Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 11, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #3,241 of 4,108
Tha
Yes, this is exactly how it's supposed to be used. Slide from the top to open options and click on USB/MTP/whatever is selected and pick DAC, connect with USB-C.

For some people this is not an option, because it's:
a) bulky
b) discharges both batteries
and my personal (don't laugh at me, I'm serious) c) I do not have a smartphone...
well, and d) I hate wires, especially on the go or doing sport, so without bluetooth it's a no-no for me.

Thanks, will try it out! I've all but given up on my N5ii and was already looking at DACs, but this might work despite the drawbacks.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #3,242 of 4,108
Shouldn't I be able to attach a USB cable to my phone, and use its UI to drive the N5ii as a DAC, to benefit from the improved audio quality over my phone? Never had a DAC so not sure how it works.
That would be cumbersome. Plus defeating the point of having an android based DAP.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,243 of 4,108
BTW, did you try setting the animations and stuff in developer options to x0.5? I find that it helps with smoothness.

Yup, i recently did deactivate the animations in android developer menu. I'm not sure i noticed any real improvement since though. One thing for sure is that it didn't change the lag after pressing play/pause button. Might be interesting to hear more about this issue from official Cayin people (eg @Andykong ?).

And again, i mention that i have the N5iis version. I don't know which model have other users in here complaining about UI being slow (as this thread is apparently for both units), but UI response is globally quite good to me. Except of course for the lag with play/pause/equalizer and the covers re-drawing. And i think it's important to consider whether people have the N5ii or N5iiS as the latter has 2Gb ram instead of 1Gb, which might explain why N5ii owners encounters maybe more slowness with UI...

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #3,245 of 4,108
Temporary Solution to Stop Google Play error in N5ii/N5iiS

We have received numerous reports regarding "Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped" error message recently. We now confirmed that the situation is caused by an unannounced service update from Google. The recent N5ii/N5iiS firmware has been running smoothly for over 2 months before user run into this error. The following instruction will direct you to uninstall the latest Google Play update and stopped the repeating error message.

1. Clearing Google Play cache data
  • Swipe from left to right to pull out Application Menu, Select Third Party Application to enter Application Drawer, Click ES File Explorer to access Local Memory
  • Swipe Left or Right until you arrive the Homepage screen of ES File Explorer, select APK
  • Select User Apps at control area
  • Select System Apps from pop-up menu
  • At App Manager page, find Google Play app, Select and Hold the Google Play icon, an quick menu will display at the bottom of the screen, select "More"
  • Select Property from the pop up menu
  • Select Force stop at the Application page of Google play
  • Scroll down to select the Clear Cache option.
  • Reopen Google Play at Third Party Application page
  • Restart your N5ii or N5iiS
2. Uninstalling Google Play Updates
  • Follow previous steps to access the Application page of Google play
  • Select Uninstall Updates
  • Restart your N5ii or N5iiS
This should restore your Google Play to previous version and stopped the Google Play error message temporarily. If you are unfamiliar with Android system, please down the detail instruction with screen capture here.

Looks like lates version of Google Play Services 14.7.99, that currently available on Market, is having issues. After uninstall Google Play Updates you can install this version of Google Play services : 14.5.81 (020300-221753714) or 14.3.66 (020300-213742215) . It fixed Google Play Music and Youtube Music for me and i do not getting "services stop" error and "update Play Services" requests. All apk you can find on apkmirror.com site. Just be sure that you choosing 020300 version.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #3,246 of 4,108
Having the awful UX of the N5ii and losing Spotify offline files also defeats the point of having an Android-based DAP :frowning2:

Im just thinking, i never lose any my spotify offline song until the play services problems started. After that, every time the play services popup appeared, my spotify logged out and i lost all my offline songs.

Maybe at some degree spotify and play services work together, and the loss of offline songs are an error of cayin's fw integration to play services right from the start - or at some point started by an "uncompatible" update of play services.

Could you please investigate this @Andykong?
Thank you

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #3,247 of 4,108
Im just thinking, i never lose any my spotify offline song until the play services problems started. After that, every time the play services popup appeared, my spotify logged out and i lost all my offline songs.

Maybe at some degree spotify and play services work together, and the loss of offline songs are an error of cayin's fw integration to play services right from the start - or at some point started by an "uncompatible" update of play services.

Could you please investigate this @Andykong?
Thank you

This has happened since the launch and is not limited to this DAP, so that's not it.

Plenty of discussion on this thread about the issue, no solid fix though.

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #3,248 of 4,108
Yes, this is exactly how it's supposed to be used. Slide from the top to open options and click on USB/MTP/whatever is selected and pick DAC, connect with USB-C.

For some people this is not an option, because it's:
a) bulky
b) discharges both batteries
and my personal (don't laugh at me, I'm serious) c) I do not have a smartphone...
well, and d) I hate wires, especially on the go or doing sport, so without bluetooth it's a no-no for me.

N5iiS works as external DAC, but for files with higher resolution than 24/96 you may notice some distortions time to time. Been there already. In general it works overall even for DoP64, but use 1.3 firmware.

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #3,250 of 4,108
This has happened since the launch and is not limited to this DAP, so that's not it.

Plenty of discussion on this thread about the issue, no solid fix though.
Well just my opinion. I had an xdp 300r and i5 but never experienced any loss of spotify offline song.
The i5 had spotify itself force closed tho

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #3,251 of 4,108
I'm after a dap for work and am considering n5iis or fiio x5iii. Anybody have both and have a preference? Streaming is not an issue for me.

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #3,252 of 4,108
I'm after a dap for work and am considering n5iis or fiio x5iii. Anybody have both and have a preference? Streaming is not an issue for me.
IMO they're on different price range. Sound wise its better on the N5iiS. But for stability and smooth experience, better off with the X5iii

And to put it on consideration, the Sony ZX300 is a solid choice as well, but to make the most out of it you must use the balanced connection - another investment to make because you have to reterminate your cans

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #3,253 of 4,108
IMO they're on different price range. Sound wise its better on the N5iiS. But for stability and smooth experience, better off with the X5iii

And to put it on consideration, the Sony ZX300 is a solid choice as well, but to make the most out of it you must use the balanced connection - another investment to make because you have to reterminate your cans

X5iii is even closer by its price to N5iiS than ZX-300 to it.

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #3,254 of 4,108
X5iii is even closer by its price to N5iiS than ZX-300 to it.
Here in Indonesia, the X5iii and ZX300 are in the same price point (~$425) while Cayin N5iiS priced $75-$100 more, which is pretty substantial (for me at least). I heard the ZX300s costs more in some countries but im not sure.

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #3,255 of 4,108
Here in Indonesia, the X5iii and ZX300 are in the same price point (~$425) while Cayin N5iiS priced $75-$100 more, which is pretty substantial (for me at least). I heard the ZX300s costs more in some countries but im not sure.

Ok, just for extra info. I'm in Thailand now, here ZX300 is ~670$, N5iiS ~495$, X5iii ~400$.
Are you sure we're talking about same DAPs? ZX300 is the most expensive one even on an official Sony page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back