Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 26, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #5,791 of 6,262
Mine started the random jump business this morning. Could be sitting on the desk part way through a song and jump to something else or reboot. looks to be something in 3.1 that goes sideways on occasion. or maybe this player just has hardware glitch as it is starting to get some age on it. (One too many days in a pocket?)

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #5,794 of 6,262
I am asking if their is any way to "scrobble listened tracks" and sync the data with a last.fm account. I see no such option, but since many modern players support this I wanted to find out if the N3 can do it as well. :)

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #5,795 of 6,262
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #5,796 of 6,262
Thank you for the reply, but I am not completely sure how this helps or answers my question. Or am I missing something?
I know what scrobbling is, I just do not know if there is a way to extract the data of the listened tracks on my N3 and sync/upload that data to my last.fm account, as I have done this with numerous other devices.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #5,797 of 6,262
Thank you for the reply, but I am not completely sure how this helps or answers my question. Or am I missing something?
I know what scrobbling is, I just do not know if there is a way to extract the data of the listened tracks on my N3 and sync/upload that data to my last.fm account, as I have done this with numerous other devices.

I think that was for those of us, like me,who did not know what scrobbliing is.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #5,799 of 6,262
I am asking if their is any way to "scrobble listened tracks" and sync the data with a last.fm account. I see no such option, but since many modern players support this I wanted to find out if the N3 can do it as well. :)

I think that, due to the limited resources (probably internal storage RAM & Flash ROM), the player S/W doesn't store data about which tracks are being played.
If you listen from a Playlist, then you could use the path data from the Playlist file, to know which tracks you've listened to.
It shouldn't be too hard to create a script that will run on a PC, and format the Playlist data, so that it can be output to sync with a last.fm account.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #5,800 of 6,262
I'm confused. Just updated to firmware 3.1 mainly so that my USB output would be "more" bit-perfect (although I understand that Cayin doesn't like that term).
Anyway ... I'm outputting from the N3 to an iFi Micro BL via USB, and the volume control on the N3 still affects the volume. Even the L/M/H gain settings change the volume.

How is this possible?

p.s. I checked and am definitely on firmware v3.1

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #5,801 of 6,262
Mine started the random jump business this morning. Could be sitting on the desk part way through a song and jump to something else or reboot. looks to be something in 3.1 that goes sideways on occasion. or maybe this player just has hardware glitch as it is starting to get some age on it. (One too many days in a pocket?)

The random jump sounds like a software glitch to me, I don't think it is a hardware failure otherwise it should be deteriorated in a straight line, but refreshing the software (i.e., installing firmware) seems to improve the situation short-termed, so I bet the money on a software issue.

If the random jumping is indeed a software glitch, it might either get out of the glitch after a long pause, or reboot itself when the instruction can no longer be executed. If the situation occurs again, mark down the songs you last heard (format, resolution, last entry/first entry of a folder, playlist or cue file? .. etc etc), this might help us to improve the situation.

You have sent an email to me? I didn't recall that and I couldn't find the PM again, can you please bump the PM?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 31, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #5,802 of 6,262
The random jump sounds like a software glitch to me, I don't think it is a hardware failure otherwise it should be deteriorated in a straight line, but refreshing the software (i.e., installing firmware) seems to improve the situation short-termed, so I bet the money on a software issue.

If the random jumping is indeed a software glitch, it might either get out of the glitch after a long pause, or reboot itself when the instruction can no longer be executed. If the situation occurs again, mark down the songs you last heard (format, resolution, last entry/first entry of a folder, playlist or cue file? .. etc etc), this might help us to improve the situation.

You have sent an email to me? I didn't recall that and I couldn't find the PM again, can you please bump the PM?

Ok, I'll try and keed a journal on it for a bit. I'll resend the PM.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #5,803 of 6,262
Ok, I'll try and keed a journal on it for a bit. I'll resend the PM.

Lets hope the journal won't build up into something significant. :beerchug:

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #5,804 of 6,262
Cayin has revised the N5ii to N5iiS, check it out if you are planning to upgrade your N3 DAP:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back