Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #3,091 of 4,108
I am considering the Caylin but am concerned about the quality problems with the unit, especially problems with the jacks coming out.

For those of you who have the unit, how common is this.??

For Cayin, has this been addressed in production so that current stock doesn't have this problem??

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #3,092 of 4,108
I am considering the Caylin but am concerned about the quality problems with the unit, especially problems with the jacks coming out.

For those of you who have the unit, how common is this.??

For Cayin, has this been addressed in production so that current stock doesn't have this problem??

The issued was reported in the early stage of N5ii, we have investigated the problem and confirmed the original 2.5mm socket mounting was the weak link, we have modify our production process and reinforced the mount with our won tools. So 2.5mm socket problem of N5ii should be an issue to the late production batch.

In addition, the N5ii has been replaced by N5iiS already, and we have replaced numerous components to higher quality options including the screen, chassis, power filter capacitor and the 2.5mm/3.5mm phone sockets. Details of the changes has been explained here.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 22, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #3,093 of 4,108
Hi, sorry for the trouble caused and thank you for your kind feedback. I will add it into our optimization list for future products.
No worries I know this is not trivial...for example for an album named "Greatest Hits", one by "Artist X" and one by "Artist Y", there is no way a sorting algorithm can determine from the standard raw metadata whether different "Greatest Hits" albums are genuinely supposed to be separate albums. You could use the "Album Artist" tag to help determining if an album should be separated and this will cut down on the frequency of occurrence, but not 100%. Neutron Player solved this by adding options to "Split album by path" or "Split album by artist" for it to work correctly in these instances.

Btw I am sure you meant "future firmware releases..." not products :beerchug:

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #3,095 of 4,108
The issued was reported in the early stage of N5ii, we have investigated the problem and confirmed the original 2.5mm socket mounting was the weak link, we have modify our production process and reinforced the mount with our won tools. So 2.5mm socket problem of N5ii should be an issue to the late production batch.

In addition, the N5ii has been replaced by N5iiS already, and we have replaced numerous components to higher quality options including the screen, chassis, power filter capacitor and the 2.5mm/3.5mm phone sockets. Details of the changes has been explained here.

Andy, but that replacement means disbursing almost $ 200 more for almost the same product. I think that by solving the software details of which there are still complaints, the final experience will improve.

Oct 22, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #3,096 of 4,108
Andy, but that replacement means disbursing almost $ 200 more for almost the same product. I think that by solving the software details of which there are still complaints, the final experience will improve.

It's greatly improved. I've owned both. The screen is way better, the stainless steel build is gorgeous, the ram has been doubled, and the jacks are improved as well. The UI runs much smoother now. Best sounding player I've ever had.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #3,098 of 4,108
I assume that you meant to say that this problem should NOT be a problem in late production units?? because I am interested in buying the N5ii that is being discontinued as my first DAC/Amp

Yes, we have done our best to rectify the problem as soon as possible, but we cannot guarantee 100% flawless. The 2.5mm headphone jack has its physical limitation, if you google deep enough, you'll notice the 2.5mm socket problem has appeared in many DAPs, including items that are a lot more expansive.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #3,099 of 4,108

We have explained our situation in detail, we have to discontinue the N5ii because of the screen and we need to come out with a new design to replace it. Most of the features are requested by users somewhere in this thread. Besides, hardware and software improvement are not mutually exclusive and they are carried out by different team of engineers.

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #3,100 of 4,108
We have explained our situation in detail, we have to discontinue the N5ii because of the screen and we need to come out with a new design to replace it. Most of the features are requested by users somewhere in this thread. Besides, hardware and software improvement are not mutually exclusive and they are carried out by different team of engineers.

There are still pending software issues for which we are still waiting for a new release.

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #3,101 of 4,108
Running my Magni 3 + N5ii + HD58X and it’s so incredible :)

Oct 23, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #3,103 of 4,108
I am looking at the Magni 3 for my desktop setup. How does it differ from the N5ii only?

Depends if you’re using it with headphones.

For IEMs, I can barely turn the volume up. Completely unnecessary.

For headphones, the Magni 3 is a tad bright so when used in conjunction with my 6XX, it has some of the clearest treble and extension I’ve ever heard. It’s extremely resolving and has tight imaging.

I find it’s best paired with a darker sounding headphone like my 58X or NightOwl.

As for differences, I prefer the N5ii overall because the signature is more balanced. However, Magni has a cleaner sound, more detailed, resolving and better imaging.

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #3,104 of 4,108
Hello, recently I just purchased a Ravpower Filehub ( power bank with NAS/DLNA function), when I try the DLNA feature of N5ii it can detect all the folders inside the usb drive connected to this gadget but can not detect any individual music file in each folder. Is it a compatible issue or do I need to configure something else? I also tried the Hiby app on Android and iOS phone and got the same problem. Help.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #3,105 of 4,108
A quick update regarding Idle Shutdown
@Slater91 @acroyear

We have received the complaint the idle shutdown failure earlier on, we tested and confirmed it works in our lab, so we didn't investigate it seriously, then we receive the complaint again, therefore we conducted a thorough test and notice that the problem only exist in international version firmware, no wonder our engineer couldn't replicate the problem at Zhuhai.

Unfortunately, after our detail analysis and tracking, the problem was traced all the way back to the GCM service, or GCM_CONN_ALARM in Google service specifically. Google Cloud Messaging (commonly referred to as GCM) is a mobile notification service developed by Google that enables third-party application developers to send notification data or information from developer-run servers to applications that target the Google Android Operating System, (see here), unfortunately it has been reported that the GCM_CONN_ALARM will trigger a wakelock, stop the Android device from going into sleep or idle and drain the battery (see here, here and here).

We have monitor the wakelock in N5ii and N5iiS in close detail and noticed that most wakelock will be release instantly and the player will remain idle all the way through, but GCM_CONN_ALARM will hold the wakelock, consumed current that is large enough to wake up the N5ii from idle.

GCM_CONN wakelock.jpg

This is part of the log in our test:
04:39:20.389: idle
04:39:56.148 Wake up by Google
04:39:56.161 idle
04:43:49.232 Wake up by Google (~3 m 54s )
04:43:49.234 idle
04:51:35.385 Wake up by Google (~7m 46s)
04:51:35.392 idle
05:04:42.022 Wake up by Google (13m 07s)

So the GCM_CONN_ALARM is random and might vary from one machine to the other. A third party app might trigger a GCM and when you remove the app, the GCM most likely will left behind. In this particular example, if we set the idle shutdown to 10 minutes, it will be triggered by the first two GCM and then powered off before the third wakelock comes in, so shutdown at around 20 minutes. If we set the idle shutdown to 5 minutes, it should shutdown at 9 minutes instead (3m54s + 5m).

We cannot terminate the GCM_CONN_ALARM service, and the Audio Priority mode will not be able to kill the service. We know there are off-the-shelf "Wakelock terminator" app in the market, most of them will only work for Application Wakelock but not very effective for Kernal Wakelock. We'll look into that but we are not optimistic that we can implement this in our firmware. For the meantime, the only way out is to set the Idle shutdown to a shorter time. Sorry for unable to get this sorted out even we have identified the problem.

PS. The problem was raised in the Technical support thread, but I think the result affect a lot of users, so I respond here instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back