Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 27, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #6,211 of 6,262
sticky control button? Turn it off, try to spray WD40 near the buttons, leave it dry for 1 day, turn on again. If this don't work, you need to email service@cayin.cn for further support, maybe you need to open up the back panel and clean the buttons thoroughly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 27, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #6,212 of 6,262
Today, my N3 started just randomly pausing or skipping forward or backward. I swapped SD cards and did a factory reset but neither of those worked. Has anybody run into this before or have a solution?

I had a problem like that with a particular iem that has a mic. If I use a stereo adapter with that iem then it is fine. It also might help if there is an option (I think there is) to turn off letting the jack sense when something is plugged in.

If you have used that headphone/iem/bud before with no problem than just ignore this post.

Mar 28, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #6,213 of 6,262
sticky control button? Turn it off, try to spray WD40 near the buttons, leave it dry for 1 day, turn on again. If this don't work, you need to email service@cayin.cn for further support, maybe you need to open up the back panel and clean the buttons thoroughly.
I tried the WD40. It did not work. The buttons do not feel like they are sticking at all. If I leave it perfectly still it plays ok, but if it is disturbed even slightly, something as small as dropping a piece of paper on it, it either skips forward or back or pauses. I really hope the service has a solution. I've enjoyed the player a lot, but if it only lasts a year and a half before it's no longer working I will be very disappointed.

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #6,214 of 6,262
I had a problem like that with a particular iem that has a mic. If I use a stereo adapter with that iem then it is fine. It also might help if there is an option (I think there is) to turn off letting the jack sense when something is plugged in.

If you have used that headphone/iem/bud before with no problem than just ignore this post.

After reading this I thought I'd try it. I ran the N3 through a Bluetooth speaker. It worked no problem. Put my headphones in and it started doing it again. Thing is I've been using these headphones (KZ-ZSN) with no problem for close to a year. I tried another pair of headphones (KZ-ES4) that I used to use with it and it still did it, though it seemed like not as much. Neither of these IEMs has a mic. I'm at a loss of what to do. Hopefully Cayin will have an answer for me.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #6,215 of 6,262
I was contacted by service@cayin.cn today. They say that I need to send it in to get the headphone jack repaired. I'm going to have to weigh the cost of repairs and shipping versus possibly getting another player that would hopefully last longer. If there are recommendations, I would be happy to hear them.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #6,216 of 6,262
I was contacted by service@cayin.cn today. They say that I need to send it in to get the headphone jack repaired. I'm going to have to weigh the cost of repairs and shipping versus possibly getting another player that would hopefully last longer. If there are recommendations, I would be happy to hear them.

Both KZ-ZSN and KZ-ZSN are earphones with line control to skip track on the cable? If that is the case, can you try an earphone without line control just to narrow down the problem?

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #6,217 of 6,262
Both KZ-ZSN and KZ-ZSN are earphones with line control to skip track on the cable? If that is the case, can you try an earphone without line control just to narrow down the problem?
No. Neither of them have a control on the cable. I was using them for close to a year with no problem. I tried my wife's earbuds which are simply Sony earbuds and the same thing happens.

Apr 4, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #6,219 of 6,262

I think I'm just going to get a bluetooth cable for my IEMs since i's the jack and limp it along until I can afford a new player. Thank you for bringing up the headphone jack. It was bit different than that problem but you pointed me in the right direction.

Apr 17, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #6,220 of 6,262
Cayin has chosen to bring the SPDIF signal out on some unused pins of the USB C connector - but the SPDIF signal is not part of the USB standard pin-out.
So their cable won't work with any other device, unless it also has the non-standard wiring of SPDIF on those pins.
Hi @DBaldock9, unfortunately I read this only now after purchasing a cable to use between my Oneplus7T and Cayin 5C, the phone would not recognize that there is audio cable in the USB connector and will not play sound through it, but only the phone speakers. Is there a way to make it work? Or did I just waste my money on this cable?
Alternatively would you know a cable that will serve this purpose - to connect my phone via the USB-C and the C5? Would the one by Hiby Type-C to 3.5mm coax work?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 17, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #6,221 of 6,262
Hi @DBaldock9, unfortunately I read this only now after purchasing a cable to use between my Oneplus7T and Cayin 5C, the phone would not recognize that there is audio cable in the USB connector and will not play sound through it, but only the phone speakers. Is there a way to make it work? Or did I just waste my money on this cable?
Alternatively would you know a cable that will serve this purpose - to connect my phone via the USB-C and the C5? Would the one by Hiby Type-C to 3.5mm coax work?

Thanks in advance.

Cayin C5? you mean C5DAC? C5 is a headphone amp that only accept 3.5mm line level input, C5DAC is a DAC/Amp that accept USB Audio input. The coaxial connector on CD5AC is an OUTPUT, not an input, our USB to 3.5mm coaxial cable won't for C5DAC even with our own N3 or N5ii DAP.

If you want to connect a mobile phone to C5DAC, you need a USB-C to USB-mini cable. For more detail about connecting a mobile phone to C5DAC, you can refer to the following review in HeadGear, it showed some photo for your reference.

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #6,222 of 6,262
Cayin C5? you mean C5DAC? C5 is a headphone amp that only accept 3.5mm line level input, C5DAC is a DAC/Amp that accept USB Audio input. The coaxial connector on CD5AC is an OUTPUT, not an input, our USB to 3.5mm coaxial cable won't for C5DAC even with our own N3 or N5ii DAP.

If you want to connect a mobile phone to C5DAC, you need a USB-C to USB-mini cable. For more detail about connecting a mobile phone to C5DAC, you can refer to the following review in HeadGear, it showed some photo for your reference.
Hi Andykong, indeed, I mean the C5 headphone amp. As you make reference it only accepts 3.5mm input, hence the purpose of this particular cable, was to use the mobile phone as a source (USB-C) to the C5 (3.5mm). So, do you mean that this cable will not work for this purpose? Therefore, did I wasted money on the cable?

Thanks

May 21, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #6,223 of 6,262
The playback of my Cayin N3 is very jittery. This occurs when walking using headphones and when connected to my car via Bluetooth.
I have the latest version of software.
With headphones, there is no problem.
I there a setting that I need to adjust?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #6,225 of 6,262
The playback of my Cayin N3 is very jittery. This occurs when walking using headphones and when connected to my car via Bluetooth.
I have the latest version of software.
With headphones, there is no problem.
I there a setting that I need to adjust?
Thanks.
I assume you mean when walking and using bluetooth headphones and not wired? I have had that occasionally with one specific pair. If I restart the N3 it seems to fix the issue. In regard to the car, that may be more complicated. We purchased an Opal Adam around the time I purchased my N3 and it would not connect to the media system. Turns out it was a problem with the media system as that has been replaced with a 2nd generation model and the N3 connects fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back