Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Apr 2, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #1,996 of 4,108
In light of TBomb06 supposedly flawless N5ii, I have decided to run a week or fortnight long test of the N5ii.

I shall be resetting my unit (goodbye playlists :frowning2: ) using every single reset function possible (both software resets and recovery mode resets).

I'll use the N5ii unaltered for the first 1-7 days and if it runs flawlessly, I will download apps one by one to see if any one app is causing issues. Passing that, I will enable WiFi and Bluetooth to see if they will affect stability after use. Finally, I will connect it to PC and copy over some files. (maybe the data management of the N5ii gets corrupted when copying?)

I will not be touching the smart clean function. Its possible the "smart" clean has been cleaning away some essential processes which are important for stability.

I'll be using the same 2 microsd cards I mentioned in previous posts.

Edit : I'll also test out the eq and other bells and whistles to narrow down the cause of the instability.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #1,997 of 4,108
Just a little report on today's N5II operation: wonderfully no freezes or interruptions! I have listened one album in Android mode from SD card with WiFi on and in PowerAmp, with mini LastFm scrobbler running in the background. Now listening from internal memory - zero interruptions. Just had a little static in DAC mode this morning, but having disconnected/connected the cable a couple of times things got back to normal. Really puzzled by this device. Perhaps it only required some initial circuits burn-in after the first launch... Only God knows...

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #1,998 of 4,108
Just a little report on today's N5II operation: wonderfully no freezes or interruptions! I have listened one album in Android mode from SD card with WiFi on and in PowerAmp, with mini LastFm scrobbler running in the background. Now listening from internal memory - zero interruptions. Just had a little static in DAC mode this morning, but having disconnected/connected the cable a couple of times things got back to normal. Really puzzled by this device. Perhaps it only required some initial circuits burn-in after the first launch... Only God knows...
How long have you been using it in total?

My unit did seem to freeze less over time but I dismissed it as either a placebo effect or as a stability variance across clear caches.

See if it continues to run as well as today.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #1,999 of 4,108
Hi all, sorry for missing you because of the weekend! As for the freezing problem with SD cards, I just received a solution from @karlus today . He did a double wipe , reinstalled the latest firmware and most importantly erased his SD cards in the dap and eventually his player runs stable and perfect.Damaded or incompleted files may cause freeze. Maybe you can double check and erase your SD card to see what happens. If the problems still remains, please help collect below information and PM me to clarify the problem: 1. Firmware Version 2. file format, bit and sample rate while freezing 3.How often? 4.Any third party Apps installed? 5.First time after several months of regular usage or three times? 5.Does it remians if you copy your songs from SD card to native player? 6.Does it stop suddenly in playing and resume itself in 10s later? or other specific performance?

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 2, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #2,001 of 4,108
Hi all, sorry for missing you because of the weekend! As for the freezing problem with SD cards, I just received a solution from @karlus today . He did a double wipe , reinstalled the latest firmware and most importantly erased his SD cards in the dap and eventually his player runs stable and perfect. Maybe you can double check and erase your SD card to see what happens. If the problems still remains, please help collect below information and PM me to clarify the problem: 1. Firmware Version 2. file format, bit and sample rate while freezing 3.How often? 4.Any third party Apps installed? 5.First time after several months of regular usage or three times? 5.Does it remians if you copy your songs from SD card to native player? 6.Does it stop suddenly in playing and resume itself in 10s later? or other specific performance?
Argh, I just started a test of sorts.
In light of TBomb06 supposedly flawless N5ii, I have decided to run a week or fortnight long test of the N5ii.

I shall be resetting my unit (goodbye playlists :frowning2: ) using every single reset function possible (both software resets and recovery mode resets).

I'll use the N5ii unaltered for the first 1-7 days and if it runs flawlessly, I will download apps one by one to see if any one app is causing issues. Passing that, I will enable WiFi and Bluetooth to see if they will affect stability after use. Finally, I will connect it to PC and copy over some files. (maybe the data management of the N5ii gets corrupted when copying?)

I will not be touching the smart clean function. Its possible the "smart" clean has been cleaning away some essential processes which are important for stability.

I'll be using the same 2 microsd cards I mentioned in previous posts.

Edit : I'll also test out the eq and other bells and whistles to narrow down the cause of the instability.

Nevermind, eff the test, I'll just reformat the sd cards inside the player and see if it works perfectly. I'll do the test again if the freezing persists.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #2,002 of 4,108
Hi all, sorry for missing you because of the weekend! As for the freezing problem with SD cards, I just received a solution from @karlus today . He did a double wipe , reinstalled the latest firmware and most importantly erased his SD cards in the dap and eventually his player runs stable and perfect.Damaded or incompleted files may cause freeze. Maybe you can double check and erase your SD card to see what happens. If the problems still remains, please help collect below information and PM me to clarify the problem: 1. Firmware Version 2. file format, bit and sample rate while freezing 3.How often? 4.Any third party Apps installed? 5.First time after several months of regular usage or three times? 5.Does it remians if you copy your songs from SD card to native player? 6.Does it stop suddenly in playing and resume itself in 10s later? or other specific performance?
I don't see a format option, is it just simply erase SD card? No formatting needed?

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #2,004 of 4,108
Hi seanwee, thanks for your kindness and help in this thread. Yes, just simply erase SD card will help, no formatting needed
Seems odd that simply erasing will help :/

Nevermind, I'll try it out and see if it actually works.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #2,005 of 4,108
@Andykong and @CayinSupport has been more active on the thread and replied almost every question at the beginning(the first weeks of the product release). But things have changed by time in the negative way.. In the last month, both of them have rarely answered customer questions. They are somehow very very silent. Most of the people are waiting for the next firmware update to see whether all these reported bugs are completely solved, or not.
@Andykong and @CayinSupport , would you please give an exact date for the next firmware update? As far as I remember, it was said to be at the end of March in one of your previous messages. Please correct me if I am wrong. We'd like to hear more about the actual development progress related with the issues from Cayin official support.

Canjam happened, so they will have been more involved with that.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #2,006 of 4,108
Hello N5ii owners.
Well, like I just informed CayinSupport by PM, unfortunately I think erasing the cards inside the player may help a lot but is not a long term solution.
After experiencing a flawless player during a whole day yesterday, today I switched it on and as soon as I played a track the freezing happened again.
Twice in a matter of 5 minutes.
Back to square one...

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #2,007 of 4,108
Hello N5ii owners.
Well, like I just informed CayinSupport by PM, unfortunately I think erasing the cards inside the player may help a lot but is not a long term solution.
After experiencing a flawless player during a whole day yesterday, today I switched it on and as soon as I played a track the freezing happened again.
Back to square one...
Hi seanwee, thanks for your kindness and help in this thread. Yes, just simply erase SD card will help, no formatting needed
Seems odd that simply erasing will help :/

Nevermind, I'll try it out and see if it actually works.
I though it was too good to be true.

Thanks for the update :)

I'll be continuing with the tests.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #2,008 of 4,108
Hello N5ii owners.
Back to square one...
Almost my story today! Once I went outside, listening in the PRIORITY MODE from INTERNAL MEMORY, it started freezing and went on with this stop/resume loop for at least twenty minutes until I just took it out and rebooted. Enraged! I never lost so many ganglias in one day.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #2,009 of 4,108
Almost my story today! Once I went outside, listening in the PRIORITY MODE from INTERNAL MEMORY, it started freezing and went on with this stop/resume loop for at least twenty minutes until I just took it out and rebooted. Enraged! I never lost so many ganglias in one day.
Hmm, my freezes so far are a one off thing that occurs once every 20 hours to 3 days. It did freeze twice in an hour once but that was on the first week I got my player.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #2,010 of 4,108
I start suspecting it might be due to the fact that it's cold outside and the DAP got a bit cool, despite it's being safely ptotected by my parka and a passport in a leather cover. And perhaps it starts malfunctioning when getting cooler. Is that possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back