Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 14, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #721 of 850
You spent close to $900 on n3 ultra !?! What
No that is what it would cost me to buy it in Canada including tax and that assumes free shipping. We pay an arm and a leg for audio gear in this country.

May 14, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #722 of 850
No that is what it would cost me to buy it in Canada including tax and that assumes free shipping. We pay an arm and a leg for audio gear in this country.
That's about 600 Eur, the price I've paid for it, so I feel your pain. I do love the player, so no regrets whatsoever. The simple interface is right up my alley, no need for streaming, BT, etc. Simplicity: turn on, select album, click play, enjoy the music.
I do have other daps, so if it breaks I can wait for the repair. Try to listen to it, you might like it enough to overcome your worries.

May 14, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #723 of 850
1715651316732.jpeg

The Announcement of N3Ultra Firmware v1.2

New Functions and System Optimization

1. Add a new double-click wake-up function;
  2. Rectify the problem of the left and right channels reversed during DSD512 playback;
  3. Other optimization and bugs fixed
Firmware ULR: https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/643.html

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N3Ultra as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through local update. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center on our official website.

A Kind Reminder to N3Ultra Firmware Upgrade
  • Each version of firmware might contain minor differences, consumer please decide on your own accord whether you need to update the firmware of your N3Ultra Digital Audio Player.
  • Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrades will not cause any damage to user information, but Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to malfunction or any other reason. For these reasons, we strongly suggest you remove all storage devices inserted into the DAP before you perform the firmware upgrade.
  • The N3Ultra firmware cannot be used in other products, and the firmware from other products cannot be used in N3Ultra

Attention
  • Please make sure the N3Ultra has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your TF card has more than 2GB of storage before the firmware update.

Firmware Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the Support Center of Cayin website, please select “Personal Audio” on this page.
  2. You should receive a compressed file (cayin_N3Ultra_xxx_xxxxxxx_8.1_user_update.zip) for the N3Ultra firmware update. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of your TF card, and insert the TF card into N3Ultra before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Select "System Settings" on the main menu, at the Setting menu page select “System” and then select "FOTA* Updates” to enter the firmware update interface;
  5. Select “Local updates” in the System Update screen.
  6. Proceed to the root directory of your TF card, then select the firmware file.
  7. The system will remind you that the device will be restarted during the firmware update, select “OK” in the confirmation window, and the system will start the firmware upgrade process;
  8. Do not operate the device during a firmware update. After the upgrade is complete, the system will reboot automatically and you can use the DAP when the device resumes from reboot.
  9. Please delete the firmware file from the TF card after you have completed the firmware update process
* FOTA stands for Firmware Over-The-Air

N3U Menu Desktop.jpg

N3U Menu Setting.jpg

Local Update.jpg

Device will be restarted.jpg
Thanks for releasing this new firmware so quickly but after the issues caused by the previous update and also the loss of the ability to edit the drop down menu a.i. the little pencil next to the drop down settings cog went mia, I for one am not so keen to update to this new version without a bit more information. Could you please answer the following questions?:
- Is there a menu option to enable or disable the double-click wake up function ?
- Could you please give a bit more information about point 3 Other optimisations and bug fixes ?

Thanks

May 14, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #724 of 850
Thanks for releasing this new firmware so quickly but after the issues caused by the previous update and also the loss of the ability to edit the drop down menu a.i. the little pencil next to the drop down settings cog went mia, I for one am not so keen to update to this new version without a bit more information. Could you please answer the following questions?:
- Is there a menu option to enable or disable the double-click wake up function ?
- Could you please give a bit more information about point 3 Other optimisations and bug fixes ?

Thanks
Are we able to revert firmware ?

May 14, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #726 of 850
That's about 600 Eur, the price I've paid for it, so I feel your pain. I do love the player, so no regrets whatsoever. The simple interface is right up my alley, no need for streaming, BT, etc. Simplicity: turn on, select album, click play, enjoy the music.
I do have other daps, so if it breaks I can wait for the repair. Try to listen to it, you might like it enough to overcome your worries.
Exactly, I said it in another message and now I make your words my own...and it sounds great! What headphones do you use? In my case, I love my NEO 5, which I listen to at a volume of no more than 20% and at HI gain. Crazy!

May 14, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #728 of 850
This is great sounding dap. Im very impressed. If search function is possible add via firmware update, it would be great.
It's a shame they have implemented a double tap to wake feature and yet the more important search option is still missing. Although for me, the poor battery life reported by other users is the main achilies heel of this DAP. 6-7 hours playback on the balanced port is not really up to the mark.

May 14, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #729 of 850
It's a shame they have implemented a double tap to wake feature and yet the more important search option is still missing. Although for me, the poor battery life reported by other users is the main achilies heel of this DAP. 6-7 hours playback on the balanced port is not really up to the mark.
About battery capacity, IMHO this is Ok time for player to remain portable - not heavy, not bulky. Modern life already stiched us to the power bank or other energy sources. I fly time to time on long haul flight up to 20-25 hours trips and I cannot imagine that 6-7 hours will not be enough considering breaks for sleeping, eating, reading etc. Just curious, what is your use case that requires longer battery life?

May 14, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #730 of 850
About battery capacity, IMHO this is Ok time for player to remain portable - not heavy, not bulky. Modern life already stiched us to the power bank or other energy sources. I fly time to time on long haul flight up to 20-25 hours trips and I cannot imagine that 6-7 hours will not be enough considering breaks for sleeping, eating, reading etc. Just curious, what is your use case that requires longer battery life?
I think you measure/judge the battery life of a dap from a single playback session. For me, it's very important for my DAP to provide 10+ hours playback from the balanced (4.4 mm) port over a few playback sessions. I listen to music around 1 to 1.5 hours daily so I would prefer my DAP lasts a week without charging (I find charging devices regularly to be a very annoying chore).

May 14, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #731 of 850
I think you measure/judge the battery life of a dap from a single playback session. For me, it's very important for my DAP to provide 10+ hours playback from the balanced (4.4 mm) port over a few playback sessions. I listen to music around 1 to 1.5 hours daily so I would prefer my DAP lasts a week without charging (I find charging devices regularly to be a very annoying chore).
Got it. It’s all about finding a balance between portability and practicality for your specific use case.

May 14, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #732 of 850
In my case I don't care how long the battery lasts. I bought this N3U for when I'm at home, in my favorite chair or on the patio, while surfing the web, to recreate, relax and concentrate on the music of my liking. I charge it at night while I sleep and it doesn't bother me...says a very happy user. So I don't care if it lasts 6 or 12 hours between charges. Above all, how good this DAP sounds prevails.

May 14, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #733 of 850
In my case I don't care how long the battery lasts. I bought this N3U for when I'm at home, in my favorite chair or on the patio, while surfing the web, to recreate, relax and concentrate on the music of my liking. I charge it at night while I sleep and it doesn't bother me...says a very happy user. So I don't care if it lasts 6 or 12 hours between charges. Above all, how good this DAP sounds prevails.
I've been following your comments on this thread for a while now. I'm happy you are enjoying your N3 Ultra but it also seems you get super defensive whenever someone criticizes this DAP.

While sound too is one of my top priorities but so is a bug-free stable OS and a good battery life. According to @ToneDeafMonk Shanling M5 Ultra provides a more stable OS, better battery life and similar SQ with better output power. So when we express our concerns here hopefully it will encourage Cayin to provide a better experience for all users in the future, not just one particular user. Cheers.

May 14, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #735 of 850
I've been following your comments on this thread for a while now. I'm happy you are enjoying your N3 Ultra but it also seems you get super defensive whenever someone criticizes this DAP.

While sound too is one of my top priorities but so is a bug-free stable OS and a good battery life. According to @ToneDeafMonk Shanling M5 Ultra provides a more stable OS, better battery life and similar SQ with better output power. So when we express our concerns here hopefully it will encourage Cayin to provide a better experience for all users in the future, not just one particular user. Cheers.
I just feel proud to enjoy this DAP, nothing more than that. I understand your wishes and respect them, of course. There is so much to choose from... Later I will invest more money and level up if possible, but I assure you that this N3U will stay in my collection. When I need portability I go with my HiBy R3 II or my cell phone. I also love this small model from HiBy.

Receives a warm greeting. 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back