Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 12, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #692 of 823
Mine does not wake on any sort of tap anywhere on the screen… I have to use the on/off button. Are you sure it’s not just randomly turning on the screen as I had this issue after I installed the 1.1 firmware and had to factory reset to fix it. Since the factory reset it has been working fine through multiple shutdowns as well and no issues at all but obv no screen tap wake is happening…

I tried this a bunch of times yesterday and I would say that at least the ring button (didn't try elsewhere) responds to double-tap. It's just picky about what's considered a tap. I felt like it was almost 100% if I was being really pedantic about how I press. Not sure what I end up doing, that thing or just go with the on/off button.
What is this? Like a game of chance? Mine, updated to v1.1, even activates the screen to see the battery icon charging and being completely off: three taps on the light ring. On the go: three taps on any area of the screen and of course on the illuminated touch ring. 🤗

May 12, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #693 of 823
Mine does not wake on any sort of tap anywhere on the screen… I have to use the on/off button. Are you sure it’s not just randomly turning on the screen as I had this issue after I installed the 1.1 firmware and had to factory reset to fix it. Since the factory reset it has been working fine through multiple shutdowns as well and no issues at all but obv no screen tap wake is happening…
Definitely not random. Really the double tap that wakes it, both on the screen and on the ring button. Although I do think it also did some random waking up earlier, but not anymore now, maybe after I turned it off and on again?

Maybe a factory reset would stop the double tap from functioning, but i don't really feel like doing that, because it's not an issue.

May 12, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #694 of 823
I keep the light on the ring turned off but have tried with it on just now and still no wake on touch. When it was doing it before the factory reset it would do it randomly even after several shut downs but after the reset it has not done it even after shut down on any sort of tap anywhere. Took a look in the cayin update page and there is no mention of touch or tap to wake and checked the user manual as well and it only mentions using the power button to turn the screen on or off so this seems like abnormal behaviour to me …

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #695 of 823
@Andykong Could you please confirm if this dap is supposed to have any sort of touch to wake the screen functionality after the latest fw v 1.1 update ? It looks to me like several owners are exhibiting this behaviour but I have not experienced it after I factory reset it a week or so ago… I’d just like to know which is the expected behaviour ? Am I missing a feature after the factory reset or is the wake on tap abnormal behaviour ? Thanks

May 12, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #697 of 823
@Andykong Could you please confirm if this dap is supposed to have any sort of touch to wake the screen functionality after the latest fw v 1.1 update ? It looks to me like several owners are exhibiting this behaviour but I have not experienced it after I factory reset it a week or so ago… I’d just like to know which is the expected behaviour ? Am I missing a feature after the factory reset or is the wake on tap abnormal behaviour ? Thanks
The double tap does work for me but it's not consistent.

Kida like the shuffle all button takes a while to register after you tapped it starts working.

EDIT:
I am starting to think it's not the software that's buggy it's the screen sensitivity that's the issue and causing the inconsistent responses to touching a function?

The N3 Ultra makes up for in its SQ but it's a decision for potential buyers to judge on whether the trade offs are worth the compromises At this time.
I am hopeful that most issues getting addressed in a timely fashion as I really like this player.

Relaying end user experiences are important to make a informed decision on whether or not to lay out the cash for the N3U or choose something else.

So its good seeing Cayin being on top of updates and pushing out improvements for the N3U.

I am happy to see more uses share and help others on here.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #698 of 823
We are working on a workaround to enable double tap wake up, this is a work in progress, please be patient if you are looking forward to this feature, it won't be long.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 12, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #699 of 823
We are working on a workaround to enable double tap wake up, this is a work in progress, please be patient if you are looking forward to this feature, it won't be long.
Is adding a "Album Artist" category something we should be looking forward too? Or is it not achievable?
Coz right now the folder category is the only one i can use without my music scatter all around on album with Various Artists. Plus the Folder category does not even have the side scrolling alphabet for quick scrolling.

May 12, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #700 of 823
The double tap does work for me but it's not consistent.

Kida like the shuffle all button takes a while to register after you tapped it starts working.

Anyone defending this software I don't understand? If it's not the software that's so laggy or the screen is very unresponsive and doesn't register the touch input either way it's where this player falls short in the user experience.

Makes up for in its SQ but it's a decision for potential buyers to judge on whether the trade offs are worth the compromises.

Relaying end user experiences are important to make a informed decision on whether or not to lay out the cash for the N3U or choose something else.

I am happy to see more uses share and help others on here.
I am not experiencing any lag or delay on shuffle but I only have about 400 songs on it. I am also not experiencing any issues anywhere, it’s all working fine but the only question is if this tap to wake is supposed to be enabled and work on v1.1 or not.. it’s not mentioned on the update page and it’s not mentioned in the user manual. From Andygong’s response it does not seem like it’s supposed to be enabled but still people are having it happen though not me since the reset… this all sounds to me like the fw update enabled this feature but it is still experimental and should not be on and likely the reset disables it as it should. Oh and to second what @ToneDeafMonk said, it does feel to me like I/we’re doing the testing that Cayin should have done before release…

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #702 of 823
What I'm surprised with is Cayin hasn't reached out with any acknowledgment or posts for any reviews or feedback that is not super positive.

I work with Hiby, Shanling as a beta tester and they love the input.

How companies respond to criticism and feedback speaks volumes about its character IMO.

Love to see some things I brought up in my review explained or addressed not in a defensive way but as a "We are working on it" way like the post @Andykong just did with the double tap.

listing the things Cayin is working on would go along way for anyone considering purchasing this player.

This is my first experience with the brand
Not a fanboy yet but could be turned.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #703 of 823
@Andykong I've noticed skipping(like half a second, randomly) listening to music, via usb to my PC or Phone. I believe this is an known issue when will it be addressed ? Also will the N3 ultra latency be lowered as it has sync issues on my pc with games and video.

Thank you !

May 12, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #704 of 823
Is adding a "Album Artist" category something we should be looking forward too? Or is it not achievable?
Coz right now the folder category is the only one i can use without my music scatter all around on album with Various Artists. Plus the Folder category does not even have the side scrolling alphabet for quick scrolling.
It's been ask about before, but I'll add a +1 as well for "Album Artist". I will also like to add a request for Album play through feature which would work like Folder play through, but be player global, meaning play through would work whether navigating and playing from Artist, Album, Genre and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back