Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 1, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #272 of 4,108
Andy, can the menu language be set/changes during setup of the DAP? I’m in a Beijing and was thinking of popping out and grabbing one of these tomorrow (or TMall) but I’m not fluent with characters.

This DAP seems like a perfect fit for me - i’m kinda new to the whole HiFi thing so mid range is probably best for now. Actually this is my first head-fi post, hi! I think this would go well with my gear ... in the last few months i’ve picked up a pair of T90s, Elears and some Andromeda IEMs for out and about. I also have a Mojo so having the spdif over USB sounds like a plan too.

I don’t have a big quality music collection (just lots of low-res stuff!) so I’m mostly streaming Tidal. Is the N5ii is able to play Tidal offline as well? That would be very useful while I spend my saving switching my tunes over to lossless...

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #273 of 4,108
@Andykong the 2nd slot issue has to do with the fact that the RK3188 doesn't natively support 2 expandable slots.. etc

I wonder if this will be an issue with this. I just hope more manufacturers move away from the RK3188. Its a 4 year old SoC?

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #274 of 4,108
Andy, can the menu language be set/changes during setup of the DAP? I’m in a Beijing and was thinking of popping out and grabbing one of these tomorrow (or TMall) but I’m not fluent with characters.

This DAP seems like a perfect fit for me - i’m kinda new to the whole HiFi thing so mid range is probably best for now. Actually this is my first head-fi post, hi! I think this would go well with my gear ... in the last few months i’ve picked up a pair of T90s, Elears and some Andromeda IEMs for out and about. I also have a Mojo so having the spdif over USB sounds like a plan too.

I don’t have a big quality music collection (just lots of low-res stuff!) so I’m mostly streaming Tidal. Is the N5ii is able to play Tidal offline as well? That would be very useful while I spend my saving switching my tunes over to lossless...

When you startup the N5ii for the first time, the system initialization process will ask you to specify the language you want, so you don't have to worry about that.

In addition, the system setup menu will allow you to change the language setting later. The menu is fairly Android look-alike, you should be able to manipulate the system setup menu if you are familiar with Android phone.

I would like to remind you that Cayin didn't offer unlimited international warranty to our products. We only provide local warranty, so if you were to buy from Beijing, then the warranty of the N5ii remains in Mainland China. In case you need to claim warranty service, you need to send the DAP back to your seller in Beijing and ask them to submit the DAP to us for service.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 1, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #275 of 4,108
@Andykong the 2nd slot issue has to do with the fact that the RK3188 doesn't natively support 2 expandable slots.. etc

I wonder if this will be an issue with this. I just hope more manufacturers move away from the RK3188. Its a 4 year old SoC?

I see, so what is the symptom of the bug? when you playing a file in SD1 and want to select a song in SD2, the SD2 will not be accessible as if it is slept?

That's one of the reasons why we picked a new fairly new MCU for the i5 DAP, and we learned a very difficult lesson after that, so we stick with the "proven" choice in N5ii.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 1, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #276 of 4,108
For test purposes, I created a playlist with FLAC and DSD spanning both SD slots and internal storage, and the N5II played through it just fine. I'm not sure if this meets the criteria for the bug you mentioned, but my results were positive nonetheless.

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #277 of 4,108
I don't have a dap with dual sd slots on it, so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bug is when you are playing a file from slot #2, pause/stop, the DAP goes into hibernate/sleep mode, then when you turn it back on everything is froze. I could be way off, but I have read of people having issues when a card is in slot #2, especially with the Fiio players...

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #278 of 4,108
Interesting. I did not test that. :)

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #279 of 4,108
I don't have a dap with dual sd slots on it, so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bug is when you are playing a file from slot #2, pause/stop, the DAP goes into hibernate/sleep mode, then when you turn it back on everything is froze. I could be way off, but I have read of people having issues when a card is in slot #2, especially with the Fiio players...

I'm assuming a "quick" power off/on reset sorts it out?

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #281 of 4,108
He's referring to an issue with FiiO Android DAPs. I would hope one of the guys that has an N5II could chime in regarding this to see if the N5II has the same issue.

I'll try this out sometime this evening, see if I can't recreate the issue.

Dec 1, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #282 of 4,108
N3 is the first Hi-res DAP I owned. This looks like a good upgrade and a nice little Christmas gift for myself :beyersmile:

Dec 1, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #283 of 4,108
I'll try this out sometime this evening, see if I can't recreate the issue.
In the FiiO thread, the problem occurs when you pause the player while playing a song from SD card two. The player then goes to sleep while paused and when you wake it up, card two is no longer recognized or something like that. I don't own the FiiO player so I am going from memory from reading that thread.

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #284 of 4,108
Just tested this, and everything is fine. The player is not locked up after coming out of hibernation, and SD2 is still recognized. Also, the song I was playing from SD2 is still up and able to be played.

This issue does not seem to have found its way into Cayin's world. :D

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #285 of 4,108
Just tested this, and everything is fine. The player is not locked up after coming out of hibernation, and SD2 is still recognized. Also, the song I was playing from SD2 is still up and able to be played.

This issue does not seem to have found its way into Cayin's world. :D
That is such a huge relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back