Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 1, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #5,806 of 6,262
I think what most of us are looking forward to as an upgrade is the N3ii :wink:

If I may initiate a wishlist of sorts, wi-fi and no Android please!

We have "talked" about this as a "vision", but nothing serious so far, not even a project code has been assigned.

N6 was released on Dec 2014, and N6ii is under development.
N5 was released on July 2015, and N5ii was released on December 2017
i5 was released on June 2016, and we decided to skip the Mark 2 given the similarity with N5ii
N3 was released on March 2017

According to these trend, what is the earliest release date of N3 successor .... if we finally go for it? :ksc75smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 1, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #5,807 of 6,262
We have "talked" about this as a "vision", but nothing serious so far, not even a project code has been assigned.

N6 was released on Dec 2014, and N6ii is under development.
N5 was released on July 2015, and N5ii was released on December 2017
i5 was released on June 2016, and we decided to skip the Mark 2 given the similarity with N5ii
N3 was released on March 2017

According to these trend, what is the earliest release date of N3 successor .... if we finally go for it? :ksc75smile:
Next year should be fun then! :p

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #5,810 of 6,262
To clarified the issue of digital output, we have tested the N3 under the latest v3.1 firmware and this is our final finding:
  • When playback PCM files, Volume and Gain setting are disabled, but EQ is working, you can turn off the EQ if you want to opt our from EQ usage.
  • When playback DSD file (both DoP and D2P setting), Volume, Gain and EQ are all disabled.

These are applicable to both USB Audio Out and S/PDIF Coaxial output.

We do not recommend user to fall back to previous firmware because of the digital output issue because you need to go all the way back to v2.0. There are bugs and modification that believe far more important.

To be honest, we are still not 100% sure if we have done the right thing because we have received numerous inquiry or requests to reinstate the volume and EQ feature in Digital output. As of the current status, we'll not claim N3 as bit perfect. We find the term vague and is more conceptual or marketing featured instead of precise and well-defined like other engineering trems. There isn't a well-defined list on what can or can't be done on digital level before we can still be considered as bit perfect. We have eliminated all unnecessary digital manipulation to achieve a high quality digital output but it is not RAW bitstream either, we

For the record, the request for bit-perfect output start all the way back in April 2017 (page 80):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...coax-out-for-150.833932/page-80#post-13416400

I had make an official explanation to this issue on 1 May 2017, I was a bit upset when I wrote this reply because some users accused Cayin for not being honest and silent on the bit-perfect issue. That was the time when I was traveling to US for CanJam SoCal and HeadFi had a complete site redesign so things were slowed down because of that.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-108#post-13463244

Volume and gain are still working on 3.1, as other user wrote some post ago.

Im wondering... how can be volume be set in a digital domain? isn't a work of the dac+amp to do that?

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #5,811 of 6,262
I'm confused. Just updated to firmware 3.1 mainly so that my USB output would be "more" bit-perfect (although I understand that Cayin doesn't like that term).
Anyway ... I'm outputting from the N3 to an iFi Micro BL via USB, and the volume control on the N3 still affects the volume. Even the L/M/H gain settings change the volume.

How is this possible?

p.s. I checked and am definitely on firmware v3.1
Volume and gain are still working on 3.1, as other user wrote some post ago.

Im wondering... how can be volume be set in a digital domain? isn't a work of the dac+amp to do that?

We have tested N3 with iDAC-6 and confirmed that both Volume control and Gain has been disabled. When you connected the N3 to external DAC through USB Audio, the volume control interface will pop up when you push the volume bottom, the number will increase or decrease in response to your control, but the actual volume output from DAC will not be changed, the USB Audio output is set to Native so the change you noticed on the UI screen does not affect the actual output.

By the way, the N3 DAP has DAC+amp circuit, you can consider the DAP as player + DAC + Amp in one box.

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #5,812 of 6,262
Today is the 25th birthday of Cayin, we served the high-end audio business since 8th August 1993 and have developed over 400 Hi-Fi products in past 25 years, ranging from amplifier to Digital Audio Players (DAP). We pay attention to detail because we believe this is what it takes to reproduce music naturally. With your blessing, we shall continue to work with dedication and strive for excellence for the years to come.

N8 DAP is the keynote product of our Silver Jubilee celebration. This is our first price-no-objective high-end flagship portable digital audio player and it delivers best possible high resolution audio performance to portable users. Please check out our official N8 launch video for more detail.

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #5,813 of 6,262
Happy Anniversary!!!!!! :beers::beers::birthday::birthday::cake::cake::champagne::champagne::champagne_glass::champagne_glass::cocktail::cocktail::tropical_drink::tropical_drink::wine_glass::wine_glass::bouquet::bouquet::two_hearts::two_hearts:

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #5,814 of 6,262
We have tested N3 with iDAC-6 and confirmed that both Volume control and Gain has been disabled. When you connected the N3 to external DAC through USB Audio, the volume control interface will pop up when you push the volume bottom, the number will increase or decrease in response to your control, but the actual volume output from DAC will not be changed, the USB Audio output is set to Native so the change you noticed on the UI screen does not affect the actual output.

By the way, the N3 DAP has DAC+amp circuit, you can consider the DAP as player + DAC + Amp in one box.

I have tested with Chord Mojo and then you are right, Volume and Gain are disabled (the numbers increase/decrease, but its not making any effect as you said)

BUT, I tested with XDUOO XD-05 and then Volume and Gain are ENABLED.... how it can be possible?

(both tests through: N3 usb-c -> otg cable-> microUSB cable -> dac USB in)

I'm sorry, this is not important at all. I just feel curious about it.

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #5,815 of 6,262
I'm new to this thread and looking at buying a N3. I normally use Aeon Flow Open Planar Headphones with my main system and I am wondering how well these might work with a N3 ? Has anyone tried this or have an opinion on how well they might match ? They rate at 13 Ohm, 94 dB.

I also have a pair of Bose QC35 ... same question. I can use these either via BT or wired.

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #5,816 of 6,262
I'm new to this thread and looking at buying a N3. I normally use Aeon Flow Open Planar Headphones with my main system and I am wondering how well these might work with a N3 ? Has anyone tried this or have an opinion on how well they might match ? They rate at 13 Ohm, 94 dB.

I also have a pair of Bose QC35 ... same question. I can use these either via BT or wired.
Excellent headphones you have there! IMHO they deserve better than the N3. I like the N3 for it’s natural balance, but my best headphones, the Audioquest Nightowls really only shine when I run them from the Chord Mojo. And the AEON are better than the Owls... Mojo recommended, N3 is a decent transport, but I changed to Hiby R3 because of it’s form factor and touch interface.

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #5,817 of 6,262
... IMHO they deserve better than the N3. ....

Indeed so ... I would add I was looking at the N3 for only occasional use when I'm on the road and didn't want to splash out on a more expensive DAP or transport/DAC/AMP combo. Your H3 transport idea is also interesting which I could pair with a Topping NX4DSD that I also have ... but I am ideally looking for an all-in-one sub $200 and the N3 seems to come well recommended.

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #5,818 of 6,262

I have a pair of T50rp mk3 rated at 50 Ohms, 92dB which is a semi-open planar. The N3 powers them just fine. However, the N3 failed to deliver when I tried using my other planar the TH500rp which is rated 48 Ohms, 93db. I suggest going to a local store to sample them with your headphone if possible.

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #5,819 of 6,262
I have tested with Chord Mojo and then you are right, Volume and Gain are disabled (the numbers increase/decrease, but its not making any effect as you said)

BUT, I tested with XDUOO XD-05 and then Volume and Gain are ENABLED.... how it can be possible?

(both tests through: N3 usb-c -> otg cable-> microUSB cable -> dac USB in)

I'm sorry, this is not important at all. I just feel curious about it.

This is new to me, and very interesting indeed, we'll try to find a XDUOO to check this out, can't comment before we can experiment this in our control test.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #5,820 of 6,262

N3 works with QC35 just fine, BT or wired.

Full size headphone with 94dB/mW is kind of tough for N3, and planar headphone are even more demanding when compare to dynamic, so I am reluntant to recommend N3 in this pairing. N3 is one of the more powerful DAPs at its price range. It can drive AEON to very loud, and sound quite alright, you can experience the sound signature of AEON in this setup when playback simple, non-demanding music. Typical problems with under-powered planar are lack of dynamic, congested soundstage and below par separation. If you can live with these limitation as occasional on-the-go setup, then N3 will be acceptable for AEON and in fact I don't think you have a lot of choice at these price range and portability.

The other option is the add a C5 into the chain. This will reduce the portability but the overall performance will be enhanced significantly.

I have a pair of T50rp mk3 rated at 50 Ohms, 92dB which is a semi-open planar. The N3 powers them just fine. However, the N3 failed to deliver when I tried using my other planar the TH500rp which is rated 48 Ohms, 93db. I suggest going to a local store to sample them with your headphone if possible.

Because that related to the current requirement of headphone, while sensitivity is more related to the rated output in Vrms or watt per channel at a specific loading. The magnetic components of the planar drivers draws a lot of current, and some design are more demanding on current then others. You can't predict the current requirement of a headphone, and we don't have a standard method to measure the current capability of a DAP, so the mix and match related to current requirements will remain a trial and error situation, that's why an user-exchange platform like the HeadFi forum is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back