Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 12, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #3,061 of 4,108
Final e5000's pair unbelievably well with N5iiS through balanced. The treble was always a little laid back with these, but with the N5iiS I seem to get extra detail and some sparkle out of them.
DSC05746.JPG

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #3,062 of 4,108
Final e5000's pair unbelievably well with N5iiS through balanced. The treble was always a little laid back with these, but with the N5iiS I seem to get extra detail and some sparkle out of them.

Same with the N5ii and also pure silver cable.

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #3,063 of 4,108
Is there a way to use headphone line out and also still control the volume with the N5ii?

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #3,064 of 4,108
Unfortunately, most of the files are high resolution FLAC and some DSD64. That is the benefit of having a DAP right, because normal redbook files you could easily play on iPod for instance. With this USB problem it makes the external DAC feature almost useless and this is pity, hope Cayin will be able to resolve this issue soon with firmware update considering this as the major issue please.

In fact, DAP are supposed to be portable, USB DAC is a desktop replacement application, we don't undermine this features and has devoted a lot of resources to get it right, but from design and user-population point of view, USB DAC is not what the DAP are designed for.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 12, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #3,065 of 4,108
Using my N5ii as a DAC with my first amp ever:

Drives the 6XX much better. Way better imaging, soundstage, details and separation :)

Definitely, while N5ii and N5iiS are consider powerful among DAP, high impedance headphone requires voltage swing that can hardly provided by a portable player with a small 5V Lithium battery. In fact I just shared similar view to a N5 users through PM in HD600. The 2.5mm headphone output of our DAP is powerful enough to drive HD600 to extremely loud, it'll sound OK with simple music but when you listen to music that has a lot of instruments or involve dynamic passage, the headphone will sound dull, congested and lack of separation.d

My sales manager probably want to kill me when he saw this reply, but this is closer to reality. :sweat_smile:

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #3,066 of 4,108
In fact, DAP are supposed to be portable, USB DAC is a desktop replacement application, we don't undermine this features and has devoted a lot of resources to get it right, but from design and user-population point of view, USB DAC is not what the DAP are designed for.

I understand, but you have this as the feature, so it should work properly. Hope that Cayin will fix it soon with all of this resources assiged to that issue. I will keep my finger crossed.

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #3,067 of 4,108
Is there a way to use headphone line out and also still control the volume with the N5ii?

You are referring to Pre-out. Line out is a fixed voltage output and you are supposed to connect it to an amplifier with volume control (pre-amp or integrated amp). Pre-out is a variable voltage output and you are supposed to connect it to a power amplifier (no volume control by design)

N5ii provides line out only, Pre-out is not feasible. If you must, you can try to use the headphone out for that purpose, as long as you keep the volume below 90%, the distortion of double amplification isn't that bad and is consider "usable" by non-demanding users.

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #3,068 of 4,108
I understand, but you have this as the feature, so it should work properly. Hope that Cayin will fix it soon with all of this resources assiged to that issue. I will keep my finger crossed.

Didn't we say we are trying to improve that? If you want to pick on the wording, then I can tell you that we have fulfilled out claim already when we provide an usable USB DAC function for 24/48 music.

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #3,069 of 4,108
Didn't we say we are trying to improve that? If you want to pick on the wording, then I can tell you that we have fulfilled out claim already when we provide an usable USB DAC function for 24/48 music.

Indeed, so waiting for an improvement. Thank you very much!

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #3,070 of 4,108
Definitely, while N5ii and N5iiS are consider powerful among DAP, high impedance headphone requires voltage swing that can hardly provided by a portable player with a small 5V Lithium battery. In fact I just shared similar view to a N5 users through PM in HD600. The 2.5mm headphone output of our DAP is powerful enough to drive HD600 to extremely loud, it'll sound OK with simple music but when you listen to music that has a lot of instruments or involve dynamic passage, the headphone will sound dull, congested and lack of separation.d

My sales manager probably want to kill me when he saw this reply, but this is closer to reality. :sweat_smile:
What about low impedance but low sensitivity headphones like planar headphones?

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #3,071 of 4,108
What about low impedance but low sensitivity headphones like planar headphones?

Almost the same, but we change the subject from voltage swing to current capacity. the tiny battery simply can't provide the current required by these headphones. In fact, a lot of desktop headphone amplifier aren't capable of that as well, especially for the earlier models when they were designed before the planar headphones become popular.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #3,072 of 4,108
B6366C21-ABC5-406B-9F34-F2D2BD344D7B.jpeg
Almost the same, but we change the subject from voltage swing to current capacity. the tiny battery simply can't provide the current required by these headphones. In fact, a lot of desktop headphone amplifier aren't capable of that as well, especially for the earlier models when they were designed before the planar headphones become popular.
Mmm actually my n5iis drives my LCD2’s quite satisfactory on high gain and I am very pleased. It only looks silly...maybe I should get a smaller cable

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #3,073 of 4,108
I run my Sundaras on balanced and the N5ii drives it very well with headroom to spare even with my louder than average listening level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back