Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 23, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #811 of 877
Having another issue post update.
Files I load onto SD card either directly through the N3U or directly loaded onto SD card with a reader can't be recognized by the DAP.

I can't find any way to refresh library in the MENU?

Something I am missing?
Did you do "audio settings" --> music scan --> scan all?

May 23, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #812 of 877
Having another issue post update.
Files I load onto SD card either directly through the N3U or directly loaded onto SD card with a reader can't be recognized by the DAP.

I can't find any way to refresh library in the MENU?

Something I am missing?
When you perform Music Scan, the DAP will refresh the music library according to the current content of your SD. If you didn't perform Music Scan, you can only view the newly added file through Folder view.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 23, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #813 of 877
I don't know Why my N3Ultra can't see new update zip file in TF card ?
Where did you store the update zip file in your TF card? Directly under the root directory?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 23, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #814 of 877
Did you do "audio settings" --> music scan --> scan all?
Found it thank you, I kept circumventing the Audio Settings because honestly why is it there and not under hardware player settings?

I absolutely love this DAP's Sound Signature but despise how poorly the software and user experience are.

The N3 Ultra is a keeper for me even when I am so outspoken and critical about this player, it's positive attributes over way it's shortcomings. As the Canucks Audioholics like to say "Its All About The Music"
Logo_blackandyellow.png

As I have been switching between the Kann Max , M5 U and N3 Ultra and it's so frustrating to be missing core functions like a Auto Shut Off ( Can't be done ) No search functions? And no dimable ring light.

There is not a perfect DAP out there for me yet the Kann Max comes close.

Maybe there will be a N4 and it will have it all?

May 23, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #815 of 877
Found it thank you, I kept circumventing the Audio Settings because honestly why is it there and not under hardware player settings?

I absolutely love this DAP's Sound Signature but despise how poorly the software and user experience are.

The N3 Ultra is a keeper for me even when I am so outspoken and critical about this player, it's positive attributes over way it's shortcomings. As the Canucks Audioholics like to say "Its All About The Music"

Yeah the main reason I found it easily was because I knew it was "somewhere here" as I've done it a bunch of times :D At the end of the day, it's not a large number of UI elements, eventually we remember all that we use. That Canucks audioholics image applies quite well! More music, less stanley cup harhar (sorry, I prefered Edmonton to win :beyersmile: )

May 23, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #816 of 877
Soooo, I'm testing a new cable. Plug it into a pair of cheap Artti R1, on the account that this cable should counterbalance their lack of treble. Plug it into the N3U, tap play and horror: the first song, a Halestorm ballad, just voice and piano, the voice sounds distorted. Ok, I thought, not a good pair, even though I found it suspicious. Switched the cable to Mest 3, plugged in, better, but still distorted. Then I start thinking that's it, something happened. Tried tube, solid state, it just didn't sound the same as before. At this point I started worrying, then I had an idea. Can you guess it?

It was the PEQ 😃 last time I was playing with it, something startled me and I pushed the 1K band really high up. Then I couldn't come back to listening to music, I forgot about it and the next day it was still like that. As soon as I deactivated the PEQ, things went back to normal.
Moral of the story, before panicking, retrace your steps, check settings and save yourself an adrenaline rush.

As I have been switching between the Kann Max , M5 U and N3 Ultra and it's so frustrating to be missing core functions like a Auto Shut Off ( Can't be done )
I hear you. Even my most basic player has it.
At least, if you forget it on, it doesn't drain the battery quickly. I often forget it on overnight and it's still OK the next day.

But when it comes to sound, it's a great player in a small-ish package. I can carry it in my pocket, for example, which is a big plus for me. Try doing that with the new AK SP3000T 😄

May 23, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #817 of 877

Logo_blackandyellow.png
As I have been switching between the Kann Max , M5 U and N3 Ultra and it's so frustrating to be missing core functions like a Auto Shut Off ( Can't be done ) No search functions? And no dimable ring light.

There is not a perfect DAP out there for me yet the Kann Max comes close.

Maybe there will be a N4 and it will have it all?
The ring light can be turned off under Display settings

May 23, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #818 of 877
The ring light can be turned off under Display settings
Yes there's the on/off but it would be nice to have something in-between.
Normally mine is on, but if I'm borderline sleeping in bed with some ambient/chillout music then I turn it off. But then I'm blind-clicking it too :D

May 23, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #820 of 877
If you want to erase the music database, you can insert a TF card with no music files on it and perform a music scan, this will create a null music library to replace your previous music library. I haven't tried this with N3Ultra but that's how it work with other Cayin DAP.
I found out if you remove the TF card and perform a music scan (scan all folders) the music database is erased. There was no need to insert an empty TF card at all.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #822 of 877
I would never have guessed how capable this DAP's EQ is here. My surprise in capital letters came when I connected my brand new DUNU Falcon Ultra, a musical all-rounder and in just a burn of 5 hours. The first thought was: do I need something else? I do not need anything else!. Wonderful, extraordinary, and I love the NEO 5! I insist, really, look for a good IEM-DAP synergy (and cable), which by the way is very good in this Falcon, turn on your N3U, choose the album of preference according to your mood (of soul), press play, and please yourself in your particular session that life is four days.👌🏻

Don't worry too much, you need very little, maybe $800/1000 is to blame. I've been thinking for days about upgrading to an IEM above $500, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around that investment, or even harder! I'm trapped? 😄

I would be listening for hours without getting tired. This industry has evolved so much that these days it turns out that less is now more. It is a pleasure how we can now listen to the music we love, and all of this in digital technology, who would have thought it just two decades ago. End!

I will always be grateful to this forum...😉

May 23, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #823 of 877
⁉️SOLVED: After 3 days leaving the player on my desk I cannot turn it on, it looks like completely dead. Connecting to USB charger or Mac with original cable doesn’t turn ring led neither. Is there any way to make hard reset?
UPD: After a few attempts to press the power button with different duration, ±10 sec worked and it booted up. 98% battery charge.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #824 of 877
Are there any similar DAPs that I should be cross-shopping when looking at the N3Ultra? Main IEMs are IER-Z1R, IE900, LCD-i4, Campfire sensitive set. (OG Andro, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back