMA twice.

The charging IC will fry if you use quick charge adapters according to Cayin because the adapter won't switch to normal charging voltage and instead use higher voltages which will kill the charging IC.

May 30, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #338 of 376

The charging IC will fry if you use quick charge adapters according to Cayin because the adapter won't switch to normal charging voltage and instead use higher voltages which will kill the charging IC.

wow this is gross
I just used the same charger of my galaxy s8 (that have quick charge) to charge it (the N5ii). Grrr

I'm from Italy, how can I contact the RMA? Do you think that they're covering european users?

May 31, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #339 of 376
Thanks you, Matteo

wow this is gross
I just used the same charger of my galaxy s8 (that have quick charge) to charge it (the N5ii). Grrr

I'm from Italy, how can I contact the RMA? Do you think that they're covering european users?

You can either contact the shop where you bought N5ii, or email service@cayin.cn for warranty/repair service if the shop is not a Cayin dealer anymore.

The IC in your photo is a step-up voltage regulator, it should warm up during charging, and the figures you mentioned are within acceptable range. We cannot conclude that the problem lies on this chip based on your observation. The chip probably is not available in Europe market. If you are certain that this ship is causing the problem and if you are skillful enough to replace the chip yourself, we can mail you the component so that you replace it yourself. However we are not responsible for any damage or malfunction after the DIY repair, that's common policy in consumer electronic industry.

On the other hand, can you tell us more detail about your problem? It can't charge up to 100, so where did it stop? 80%? 90%? 98%? How long does it take to charge up your DAP from , say around 10% to around 90%? What about the duration of usage per charging cycle? Drop significantly as well? if you haven't done so, try to calibrate the battery gauge as we have suggested here. This will improve the battery efficient after extended swallow charge.

My last advice is, don't discharge your Lithium battery too low (below 10%), or charge it up too high (beyond 90%). When you charge your battery upto 85%, you'll enter Stage 2 of Li battery charging known as Saturation Charge. The power management will lower the charging current significantly after that, to protect the battery from over-charge, and eventually will change from continuous charging to pulse charging when approach the end of charging cycle (typically around 95%)

Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it's better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles.
(cf: techrepublic.com)

Li-ion does not need to be fully charged as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge because a high voltage stresses the battery. Choosing a lower voltage threshold or eliminating the saturation charge altogether, prolongs battery life but this reduces the runtime. Chargers for consumer products go for maximum capacity and cannot be adjusted; extended service life is perceived less important.
(cf: batteryuniversity.com)

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 31, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #340 of 376

Unfortunately, this is an incomplete and misleading message. As per to our previous discussion, not ALL QC charger will cause the same problem. I shall quote my message again to clarify the situation..

Theoretically, yes, it (QC charger) should be downward compatible, but in reality, that depends on the internal circuit of the charger. It can be a 9V charge by default and step down to 5V after handshaking to confirm the device is not QC compatible. There can be two problems here: the handshaking is not 100% accurate and might take longer then expected (9V output during handshaking), and the step down from 9V to 5V might not be as accurate, depends on country, the tolerant rate can up to 10%, which mean the step down output might vary from 4.5V to 5.5V and still consider as acceptable.

In addition, according to our record, you have toasted the XC8108 chip twice, an IC that will limit the current during charging. This is not the same IC as @Matteomar95 has raised in his post. I hope Matteomar95 will not be over-stressed because of your comment, because I do worry that the Li battery of his N5ii have been over-stressed if he make it a habit to charge the battery upto 100% all the time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 31, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #341 of 376
Unfortunately, this is an incomplete and misleading message. As per to our previous discussion, not ALL QC charger will cause the same problem. I shall quote my message again to clarify the situation..

In addition, according to our record, you have toasted the XC8108 chip twice, an IC that will limit the current during charging. This is not the same IC as @Matteomar95 has raised in his post. I hope Matteomar95 will not be over-stressed because of your comment, because I do worry that the Li battery of his N5ii have been over-stressed if he make it a habit to charge the battery upto 100% all the time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thanks for the clarification. And sorry for the misinformation.

Which chip is the XC8108 by the way?

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #342 of 376
You can either contact the shop where you bought N5ii, or email service@cayin.cn for warranty/repair service if the shop is not a Cayin dealer anymore.

The IC in your photo is a step-up voltage regulator, it should warm up during charging, and the figures you mentioned are within acceptable range. We cannot conclude that the problem lies on this chip based on your observation. The chip probably is not available in Europe market. If you are certain that this ship is causing the problem and if you are skillful enough to replace the chip yourself, we can mail you the component so that you replace it yourself. However we are not responsible for any damage or malfunction after the DIY repair, that's common policy in consumer electronic industry.

On the other hand, can you tell us more detail about your problem? It can't charge up to 100, so where did it stop? 80%? 90%? 98%? How long does it take to charge up your DAP from , say around 10% to around 90%? What about the duration of usage per charging cycle? Drop significantly as well? if you haven't done so, try to calibrate the battery gauge as we have suggested here. This will improve the battery efficient after extended swallow charge.

My last advice is, don't discharge your Lithium battery too low (below 10%), or charge it up too high (beyond 90%). When you charge your battery upto 85%, you'll enter Stage 2 of Li battery charging known as Saturation Charge. The power management will lower the charging current significantly after that, to protect the battery from over-charge, and eventually will change from continuous charging to pulse charging when approach the end of charging cycle (typically around 95%)

(cf: techrepublic.com)

(cf: batteryuniversity.com)

Hello, thanks for the reply!
The IC warm really hot, so much that I can't hold my fingertip on it. The battery charge time from 0% to 100% takes about 4 to 5 hours, and the DAP gets really hot. Then, if i leave it powered off, it will discharge. Also during usage, the battery drains really quickly.
I'm able to change that component, so if you can send me an email with some datasheet for the "EW=3C H1N" and the equivalent IC (if any) I really appreciate. Or maybe we can talk about a possible shipping of this IC, I don't know.
I take this opportunity to ask you where I can find a good replacement for the battery, I've searched on aliexpress for some lipo package of the same dimensions (to then weld the original battery connectors), but with no lucky.
My mail is matteomar04@gmail.com

Thanks you, Matteo

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #343 of 376
The duplicated entries are created by your Mac system. OS X makes quite a lot of use of extended file attributes to store ACLs, metadata, etc. When writing to a file system that doesn't handle OS X file attributes and metadata, it creates a "dot-underscore" file to store that extra information in. On OS X, the "dot-underscore" file is invisible and used in a way that the user is not aware of; on UNIX and Linux, the file is invisible and ignored; on Windows and Android, you see it.
(cf. https://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-Mac-produce-duplicate-files-when-read-on-a-PC)

Since the content of the files are not relevant to N5ii operation, I suggest you remove them from your DAP or TF cards. These are small files always start with "_" in front of the file name so it should be fairly straight forward to remove them in batch. I have run into similar problem previously and I connect my DAP to a Window PC, conduct a global search for files below 100KB, sort them by filename, and delete all the files started with "-".

N5ii recognize album art by:
  1. Embedded: you can embedded a JPG file into the header of your music file (if the format supported), this is the best option as you can reorganize your music library anytime and yet the album art will also be available. you can use metedata management software such as MP3Tag to do this.
  2. Same Filename: In case you want to display a different album art to each song within a folder, you can rename the album art to the EXACT name of the music file, N5ii will change to different album art when they have identify a image file that is named after the music file.
  3. Predefined: Rename the album art to cover.jpg or folder.jpg and place it into the same folder of the music file, N5ii will look for the file and display it as the album art for all the music files in the same folder.
Please do not use exceedingly large graphic files as album art as they might cause short term CPU brust when loading the graphic file. We recommend jpeg at or below 1000x1000

Thanks, this is very helpful. Now if I could get Android Auto to work between my N5ii and Honda head unit. I have no idea on which end the problem lies (other than there's no aux jack). :)

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #344 of 376
Hello, thanks for the reply!
The IC warm really hot, so much that I can't hold my fingertip on it. The battery charge time from 0% to 100% takes about 4 to 5 hours, and the DAP gets really hot. Then, if i leave it powered off, it will discharge. Also during usage, the battery drains really quickly.
I'm able to change that component, so if you can send me an email with some datasheet for the "EW=3C H1N" and the equivalent IC (if any) I really appreciate. Or maybe we can talk about a possible shipping of this IC, I don't know.
I take this opportunity to ask you where I can find a good replacement for the battery, I've searched on aliexpress for some lipo package of the same dimensions (to then weld the original battery connectors), but with no lucky.
My mail is matteomar04@gmail.com

Thanks you, Matteo

So it does charge up to 100%, but take too long when compare to previous experience. How about charge it to 85%? Still take longer then expected? or the delay only occured between 90% to 100%, I have asked similar question previously because we need to understand whether the charging problem is related to Stage 1 (Constant current charge) or Stage 2 (Saturation Charge).

ion1.jpg

The battery is a custom make item, you won't find this battery on Internet.

Theoretically we can sell the battery to our users and let them replace it locally, it is fairly straightforward and is easier then replacing a chip on the motherboard. In reality, no fright carrier will accept an unattended/uninstalled Lithium batter in their cargo. I believe frequent travellers will aware that all flight companies has changed their practise and required their passengers MUST hand-carry their Lithium batteries. So unless you live fairly close to our factory and ground transportation is feasible, we can't deliver the battery to you.

If you have decided to replace the chip at your own risk, please drop an email to service@cayin.cn and quote the message on headFi forum, they'll follow up your request through our proper channel.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #345 of 376
So it does charge up to 100%, but take too long when compare to previous experience. How about charge it to 85%? Still take longer then expected? or the delay only occured between 90% to 100%, I have asked similar question previously because we need to understand whether the charging problem is related to Stage 1 (Constant current charge) or Stage 2 (Saturation Charge).

ion1.jpg

The battery is a custom make item, you won't find this battery on Internet.

Theoretically we can sell the battery to our users and let them replace it locally, it is fairly straightforward and is easier then replacing a chip on the motherboard. In reality, no fright carrier will accept an unattended/uninstalled Lithium batter in their cargo. I believe frequent travellers will aware that all flight companies has changed their practise and required their passengers MUST hand-carry their Lithium batteries. So unless you live fairly close to our factory and ground transportation is feasible, we can't deliver the battery to you.

If you have decided to replace the chip at your own risk, please drop an email to service@cayin.cn and quote the message on headFi forum, they'll follow up your request through our proper channel.

The battery still take longer then expected in any percentage of charge, the DAP also got really hot, and after a complete charge, it drains battery to 0% during the day, even it's off. Thanks for the reply, I'll proceed to send an email to the Cayin service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back