Cayin N5ii Technical Support thread
Dec 11, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #301 of 376
Hi,

I am experiencing an app incompatibility, I guess.
After I found this thread (thanks to seanwee for creating it!) I reset my device and got rid of a few bugs.
But after the reset I cannot use the play store any more. When I enter my details and login to play store the app closes after a few seconds to update and after it has finished with this it crashes and I get a repeated "unfortunately google play services has stopped" message. I even get this with wifi turned off. It pops up a couple of times and then ceases - until the next boot-up. Which means that I had to do a factory reset again to erase my account from the device.

My guess is that the newest version of play store is not compatibel with 3.5en any more.
An install via apk could be a workaround, but I have no idea where to get an apk for the play store app and more importantly: which version should I use?
I tried to find a way to keep the app from auto-updating itself, but there seems to be now option for that. Only for auto-updating the downloaded apps.

So basicly I would need advice from the Cayin support stuff on how to solve my problem, please.

Best,
Karsten

Have you seen this post
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...al-audio-player.862763/page-217#post-14652691

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #304 of 376
Hi,
I'm hoping this thread is still active as I'm at a loss as to where to seek help with an N5 problem.

I got an N5 yesterday and it worked fine straight out of the box...except for the continual 'Google Play ceased working' pop-up, which many have posted about. I tried clearing the cache from the boot screen, with no effect. Then I tried a double wipe with disastrous results. The N5 turns on, but only gets as far as the screen for setting the time and language and nothing further will load from there. If I press the buttons on the side, eventually I get a pop up saying 'Unfortunately Cayin Player has ceased.'

Any advice on what to do? I'm disappointed, having been very excited to get this new DAP.

Thanks.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #305 of 376
What firmware are you using? I think the latest had a fix for some of those issues. Must admit I never used google play on mine; just sideloaded a few APKs for testing such as Sirius XM and JRiver gizmo.

Realistically I think this unit is substandard for apps; just too underpowered. But great for music playing from internal SD cards. Kind of sad, but I suspect its resale value will be poor when the time comes. A great playback device but buggy and not ready for prime time when it comes to Android uses in general.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #306 of 376
What firmware are you using? I think the latest had a fix for some of those issues. Must admit I never used google play on mine; just sideloaded a few APKs for testing such as Sirius XM and JRiver gizmo.

Realistically I think this unit is substandard for apps; just too underpowered. But great for music playing from internal SD cards. Kind of sad, but I suspect its resale value will be poor when the time comes. A great playback device but buggy and not ready for prime time when it comes to Android uses in general.

I was just using whatever firmware came with it. I would also be happy just to use it to play from SD card- it sounded great during the brief window before I tried the double wipe and then it stopped loading at all! Would it help if I did a firmware update? I've never done anything with an android device before, but there are clear instructions online I think I could follow ok. I would be very frustrated to send it back.

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #308 of 376
There are plenty of posts here explaining how to check the firmware version and how to upgrade. Or you could send it back

The Shanling M5s would probably be a good alternative but of course it’s not Android

I've solved the problem!

There is another way to wipe the cache/data, which is to go into Settings from the pull-down screen. When I did a wipe from this point, instead of from the boot screen it restarted ok. No idea why, but it's working fine now. I'm going to give it a while until I try to get any apps installed though :).

Thanks for the advice!

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #314 of 376
Hi all

I hope someone can help me solve this really weird problem with my recently purchased used N5iiS.

After switching on if I plug in either of my 2 balanced 'phones, sound is fine R and L but turning the volume wheel has no effect on volume, and volume meter does not appear on screen.

If I unplug and plug in my SE 'phones all is well, volume control works as it should.

If I unplug SE phones and plug in my balanced 'phones again, volume control now works!!

The problem appears to lie with the 2.5mm balanced socket, which is mysteriously solved by plugging in singe ended 'phones into the 3.5mm socket.

Annoying, but not a deal breaker at the moment. I am concerned it may be a symptom of something more serious.

Help or advice gratefully received!

Update

After happily listening to a few tracks in balanced mode I suddenly lost volume control again. Solved with a reboot but this is not good. Am I the only one to have experienced this problem?

I’ll do some long term listening in SE mode to see if it restricted to balanced mode.........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back