Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #301 of 4,108
Confirmed, third party applications of N5ii cannot bypass the SRC of Android, they'll be preset to 44.1 which we think is the "mode" for lossless streaming right now.

On the other hand, Hiby R6 can so that, because they are using a more powerful MCU with 3G RAM, so if bypass SRC for third party app is important to you, you should check out the R6 as well.
Yes i believe they are launching on indiegogo in a couple of days. Can you please confirm if its re-sampled to 44.1 or 48 ?

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #302 of 4,108
Just spent a while this evening using a line switcher, going back and forth between the N5II and Opus#1.

Calling the N5II an upgrade doesn't feel exactly right. They are freakishly close in tone and performance. Too close for this to be a measurable upgrade. However, the N5II does some things better, and in every other aspect, is just as good. Which, if you've read my Opus#1 review, you'll know is HUGE praise for Cayin. For the past year, I've held the Opus#1 as the king of mid-tier. Nothing matched it... that I had heard.

The N5II does match it. Soundstage is equal. But... if I'm honest, the N5II is the tiniest, slightest, wee hair wider. But it's so close as to be practically a tie. The N5II has a little more warmth and body, giving vocals a rounded, more earthy quality. The Opus is drier and thinner.

Other than that, they trade blow for blow in every department of sound I listen for. These are two remarkable players.

Now, the Cayin N5II beats the Opus#1 handily in other areas, like build, aesthetics, and hardware features. Not to mention driving power. :)

Finding a full upgrade to the Opus#1 will cost you. As it should. The N5II is the better all around player, but it sits squarely in the same tier.

I took my Spartans out for a hardy walk this afternoon. Since they are CIEMs, they're better for that kind of activity than all the universals I have. I had them playing from the N5II in balanced. After the walk, I sat out on the back porch with a tall glass of ice water, smoked a cigar, and enjoyed some fine tunes. Cayin's N5II with Empire Ears' Spartan may be the best bang-for-your-buck system money can buy. The detail is incredible, the clarity is breathtaking, and all with such natural richness. For around $1K, I can't think of a more impressive setup. All the more expensive gear feels shamefully overpriced in comparison.

For a beta unit, this is very detail and well-expressed. I am sure anyone who is interested in the N5ii will get a better idea by now.

By the way, we have re-layout the PCB before we go for the real production, not a WOW different but noticeable when compare to the beta N5ii, so I bet you'll be excited when you get the REAL deal on hand. :ksc75smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #303 of 4,108
Yes i believe they are launching on indiegogo in a couple of days. Can you please confirm if its re-sampled to 44.1 or 48 ?

SRC default to 44.1 instead of 48, confirmed.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #304 of 4,108
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #305 of 4,108
For a beta unit, this is very detail and well-expressed. I am sure anyone who is interested in the N5ii will get a better idea by now.

By the way, we have re-layout the PCB before we go for the real production, not a WOW different but noticeable when compare to the beta N5ii, so I bet you'll be excited when you get the REAL deal on hand. :ksc75smile:
Can hardly wait for that!

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #306 of 4,108

Oh, I can hardly wait. :D

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #309 of 4,108
I haven't played around with streaming apps. But the other guys have. I'll let them answer if they will.

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #311 of 4,108
Will this be powerful enough to drive something like a MrSpeakers Aeon?

Depends on who you ask. I found Aeon didn't really benefit from a desktop amp. It sounded just as good from my DAPs. The Opus#2 drove it perfectly. And if I'm not mistaken, the N5II is more powerful.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #313 of 4,108

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #314 of 4,108
If someone would be kind enough to try this with either Neutron or Onkyo HF Player and test if those apps recognise the DAC and secondly if when connecting out through USB to another DAC, would these music apps play with unchanged SRC. Not a big problem if the inbuilt music app does the job well.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #315 of 4,108
SRC default to 44.1 instead of 48, confirmed.
Thanks!

So if the source (e.g. Spotify) is 44.1, does Android still do any form of DSP? Surely it's not going to SRC 44.1 to 44.1 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back