Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #5,776 of 6,262
I had a similar issue to what is being described at one point and attributed it to firmware as I went from 3.1 back down to 3.0 and the problem quit. May have been dumb luck and good timing, but it worked for me.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #5,777 of 6,262
I had a similar issue to what is being described at one point and attributed it to firmware as I went from 3.1 back down to 3.0 and the problem quit. May have been dumb luck and good timing, but it worked for me.

Could be a bug in 3.1 then. At the time I thought maybe there was something about the jack on the new iem/bud... this is going to drive me crazy now trying to remember which one. I obviously have way too much stuff.

Just had a thought... maybe it was a full moon night or there were gremlins about....

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #5,780 of 6,262

Wiljen, did you changed the N3 back to v3.1 afterward? Wander if it will fail again when upgrade to v3.1 again.

Hello,
I bought N3 like a year ago with a pair of beyerdynamic 1350. Everything was great until last week. I have a very strange problem. N3 stops and starts, or changes tracks by itself. I am not sure it is a problem with the headphone jack or headphones themselves. The strange part is both N3 and heaphones work fine with other headphones/players. Only when i am using them together I have this problem. The problem gets worth when I am constantly moving around.
Any idea what is the problem?

To the best of my memory, DT1350 come with 3.5mm TRS connector and there isn't any TRRS 4 pole version, correct? If fall back to v3.0 can rectify the problem, try upgrade to v3.1 again after that, that will confirm whether it is a firmware problem or a matter of system status that created the malfunction.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 23, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #5,781 of 6,262
I will try tomorrow and see if it reappears with 3.1

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #5,782 of 6,262
Could be a bug in 3.1 then. At the time I thought maybe there was something about the jack on the new iem/bud... this is going to drive me crazy now trying to remember which one. I obviously have way too much stuff.

Just had a thought... maybe it was a full moon night or there were gremlins about....

If you were in the Colorado, USA area, you might have seen some Hail Goblins... :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/Reverii/ph....1073741831.280359278708761/1763675160377158/

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #5,783 of 6,262
Is there any way of establishing if the N3 is using APTX with compatible headphones via bluetooth? Other dap's I have owned show this but I am yet to see it on the N3.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #5,784 of 6,262
I put 3.1 back on my N3 this morning and have been using it all morning and the behavior has not reappeared. I am going to leave it on 3.1 and see if it recurs over the next few days as if memory serves it didn't start immediately last time so it may take a bit to show up again.

P.S. @Andykong , I had sent you a pm the other day if you hadn't seen it yet.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #5,785 of 6,262
Newbie question, if I want to use the Cayin N3 with a FiiO E17K or Mojo DAC, I know I need a cable. Cayin's CS-40TC35 Type-C to 3.5mm Coaxial is $25 on eBay. Is this the same as a $10 USB Type C to 3.5mm AUX cable? It looks the same but will it work? Sorry again for the dumb question.

Would someone please help me out with the question above? Is the official Cayin cable the only one that will work if I want to connect my Cayin N3 to an external DAC like a iFi micro iDSD BL? Appreciate the help....

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #5,786 of 6,262
Would someone please help me out with the question above? Is the official Cayin cable the only one that will work if I want to connect my Cayin N3 to an external DAC like a iFi micro iDSD BL? Appreciate the help....

The Cayin cable is the only guaranteed to function correctly. Others may work, but with the Cayin not being particularly expensive, why take the risk?

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #5,787 of 6,262

There are two different digital audio signals available on the USB connector of the N3 - the standard USB signal, and a SPDIF signal (added by Cayin, to some unused pins).
So, any USB-C cable should work, for sending USB audio to an external DAC.
But, you'll need a special cable, which connects to the normally unused pins on the USB connector, to bring the non-standard connections for SPDIF out to your DAC.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #5,788 of 6,262
Is there any way of establishing if the N3 is using APTX with compatible headphones via bluetooth? Other dap's I have owned show this but I am yet to see it on the N3.

N3 supports aptX on transmission only,and don't support apt-x on reception part. We have worked on it before. Unfortunately, we have searched but we couldn't find any MCU chip/solution provider that has the apt-X in receive mode in place, and we don't have the budget to sponsor a MCU chip to develop this routine for our DAP specially.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 25, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #5,789 of 6,262
I had 3.0 when the problem started, I update it to 3.1, It works one day without problem but today again it started. I put version 2.2 but the problem persists.
My conclusion is most probable it is a sort of hardware problem the headphone or N3 I still do not know

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #5,790 of 6,262
Wiljen, did you changed the N3 back to v3.1 afterward? Wander if it will fail again when upgrade to v3.1 again.

To the best of my memory, DT1350 come with 3.5mm TRS connector and there isn't any TRRS 4 pole version, correct? If fall back to v3.0 can rectify the problem, try upgrade to v3.1 again after that, that will confirm whether it is a firmware problem or a matter of system status that created the malfunction.

Yest it is 3.5mm but it comes with a convertor to 6.3. It is 3 poles and I think that is the problem. Is there any way to disable that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back