Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #181 of 649
Yeah I am actually looking forward to pure offline device, I rarely use the wifi, I just find it convinient for updates or transfering files maybe. And I did read the post thanks for quoting it, that is why I was wandering if some hard switch was possible when not using it to avoid interference. But if the antenas can cause problems even without powering them, it is understandable. I really like supporting the offline daps and bringing back the tube sound in portable form!

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #182 of 649
I feel like not puttining the wifi adapter is a bit too extreme. Maybe a hardware switch to easily turn it on/off with a power cut instead of totally removing it could be possible, just a thought for future versions. This sounds more like a marketing trick to show the audiophiles how dedicated Cayin is to the sound :)
No point in keep discussing the lack of BT and WiFi here.
N3Ultra does not have it. Whoever MUST have BT and/or WiFi - should look for a different DAP. Simple.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #183 of 649
Tbh, I'm ok with this purist approach over a DAP that has more features but has to compromise on sound quality, or offers an objectively worse UX than a simple burner phone. But I'm also someone who would rather use a wired connection if at all possible. I'm not sold on BT yet as my main method of transmission even for portable devices.

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #184 of 649
I think that the battery will last much longer than 2-3 yrs. Maybe you can ask N3Pro owners how the battery is holding up. It would be nice if these devices were designed for easy battery replacement in mind.
why should this battery behave different to any of the more than 20 smartphones, dac amps and what not i used the last 10 yrs? is it some kind of new magical chemistry they used? sure, if you only use it occasionaly it might last longer, but i listen to music for 8-12hrs daily. anyways this device isnt for me, i was just adding a factor to consider in your comparison.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #185 of 649
why should this battery behave different to any of the more than 20 smartphones, dac amps and what not i used the last 10 yrs? is it some kind of new magical chemistry they used? sure, if you only use it occasionaly it might last longer, but i listen to music for 8-12hrs daily. anyways this device isnt for me, i was just adding a factor to consider in your comparison.
Fair enough, my use case is much different then yours. If you put it like that, the Woo dongle will last forever, while any battery powered device it leeches power from will meet its battery junkyard fate of planned obsolescence due to design which does not incorporate easy battery replacement. Anyway, it's not all doom and gloom for the N3Ultra, I'll get to enjoy listening to music through it until it meets its fate. I still have my Creative Nomad Jukebox 30GB player which still plays the music I loaded on it many years ago because it was designed with battery replacement as standard.

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #186 of 649
wow not even my ipad 1 lasted longer than 5 years wwhile having about half the stamina after pretty much exatly 2 yrs., let alone any of my notebook batteries. cool how you use your devices. you seem to have better skills in charging a liion battery than me. i wonder why some manufacturers even write that in their manuals. oh and btw its the number of charging cycles that kills a battery over time, no matter if you load it copletely or just a bit. every time connected to a charger it counts as a full charge, but maybe thats also hokuspokus of physics.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #187 of 649
71f1e3ealy1ho90pp9j7uj21z416p7wh.jpg
71f1e3ealy1ho90pnqwi0j21z41747s6.jpg
71f1e3ealy1ho90pnzzi5j21z414we5k.jpg
71f1e3ealy1ho90poeo72j21z413h4qp.jpg
71f1e3ealy1ho90pnxrkpj21z410ze6e.jpg

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #188 of 649
I'm very much liking what I see here. A portable player with "tube sound" sounds wonderful. I don't stream and if I am using BT, it's via the phone.

That said, I have not used a Cayin DAP, so those who have past experience, how good/bad is their I/O interface and library managing?

I have a very large library that I like using, and just want to understand what I may have to compromise on.

My past 2 DAP's have been a Fiio X7mk2 and the X11+. The X11+ I/O is just fine for my needs.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #189 of 649
Cayin uses HiBy software. The Cayin music player for Android that will be used is a re-skinned version of HiBy Music. This can be downloaded from the google play store and run on any android device if you want to try it out.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #190 of 649
Cayin uses HiBy software. The Cayin music player for Android that will be used is a re-skinned version of HiBy Music. This can be downloaded from the google play store and run on any android device if you want to try it out.
As far as I understand it. The slimmed down Hiby App software used won't allow any of the plug-ins or MSEB and that's a shame, otherwise it's a excellent player /app

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #192 of 649
As far as I understand it. The slimmed down Hiby App software used won't allow any of the plug-ins or MSEB and that's a shame, otherwise it's a excellent player /app
That is my understanding. I guess HiBy wants to keep those features unique to HiBy players. You will get PEQ though.

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #193 of 649
That is my understanding. I guess HiBy wants to keep those features unique to HiBy players. You will get PEQ though.
Love to see the PEQ 10 bands not 5 @Cayin please 🙏

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #194 of 649
Wow, just wow. Love the tonality of all the Cayin stuff I've tried so far...this things looks just great.

Well done Cayin.

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #195 of 649
I Would believe you over a second hand report.
Screenshot_20240328_082609_Facebook.jpg
How about moving the phone away, problem solved and just enjoying the music? Cayin already told us no streaming and those who buy it will be exactly who should buy it. Maybe this isn't for you?

I like this idea of a Puritan DAP that you buy and just focus on listening to music. FYI local music on a quality shielded Micro SD Card always sounds a little better than the same Hi-Res streamed file that has to go through all that WIFI or BT noise, and go through onboard Memory which isn't always the highest quality even on $1000 DAPs I've tested (N3 Ultra has 16GB but reserved for system use only)

So again let's appreciate;

1) - Cayin made another small portable Tube DAP.

2) - They removed as much interference as possible to give us the cleanest sound quality they can at a mere $529.

3) - We get the real Cayin Music software as on their more expensive DAPs.

4) - We now get the tube sound via Balance 4.4.

That's enough to make me happy but if it's not for you, wait for something else from someone else or Cayin down the line.

We ask for too much functionality sometimes, then complain when it doesn't work well together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back