Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
May 5, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #3,751 of 4,108
May 5, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #3,753 of 4,108
Neutron...Is anybody using Neutron as 3rd party player on their N5iis? A little confusing, any setup tips?
I chose:
64 Bit Processing =yes
Resampling = Audiophile
Audio Hardware =
Dither - yes
Ultrasonic Filter - yes
Hardware Gain - yes
Audio Focus - yes
DSD, DSD over PCM - yes
Oversample - no
Follow source Frequency - yes

This look typical of your setup?
Thanks

May 7, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #3,754 of 4,108
Has anybody tried 3rd party music apps such as Neutron on this device? Any better then the stock player?
Any recommendations?
Thanks

Neutron is a good alternative, we worked with Neutron to enable Hi-Res support, do you can bypass Android SRC when you use Neutron in N5ii and N5iiS.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 7, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #3,755 of 4,108
I had similar problems with Outlook. It just kept choking on one email but boy it was hard to figure which one that was.....basically had to cut the email stack in two, see which half froze, then cut that half again....etc.

That's binary search, simple and efficient. I done that several time with my music library when I need to debug corrupted files, it was horrible when I did this for the first time, fortunately Music Library is a cumulative database, meaning you only add new items to you library, you dontd edit them (well, rarely). So instead of using binary search, I break my library into pieces according to year of database entries and scan them year by year. With that I can always remember the years that I have drbugged, and when I run into problem again, I can start the debug process again from where I left.

May 7, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #3,756 of 4,108
Currently I'm considering the DX220 since the price of the N6ii is a little too steep. The FiiO M11 on the other hand may be too small a step up to be worth it.

The DX220 is a very good upgrade for N5ii, you get must faster CPU and a high quality screen to start with, almost certain that it will improve your user experience instantly.

I auggest you give yourself a treat and go for the Amp7 or Am8, or both, depends whether your IEM collection is single ended or balanced, or whether you need Line out. Trust me, if you go for Amp3 or Amp5, you will be tempted to move up to Amp7 or Amp8 very soon, you can mark my word for that. :beerchug:

May 7, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #3,757 of 4,108
The DX220 is a very good upgrade for N5ii, you get must faster CPU and a high quality screen to start with, almost certain that it will improve your user experience instantly.

I auggest you give yourself a treat and go for the Amp7 or Am8, or both, depends whether your IEM collection is single ended or balanced, or whether you need Line out. Trust me, if you go for Amp3 or Amp5, you will be tempted to move up to Amp7 or Amp8 very soon, you can mark my word for that. :beerchug:
Considering it but probably won't get another amp module anytime soon due to budget constraints.

Even then I'll still have to see if the size of the DX220 is ok first.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #3,758 of 4,108
One simple question that I need inputs from N5ii/N5iiS users.

After a lot of attemp, we can solve the 2sec delay, finally. The solution involve a lot of low level programming and the worst part is, the new code will deteriate the USB Audio and created high background noise. I understand the current USB Audio is not good beyond 16Bit/48kHz, but this new beta firmware will make the USB Audio even unusable at all sampling rate.

If we go for this solution and pack it into a new firmware, we'll either disable the USB Audio completely, or pop up a warning on the noise problem of USB Audio. Yes, this is not ideal in both case, but we honestly cantc find a way to solve the 2sec delay bug and keep the USB Audio intact simultaneously.

We are sourcing opinion from our dealers right now, if you have a preference, you can tell me here or by PM. I am heading to Munich today, will check again when I settle down at my Munich hotel.

May 7, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #3,759 of 4,108

After a lot of attemp, we can solve the 2sec delay, finally. The solution involve a lot of low level programming and the worst part is, the new code will deteriate the USB Audio and created high background noise. I understand the current USB Audio is not good beyond 16Bit/48kHz, but this new beta firmware will make the USB Audio even unusable at all sampling rate.

If we go for this solution and pack it into a new firmware, we'll either disable the USB Audio completely, or pop up a warning on the noise problem of USB Audio. Yes, this is not ideal in both case, but we honestly cantc find a way to solve the 2sec delay bug and keep the USB Audio intact simultaneously.

We are sourcing opinion from our dealers right now, if you have a preference, you can tell me here or by PM. I am heading to Munich today, will check again when I settle down at my Munich hotel.
USB Audio output or USB DAC mode?

If its USB audio output then its fine for me.

May 7, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #3,762 of 4,108

I am fine with no USB Audio Out as I dont use that feature

May 7, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #3,763 of 4,108
Disable USB audio out, USB DAC is fairly static prone anyway as well

May 7, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #3,764 of 4,108
I would be happy to see the 2 second delay go away. Perhaps a fix to that with this release, and possibly a future release to quash the USB issues would be nice.

Would we still be able to use the unit as a USB DAC / AMP with this proposed firmware?

I am pleased to hear that some updates for this unit may happen.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #3,765 of 4,108
@Andykong any update on the startup volume issue where the device doesn't startup at the preset volume, it plays at the previously used volume? I still feel like this is a big issue for damaging ears/headphones between uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back