Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Nov 30, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #257 of 4,108
I love the fishscale pattern on the back of the N5ii. I hope it looks as good IRL as it does in the photos.

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #258 of 4,108
I love the fishscale pattern on the back of the N5ii. I hope it looks as good IRL as it does in the photos.

It looks better than those photos. I kid you not.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #259 of 4,108
Wow very nice price!!! Interesting that this is basically a xdp300R/dp-x1 (hopefully stronger jack's) for $100 cheaper , with type -c coaxial output (welcome addition), oh my.

Not a fan of the rockchip CPU(same as the X5III and my X7II), and Android 5.1 (same as the X5III), but at the price I can dig it.

Hope the software is better, and the techs have figured out how to control the 2nd sd slot sleep issue, dictated by the CPU architecture.

Guess I have another toy to buy.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #260 of 4,108
Very interested in hearing more about this DAP.

I see that the product page mentions support of 2 x 256gb in first graphic but then 2 x 400gb further down.

Just wondering which it may be, and if this has been tested with fully loaded cards as yet (e.g. responsiveness and sorting)

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #261 of 4,108
Sorry. I don't have cards of that capacity. Let alone two of them. :)

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #263 of 4,108

Finally the wait is over, I can disclose the full detail of N5ii now.

The Suggested Retail price of N5ii is US$369.99.

For details of N5ii please refer to our product page at Cayin website.

The availability date and local retail price is subject to the final decision of your local distributor and dealer. Some of them are taking pre-order or listed N5ii in their website or Facebook already, I'll list them below for your reference.

USA: MusicTeck

UK: Advanced MP3
Hong Kong: Winner Concept
Singapore: Jaben
Philippines: Soundwave Audio Visual Store
Thailand: Holysai Shop

Spain: Zococity has placed order already, so they should have the N5ii up on their website very soon.

You can check out our distributor/dealer list if you need sales and availability information on other

Looks like the N5ii is just on time for Christmas shopping, so go hunt for it my friends. :beerchug::beerchug:

Awesome, thank you Andy! Just pre-ordered one through your Music Teck link. Can't wait to hear this piece!!

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #264 of 4,108
@PinkyPowers would you call the move from opus #1 to Cayin N5II an upgrade regarding sound? I am on the fence cause the balanced out of my opus died and the added benefits of a wheel and wifi are very tempting.

Just spent a while this evening using a line switcher, going back and forth between the N5II and Opus#1.

Calling the N5II an upgrade doesn't feel exactly right. They are freakishly close in tone and performance. Too close for this to be a measurable upgrade. However, the N5II does some things better, and in every other aspect, is just as good. Which, if you've read my Opus#1 review, you'll know is HUGE praise for Cayin. For the past year, I've held the Opus#1 as the king of mid-tier. Nothing matched it... that I had heard.

The N5II does match it. Soundstage is equal. But... if I'm honest, the N5II is the tiniest, slightest, wee hair wider. But it's so close as to be practically a tie. The N5II has a little more warmth and body, giving vocals a rounded, more earthy quality. The Opus is drier and thinner.

Other than that, they trade blow for blow in every department of sound I listen for. These are two remarkable players.

Now, the Cayin N5II beats the Opus#1 handily in other areas, like build, aesthetics, and hardware features. Not to mention driving power. :)

Finding a full upgrade to the Opus#1 will cost you. As it should. The N5II is the better all around player, but it sits squarely in the same tier.

N5II 01.jpg
N5II 04.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #266 of 4,108
Just spent a while this evening using a line switcher, going back and forth between the N5II and Opus#1.

Calling the N5II an upgrade doesn't feel exactly right. They are freakishly close in tone and performance. Too close for this to be a measurable upgrade. However, the N5II does some things better, and in every other aspect, is just as good. Which, if you've read my Opus#1 review, you'll know is HUGE praise for Cayin. For the past year, I've held the Opus#1 as the king of mid-tier. Nothing matched it... that I had heard.

The N5II does match it. Soundstage is equal. But... if I'm honest, the N5II is the tiniest, slightest, wee hair wider. But it's so close as to be practically a tie. The N5II has a little more warmth and body, giving vocals a rounded, more earthy quality. The Opus is drier and thinner.

Other than that, they trade blow for blow in every department of sound I listen for. These are two remarkable players.

Now, the Cayin N5II beats the Opus#1 handily in other areas, like build, aesthetics, and hardware features. Not to mention driving power. :)

Finding a full upgrade to the Opus#1 will cost you. As it should. The N5II is the better all around player, but it sits squarely in the same tier.

Very good! Thank you for your sharing!:smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 1, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #267 of 4,108

I very appriciate your time. All in all this is a tough decission with a partly working opus #1 laying around but i think the advantages in handling have convinced me to just order this little gem.

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #268 of 4,108
Wow very nice price!!! Interesting that this is basically a xdp300R/dp-x1 (hopefully stronger jack's) for $100 cheaper , with type -c coaxial output (welcome addition), oh my.

Not a fan of the rockchip CPU(same as the X5III and my X7II), and Android 5.1 (same as the X5III), but at the price I can dig it.

Hope the software is better, and the techs have figured out how to control the 2nd sd slot sleep issue, dictated by the CPU architecture.

Guess I have another toy to buy.

The 2nd sd slot sleep issue?This is new to me, can you tell me more about this?

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #269 of 4,108
Very interested in hearing more about this DAP.

I see that the product page mentions support of 2 x 256gb in first graphic but then 2 x 400gb further down.

Just wondering which it may be, and if this has been tested with fully loaded cards as yet (e.g. responsiveness and sorting)

Our mistake, will correct that ASAP. We have confirmed the N5ii can work with 400GB TF cards. The performance is quite linear, meaning the increased data amount will affect the response time but if you work out the number according to MB/s etc, the result should be linear.

In fact, a user just confirmed that even i5 can work with 400GB TF card without any firmware upgrade and the performance is reasonable.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...-pcm-64-128-dsd.802382/page-238#post-13882727

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back