Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Apr 2, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #2,011 of 4,108
I start suspecting it might be due to the fact that it's cold outside and the DAP got a bit cool, despite it's being safely ptotected by my parka and a passport in a leather cover. And perhaps it starts malfunctioning when getting cooler. Is that possible?
Freezing taken literally lmao :joy:
To answer your question, no. In fact, cooler temperatures may actually help to prevent the cpu from slowing down due to overheating.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #2,012 of 4,108
I need more data concerning a possible fix

Try clearing cache, turning the player off then on (not reboot) , leaving it on for the entire night, and turning it off and on again in the morning.

It may or may not reduce the frequency of freezes but I need some help (different people with different N5iis) confirming it.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #2,013 of 4,108
Canjam happened, so they will have been more involved with that.
It may be true for AndyKong but we expect to hear from @CayinSupport more frequently. They are giving global support to customers and are not making sales activities. Therefore, I assume that they do not get effected and get busy/unavailable due to meetings/events like Canjam.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #2,014 of 4,108
@Andykong and @CayinSupport has been more active on the thread and replied almost every question at the beginning(the first weeks of the product release). But things have changed by time in the negative way.. In the last month, both of them have rarely answered customer questions. They are somehow very very silent. Most of the people are waiting for the next firmware update to see whether all these reported bugs are completely solved, or not.
@Andykong and @CayinSupport , would you please give an exact date for the next firmware update? As far as I remember, it was said to be at the end of March in one of your previous messages. Please correct me if I am wrong. We'd like to hear more about the actual development progress related with the issues from Cayin official support.
Hi Congofather, sorry for the late reply! we were very busy in preparing and attending the Canjam Singapore events last month.This is one reason I haven't been active in past several days.Also, this is a thread for users sharing experience and their combination.So I PM the users who run into trouble to solve the problem instead of dealing technical issues here, which is another reson I haven't been "active" Actually, I read every post in this thread and understand your disappointment. I do wish our engineers can release the firmware to solve evey bug quickly. But as Andykong mentioned before, most bugs require a significantly amount of effort and resource to bring the root to surface. It will be much appreciated that you can wait patiently and give us sometime.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 2, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #2,015 of 4,108
Hi Congofather, sorry for the late reply! we were very busy in preparing and attending the Canjam Singapore events last month.This is one reason I haven't been active in past several days.Also, this is a thread for users sharing experience and their combination.So I PM the users who run into trouble to solve the problem instead of dealing technical issues here, which is another reson I haven't been "active" Actually, I read every post in this thread and understand your disappointment. I do wish our engineers can release the firmware to solve evey bug quickly. But as Andykong mentioned before, most bugs require a significantly amount of effort and resource to bring the root to surface. It will be much appreciated that you can wait patiently and give us sometime.
I hate waiting, that's why I'm trying to help in any way I can and hopefully I'll be able to speed it up by helping to narrow down the causes.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #2,016 of 4,108
Hello N5ii owners.
Well, like I just informed CayinSupport by PM, unfortunately I think erasing the cards inside the player may help a lot but is not a long term solution.
After experiencing a flawless player during a whole day yesterday, today I switched it on and as soon as I played a track the freezing happened again.
Twice in a matter of 5 minutes.
Back to square one...
Thanks for the explanation and information. I will send your detailed information to our engineer for test.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #2,017 of 4,108
My reading of the most recent post from Cayin is that there is no expected ETA for the next firmware update.

This unit is on the edge of brilliance and "not so much". The hardware is capable of great things but it needs a more fine tuned firmware in order to reach this greatness. I think Cayin has a pretty good idea what the issues are. Now it is time to meet the challenge.

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #2,018 of 4,108
@Andykong and @CayinSupport has been more active on the thread and replied almost every question at the beginning(the first weeks of the product release). But things have changed by time in the negative way.. In the last month, both of them have rarely answered customer questions. They are somehow very very silent. Most of the people are waiting for the next firmware update to see whether all these reported bugs are completely solved, or not.
@Andykong and @CayinSupport , would you please give an exact date for the next firmware update? As far as I remember, it was said to be at the end of March in one of your previous messages. Please correct me if I am wrong. We'd like to hear more about the actual development progress related with the issues from Cayin official support.

We didn't disappeared, Cayin stand by our products and our Software Engineer is working on the firmware with all the resources we can deployed. I hope this direct statement will offer some assurance to you and other N5ii users who are desperately waiting for an improved firmware.

I have explained my absent previously, and Silvia (CayinSupport) joined me to CanJam Singapore last week. She has announced our business trip to avoid misunderstanding.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...al-audio-player.862763/page-122#post-14118478

For the record, CanJam Singapore took place at 24-25 March, we start the preparation for this show immediately after I come back from CanJam New York, and we were fully occupied in the last 3-4 days immediately before we started our journey. We arrived at Singapore on 22nd and Silvia came back on 26th, take a 2 days break to compensate the working weekend and resume duty on 29th. I stayed back in Singapore till 29th, and resume duty today. I hope this will explain our "so-called" absent from forum.

On the other hand, your description of our involvement is inaccurate and invalid. You said we "has been more active on the thread and replied almost every question at the beginning(the first weeks of the product release)", are you implying that our involvement is falling apart from second week onward? To prove you wrong, I have counted the posts and Silvia has responded to this thread 33 times from 1 March to the time you post this allegation. If this is silent or "rarely answered customer questions", there is hardly any brand will meet your requirements in terms of customer service on public forum.

We have tried to be as transparent as possible and responded to the online community the best we could on the firmware development progress:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...al-audio-player.862763/page-117#post-14092096
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...al-audio-player.862763/page-122#post-14114871

Unfortunately the beta firmware couldn't go through the internal audit process (happened when we were away to Singapore), so we need to further improve the firmware before we can release an update. We might not be the most informative manufacturer on the planet regarding our firmware update plan, but we certainly have walked the extra mile when compare to fellow manufacturers.

I have a date for my next beta firmware but given the pressure and expectation building up with selected members of the forum, I'd rather follow the general industry practice on similar inquiry, so the official response is:
Cayin is working on a revised firmware to enhance the feature and reliability of N5ii, we shall announce the new firmware on our website and in this product discussion thread when we are ready.

Last but not least, I have apologized once regarding the overwhelmed technical support coverage in this thread. Thanks to @seanwee we have a Technical support thread now, we'll response/discuss the bug fixed and optimization of N5ii in the Techncial support thread.:beerchug:

Last edited:

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #2,019 of 4,108
In light of TBomb06 supposedly flawless N5ii, I have decided to run a week or fortnight long test of the N5ii.

I shall be resetting my unit (goodbye playlists :frowning2: ) using every single reset function possible (both software resets and recovery mode resets).

I'll use the N5ii unaltered for the first 1-7 days and if it runs flawlessly, I will download apps one by one to see if any one app is causing issues. Passing that, I will enable WiFi and Bluetooth to see if they will affect stability after use. Finally, I will connect it to PC and copy over some files. (maybe the data management of the N5ii gets corrupted when copying?)

I will not be touching the smart clean function. Its possible the "smart" clean has been cleaning away some essential processes which are important for stability.

I'll be using the same 2 microsd cards I mentioned in previous posts.

Edit : I'll also test out the eq and other bells and whistles to narrow down the cause of the instability.

Aw now I've gone and done it... :wink:

Also, FWIW, I did "erase" my SD card in the N5ii and I always power down the N5ii, remove the card, put it directly in my computer and copy my music over that way. Put the card back in the player, turn it on and scan new music.

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #2,020 of 4,108
Wait a second, it's been one day since I was asked to post photos and you are already accusing me of not having proof? do you realize we are real people with real lives? Sorry for not posting photos within 24 hours, I guess I got caught and I'm a big liar mr. headphone police officer.

Anyways here are the photos, not much to show since the damage is mostly internal, but I'm debating weather or not I should open the unit to take detailed photos of what has happened inside, witch I'm pretty sure has been the exact issue others have described; the headphone jacks (3.3 and bal 2.5mm ) are not well design and I suspect they are not secure within the aluminum frame of the unit and will pull the copper threads on the circuit board, just like others have reported.

Only thing I apologize for is the double post about this issue, I meant to post that second one in the technical support thread.

Last thing. Never settle for cheap plastic headphone jacks in this premium priced devices. It is the right of all of us to demand the best and toughest headphone jacks at these very high prices, after all and like I said, this is the most important connector of the device and the one that will receive the most abuse.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dylu6EYJQa5rr5Kj1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/j2vufmF2pnCtPA0m2

xBvLhvzU7ev0yOcC3
vCwTdHaXCMlFens23

Hi Elecroestatico, really sorry for the trouble caused! I cannot open your picture from my side, could you please send it to communty@cayin.cn so that I can give this feedback to our manufacture department. Where did you see 5 others report that ?Can I have the links?May I know which country are you from? You can contact your dealer to do a test and warranty.

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #2,021 of 4,108
Yours
Mine

Yours
Mine

I'm struggling to see any difference. The plug looks fine

Hi Elecroestatico, really sorry for the trouble caused! I cannot open your picture from my side, could you please send it to communty@cayin.cn so that I can give this feedback to our manufacture department. Where did you see 5 others report that ?Can I have the links?May I know which country are you from? You can contact your dealer to do a test and warranty.
The ones labelled "yours" are Elecroestatico's pictures.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #2,022 of 4,108
We didn't disappeared, Cayin stand by our products and our Software Engineer is working on the firmware with all the resources we can deployed. I hope this direct statement will offer some assurance to you and other N5ii users who are desperately waiting for an improved firmware.

I have explained my absent previously, and Silvia (CayinSupport) joined me to CanJam Singapore last week. She has announced our business trip to avoid misunderstanding.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...al-audio-player.862763/page-122#post-14118478

For the record, CanJam Singapore took place at 24-25 March, we start the preparation for this show immediately after I come back from CanJam New York, and we were fully occupied in the last 3-4 days immediately before we started our journey. We arrived at Singapore on 22nd and Silvia came back on 26th, take a 2 days break to compensate the working weekend and resume duty on 29th. I stayed back in Singapore till 29th, and resume duty today. I hope this will explain our "so-called" absent from forum.

On the other hand, your description of our involvement is inaccurate and invalid. You said we "has been more active on the thread and replied almost every question at the beginning(the first weeks of the product release)", are you implying that our involvement is falling apart from second week onward? To prove you wrong, I have counted the posts and Silvia has responded to this thread 33 times from 1 March to the time you post this allegation. If this is silent or "rarely answered customer questions", there is hardly any brand will meet your requirements in terms of customer service on public forum.

We have tried to be as transparent as possible and responded to the online community the best we could on the firmware development progress:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...al-audio-player.862763/page-117#post-14092096
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...al-audio-player.862763/page-122#post-14114871

Unfortunately the beta firmware couldn't go through the internal audit process (happened when we were away to Singapore), so we need to further improve the firmware before we can release an update. We might not be the most informative manufacturer on the planet regarding our firmware update plan, but we certainly have walked the extra mile when compare to fellow manufacturers.

I have a date for my next beta firmware but given the pressure and expectation building up with selected members of the forum, I'd rather follow the general industry practice on similar inquiry, so the official response is:
Cayin is working on a revised firmware to enhance the feature and reliability of N5ii, we shall announce the new firmware on our website and in this product discussion thread when we are ready.

Last but not least, I have apologized once regarding the overwhelmed technical support coverage in this thread. Thanks to @seanwee we have a Technical support thread now, we'll response/discuss the bug fixed and optimization of N5ii in the Techncial support thread.:beerchug:
I did write as the first "week(s)", not the first week and added that I expected the main support team should be more active. These are my personal thoughts and I'm behind them. I check this page every single day hoping to see a news/progress about the new firmware. That's why we want to hear "more" from you/your team.. I think there is nothing wrong with that!!.. The only thing I want as a N5ii user and a Cayin product consumer is to use a stable, responsive product with a small number of minor-only issues. I think I/we have the right to request that... Look forward to receiving the firmware update soon...

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #2,024 of 4,108
Almost my story today! Once I went outside, listening in the PRIORITY MODE from INTERNAL MEMORY, it started freezing and went on with this stop/resume loop for at least twenty minutes until I just took it out and rebooted. Enraged! I never lost so many ganglias in one day.
Hi Gayron, I read through your post and deeply understand your disappointment. My colleague Andy has made a reply regarding freezing problem yesterday : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-n5ii-technical-support-thread.875864/page-3

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #2,025 of 4,108
Thank you very much for the effort to dig into the freeze problem, maybe this has illustrate why we have not been able to solve the problem completely: the freeze problem has certain degree of randomization. We have collected some operation "patterns" from users but most of them are not valid when we go through a large scale testing with multiple DAPs. From what we observed, the freeze was caused by some hidden status in the system.

In order to catch this nasty bug, we have developed a special beta firmware to keep track of the machine status, the player will operate in developer mode with this beta firmware and generate a log entry whenever the DAP is freezed during playback. We are in the process to recruit beta testers who has experienced frequent freeze or pause during their daily use, we hope the beta firmware will record detail of machine operation status and review the root cause of the bug.

Right now the Beta firmware is only available in Domestic (no Google Play) version. Once we field tested the beta firmware, we'll extend the bug status collection to oversee users. I'll issue a call for beta tester notice here and in the main thread.

We have devoted a lot of resource trying to trace the issue with no luck, let's hope we can identify the root cause of this bug as soon as possible.

Hi Gayron, I read through your post and deeply understand your disappointment. My colleague Andy has made a reply regarding freezing problem yesterday : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-n5ii-technical-support-thread.875864/page-3
Quoted for convenience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back