Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 2, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #286 of 4,108
Sounds like software-wise it's looking polished. Which is something that still plague other DAP makers other than AK. If Cayin pulls it off on release day then they already accomplish a huge feat. iBasso and Fiio can't be trusted on the software-side of things of a DAP. Shame, because the hardware is quite good.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #288 of 4,108
Sounds like software-wise it's looking polished. Which is something that still plague other DAP makers other than AK. If Cayin pulls it off on release day then they already accomplish a huge feat. iBasso and Fiio can't be trusted on the software-side of things of a DAP. Shame, because the hardware is quite good.

Oh, don't expect perfection. Not even from Cayin. As Beta Testers, we've been reporting back to Andy all the quirks we find. That information is strictly for Cayin only, so they can try and iron out as much of it as possible before release. Naturally, no company would publicize their bug-report for the pre-production stage. There's a reason it's not on the shelves yet.

I will say, even with the few rough edges I've found, the software is remarkably well polished. Music Priority Mode is in very good shape, which is where I've spent most of my time.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #289 of 4,108
Oh, don't expect perfection. Not even from Cayin. As Beta Testers, we've been reporting back to Andy all the quirks we find. That information is strictly for Cayin only, so they can try and iron out as much of it as possible before release. Naturally, no company would publicize their bug-report for the pre-production stage. There's a reason it's not on the shelves yet.

I will say, even with the few rough edges I've found, the software is remarkably well polished. Music Priority Mode is in very good shape, which is where I've spent most of my time.
Which is where i intend to spend hours and hours of uninterrupted listening.

Dec 2, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #290 of 4,108

That is true. But the basic things that should not interrupt tou from enjoying music should be stable before releasing a problem.

Not the same bugs that appears over and over in each model release for at least the 2 companies I mentioned.

Given the current state of DAPs. It makes the ridiculous pricing of AK sometimes look reasonable.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #293 of 4,108

Yes, we try to resolve as many problem as possible, but there are still issues that need a bit more time.

Nik has reported the hissing and unstable problem with USB Audio out, we have recreated the problem he mentioned, but this one takes longer than expected and we probably need to wait for the January firmware update before we can rectify the problem.

Pinky has reported a software volume control problem which we can't recreated so far, we have tried 3-4 sample already. We suspect this is a machine dependent bug, we are watching out on this closely right now

Yes, don't expect perfection, and that definitely applied to Cayin as well, even though we are working very hard to smooth things out. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #294 of 4,108
Pinky any thoughts on the pairing of the N5ii with the Empire Ears Spartans? I'm currently on the fence of upgrading from the N5 to the N5ii. I would like a balanced output and the idea of OTG storage is nice.

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #295 of 4,108
Pinky any thoughts on the pairing of the N5ii with the Empire Ears Spartans? I'm currently on the fence of upgrading from the N5 to the N5ii. I would like a balanced output and the idea of OTG storage is nice.

The N5II and Spartan are exceptionally wonderful together.

I spent quite a few hours today listening to N5II with my Spartan CIEM.

Sweet Jesus, what gorgeous music they make together!

In balanced, I heard very little hiss. Spartan is the most sensitive IEM I own, and I think I could just barely make out a small amount of noise between tracks. Impossible to hear when music is playing. I hear none at all with Encore or tia Fourté.

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #296 of 4,108
The N5II and Spartan are exceptionally wonderful together.
Well that makes my decision much easier! Thanks so much, going to place an order now :D

Dec 2, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #297 of 4,108
I took my Spartans out for a hardy walk this afternoon. Since they are CIEMs, they're better for that kind of activity than all the universals I have. I had them playing from the N5II in balanced. After the walk, I sat out on the back porch with a tall glass of ice water, smoked a cigar, and enjoyed some fine tunes. Cayin's N5II with Empire Ears' Spartan may be the best bang-for-your-buck system money can buy. The detail is incredible, the clarity is breathtaking, and all with such natural richness. For around $1K, I can't think of a more impressive setup. All the more expensive gear feels shamefully overpriced in comparison.

N5II 05.jpg

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #298 of 4,108
So what's the update on the Android up sampling and streaming services?

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #300 of 4,108
So what's the update on the Android up sampling and streaming services?

Confirmed, third party applications of N5ii cannot bypass the SRC of Android, they'll be preset to 44.1 which we think is the "mode" for lossless streaming right now.

On the other hand, Hiby R6 can so that, because they are using a more powerful MCU with 3G RAM, so if bypass SRC for third party app is important to you, you should check out the R6 as well.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back