Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
May 7, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #3,768 of 4,108
Need the USB DAC facility,best one I have had for my laptop.2 second delay does not bother me at all.Need to make the fonts larger though!
Should have said I am using Cayin N5iiS.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #3,771 of 4,108
The only time 2 second delay is bad is when you start your player, expecting it to be at the preset volume, but find it returns to the volume you were using prior to shutting it off. Mainly an issue when switching between hard to drive headphones to sensitive iems. Not being able to pause with blaring music is not a fun thing to have happen.

May 7, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #3,772 of 4,108
I would suggest that you offer the firmware update with the information that certain capabilities have been removed or degraded. Those who want those capabilities as they are can stay with the current firmware; those who would prefer a more responsive interface can go to the new firmware.

As I understand it, the primary USB issue is output to external DAC units such as the Mojo. I am not sure if there is an issue with use as a DAC/AMP as I've never tried that function. But it would be good to know the current status of those two USB uses and what would happen with the proposed new firmware.

Personally a snappier UI would be great for me as it would address one key issue for me. The other key issue for me is that sending files via USB to the micro SD cards can be finicky; but I suspect that USB transfers may never be fully addressed due to the limitations of the USB implementation as described a while back.

May 8, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #3,773 of 4,108
I would suggest that you offer the firmware update with the information that certain capabilities have been removed or degraded. Those who want those capabilities as they are can stay with the current firmware; those who would prefer a more responsive interface can go to the new firmware.

As I understand it, the primary USB issue is output to external DAC units such as the Mojo. I am not sure if there is an issue with use as a DAC/AMP as I've never tried that function. But it would be good to know the current status of those two USB uses and what would happen with the proposed new firmware.

Personally a snappier UI would be great for me as it would address one key issue for me. The other key issue for me is that sending files via USB to the micro SD cards can be finicky; but I suspect that USB transfers may never be fully addressed due to the limitations of the USB implementation as described a while back.
Come to think of it, the firmware only seems to fix the 2 sec delay so those who'd prefer having the USB Audio out could just defer from upgrading.

Ive never had any problems with the USB transfer process though. It's a bit slower compared to using a card reader but that's to be expected.

Have you done the developer option tweak to speed up the UI?

Simply set
window animation scale - off
transition animation scale - off
Animator duration scale - 0.5

Using the above setting it feels as snappy as the N5iiS to me.

May 8, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #3,775 of 4,108
As a N5II user, don't think worth compensate one function, even though rarely use and can't output smooth DSD
also possible lower SQ for the 2sec issue .. as above user said, a bit annoying but it's ok.

I thought 2sec issue occur only on 3.6 FW ? or since 3.5 ? but sure it was not on 3.3 ..
so vote for unchange

didn't notice the developer option, thx @seanwee, feel flashy after setting your options
let's bring it out for listen tmr
for the N6II, shouldn't be a secret as posted by Andy, it SRP is 6998RMB, so comparable to DX220, both are in range : P

can't wait to listen both !!

May 8, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #3,776 of 4,108
As a N5II user, don't think worth compensate one function, even though rarely use and can't output smooth DSD
also possible lower SQ for the 2sec issue .. as above user said, a bit annoying but it's ok.

I thought 2sec issue occur only on 3.6 FW ? or since 3.5 ? but sure it was not on 3.3 ..
so vote for unchange

didn't notice the developer option, thx @seanwee, feel flashy after setting your options
let's bring it out for listen tmr
for the N6II, shouldn't be a secret as posted by Andy, it SRP is 6998RMB, so comparable to DX220, both are in range : P

can't wait to listen both !!
I've heard the op amp circuit of the N8 and while it's not comparable to the nutube circuit it'll definitely be a great one at the 1200 buck price range.

However, there will be a nutube module coming to the DX series so that muddles up things a bit. That said, there's no guarantee that ibasso will be able to make a nutube module that sounds as good the nutube curcuit in the N8.

Being the flagship of Cayin there's not doubt that a crapton of work and effort must have been put into the Nutube Circuit to squeeze out the best sound possible from the design.

May 10, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #3,779 of 4,108
I have no idea why someone bothered by so-called '2 sec delay bug':ksc75smile:
Iam for proper USB Audio

Maybe because one might expect a +/- 500 bucks unit to be as responsive as a 20 bucks one in terms of such basic and essential usage like playing / pausing songs ?

Personally, i have no usage of my N5IIS for USB Audio Out and neither for USB DAC. So i would prefer to have the 2 sec delay fixed, even if i loose USB Audio Out. But i understand that other people might have different usage / expectations than mines.

Also from what i understood, @Andykong didn't make it clear if only USB Audio Out would be affected by the 2 sec delay fix, or if the USB DAC capability would also be impacted. I guess he'll calrify this pretty soon for anyone's concern.

I second the idea to better the USB capabilities would be a better use of firmware update. What is the 2 second issue?

The 2 second issue is that 1/2 seconds delay you have when you press play/pause and before the player actually operates the play/pause function.

You can also check my short video showing the issue here.

Sounds pretty fair for everyone IMHO. Except maybe for people not reading fw release informations...

The other key issue for me is that sending files via USB to the micro SD cards can be finicky

I always use a card reader for file transfers as i always found it much fast and reliable, not only in terms of file transfer, but also in not having to bother switching up the unit plus grabbing and plugging my USB cable. Now maybe this has also to do with the fact that i'm not using my N5IIS as a DAC, thus not having it plugged to my computer for listening... :wink:

All of a sudden my n5ii won’t scan past 600 songs :frowning2:

You might want to check this post and few previous/further ones (including also this one)

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #3,780 of 4,108
@Andykong any update on the startup volume issue where the device doesn't startup at the preset volume, it plays at the previously used volume? I still feel like this is a big issue for damaging ears/headphones between uses.

Do you mean that the Startup Volume Settings in the Music Settings are not working on your end ?

N5MK2SS_ScreenShot_20190510+.jpg

I personally prefer having the last volume level restored at start-up (as settings shown in my screen), but i guess setting up a 'Custom' volume on start-up with your own desired level, instead of 'Memory' should solve your issue ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back