Cayin N5ii Technical Support thread
May 2, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #151 of 376
2) Sometimes when I press the play button, the Google Play Music app starts playing music, despite the fact that Audio Priority Mode is enabled and I had previously been listening to the built-in HibyMusic app. I have a photo I could send showing the pull-down menu with "Audio Priority Mode" enabled and at the bottom you can see the Google Play Music notification complete with a pause button (indicating it is playing). It's as if this app is waking in the background and grabbing button focus.

I hope this is useful. My version is 3.1en.

Hi,The third party player preempts the physical button competence . You can double check if your Google Play Music app has a button like" headphone wired control skip"?. If yes, you can switch off this button.Actually, this is a known issue but cannot be resolved completely. Because a third-party player with different versions, some of them have this button and the others don't have.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 2, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #152 of 376
Hi,The third party player preempts the physical button competence . You can double check if your Google Play Music app has a button like" headphone wired control skip"?. If yes, you can switch off this button.Actually, this is a known issue but cannot be resolved completely. Because a third-party player with different versions, some of them have this button and the others don't have.

Thank-you. I checked and the Google Play app does not have any settings to control whether or not it will respond to the button control keypress events. I may just un-install it and hope that other apps are not so aggressive in stealing the focus.

I did a bit of research to satisfy my own curiosity: I found an interesting article detailing how the key events work in Android: https://www.androidcentral.com/replay-growing-struggle-playback-controls-bluetooth

I suppose it might theoretically be possible that the built-in app could be improved to ensure it is always listening for key events and stealing audio focus. Or perhaps the custom Android build could be modified to filter the keypress events from 3rd party apps when in audio priority mode.

I did try messing around with Tasker. It can send a simulated play/pause event to a specific app, but it has trouble detecting the play button on Android 5. See this post: http://forum.joaoapps.com/index.php?threads/bluetooth-button-capture-not-working.9735/#post-19527 :

"Create loop with and have the interval set to 4 seconds (you can use a faster one if you want). In this loop you call Media Grab. This way it ensures your phone is constantly grabbing the media controls for interception." I don't like the sound of running code in a constant 4 second loop, and anyway: "In Android 5.0 and up, I can still do the same thing except when music is playing, then I've lost all abilities to intercept and my Media Grab Loop doesn't allows Tasker to intercept hardware media"

I imagine the buttons could generate custom events, only the built-in app would listen for those, and it could dispatch simulated events (like Tasker does) to 3rd party apps according to some UI selection. That would be a lot of software changes, though.

tl;dr : Android makes this very difficult but I do wonder if it is possible to either customise Android or improve the app in this regard.

May 3, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #153 of 376
@Andykong or @CayinSupport

When I go to file properties the track year always states unknown. All my files are properly tagged via musicbrainz. Not a big deal, but something that should be looked at or let me know what I may be doing wrong.

Edit: supporting pic of properties screen on the same file I previously sent for the lyrics issue.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h294ntyts5m3l2/2018-04-29 07.21.09.jpg?dl=0

Thanks.

Hi, I have already sent your files to our senior engineers before. But they are too busy to test your files now. I will let you know if I have further message.

Last edited:

May 3, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #154 of 376
Thank-you. I checked and the Google Play app does not have any settings to control whether or not it will respond to the button control keypress events. I may just un-install it and hope that other apps are not so aggressive in stealing the focus.

I did a bit of research to satisfy my own curiosity: I found an interesting article detailing how the key events work in Android: https://www.androidcentral.com/replay-growing-struggle-playback-controls-bluetooth

I suppose it might theoretically be possible that the built-in app could be improved to ensure it is always listening for key events and stealing audio focus. Or perhaps the custom Android build could be modified to filter the keypress events from 3rd party apps when in audio priority mode.

I did try messing around with Tasker. It can send a simulated play/pause event to a specific app, but it has trouble detecting the play button on Android 5. See this post: http://forum.joaoapps.com/index.php?threads/bluetooth-button-capture-not-working.9735/#post-19527 :

"Create loop with and have the interval set to 4 seconds (you can use a faster one if you want). In this loop you call Media Grab. This way it ensures your phone is constantly grabbing the media controls for interception." I don't like the sound of running code in a constant 4 second loop, and anyway: "In Android 5.0 and up, I can still do the same thing except when music is playing, then I've lost all abilities to intercept and my Media Grab Loop doesn't allows Tasker to intercept hardware media"

I imagine the buttons could generate custom events, only the built-in app would listen for those, and it could dispatch simulated events (like Tasker does) to 3rd party apps according to some UI selection. That would be a lot of software changes, though.

tl;dr : Android makes this very difficult but I do wonder if it is possible to either customise Android or improve the app in this regard.

Thanks for your information!

May 4, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #157 of 376
A little info, not so much sound related, but I think that is interessant.
The original firmware for Cayin N5ii comes with "ES File Explorer" file manager integrated.
For me is not a good choice: It is known that in recent times the app is full of bloatware and the app is deprecated (you can read this page). It is true that the ES File Explorer on N5ii is not as invasive as on a smartphone, but I would recommend Cayin (or Hiby?) to integrate a better file manager, lighter and without these problems (I use MiXplorer which can be found on xda, but there is many great file manager for Android out there).

May 4, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #158 of 376
Hi, update the newest information: the wrong lyric displayed issue is known issue, which should be resolved in subsequent firmware.

Great! Thanks!

Edit: Also, should .TXT (unsynched) lyric files display? The only lyrics which display are the synched .LRC files. Any .TXT just say no lyrics found in the screen, same as I see if there are no lyric files at all for a song.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #160 of 376
Wondering if there is any news on the beta testing of new firmware? I am holding off on resetting device, wiping cards etc until I hear further on new firmware.

We are wraping up the current beta firmware and will make it an official firmware release, this should be available very soon.

I'll travel to Germany for Munich High end Show coming Tuesday and Silvia will join me in this trip, meaning the front-line support team will be offlined for 7-8 days, and I'll attend a short field trip organised by the company immediately after that, which mean I won't be showing up at office until 20th. In view of these long period of absent, we decided to roll out a firmware update to release the pressure of the random pause bug. We know we haven't rectified the bug 100%, but I think a lot of users will be benefit by the current beta firmware already.

I'll find out whether there will be a beta version of the official firmware so that this team can continue to submit their log file for the official firmware. I'll keep everyone post as soon as I find out the plan, and hopefully before I get on my Munich flight.

May 12, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #162 of 376
My N5II is powering off with 50% battery. Does anyone experience that?

I have OS V3.3, and already did the wipe out cache.

I'm not using SD card yet and I have roughly 11gb of free space in the internal memory.

Can my unit be faulty?

May 15, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #164 of 376
Just received my n5ii. Figured out how to navigate, setup wifi, update firmware, etc. I'm awaiting microSD cards. When I connect the DAP to my Mac and allow for USB mass storage file movement, I copy a music album from my Mac to the n5ii Music folder. All is well after I Eject and then request the n5ii to scan. However, what I see is duplicate entries for the songs. They follow one another in same song sequence. And, disturbingly, they are not in the correct sequence on the album (the n5ii clearly is not using the tags to correctly sequence the song info). What am I doing wrong? One thing I'm unsure of, and may be the root cause of what I'm seeing, is that there appear to be two options for performing a scan: a) Scan all b) Scan a specified folder. Is it possible that doing a) causes the duplication that I'm seeing?

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #165 of 376
Not sure about duplication issue but I do know that the unit doesn't recognise Year (displays as Unknown) and track numbers do not seem to be taken into account. For the latter I prefix Filename with track number, format - nn. Don't forget a leading zero otherwise it will sort out of order too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back