Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 21, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #5,836 of 6,262
Please check the connection instruction of your Swan 2.1 speaker. My educated guess is to connect the 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable from N3 to the Audio IN (i.e., the upper row of RCA) of the woofer, and then connect RCA cables from Speaker out (lower RCA) to left and right speaker respectively.

Yes, that is how the connections are made when I connect the speakers to other sources but when I connect the N3 to the RCA inputs on the woofer (upper row via the 3.5mm to RCA cable as you've said), the N3 doesn't sense that there is a 3.5mm jack plugged into the DAP.

However, the N3 senses that there is a jack plugged in when I connect the Left RCA (3.5mm to RCA cable, White) into either one of the Speaker out RCAs on the bottom row and output changes to PO/LO. The Right RCA (3.5mm to RCA cable, Red) doesn't do this. Once I begin playing music via PO/LO, it will continue to do so and I can unplug the RCA (3.5mm to RCA cable, white) from the Speaker out RCA (woofer, bottom row), connect it to the RCA inputs on the woofer (upper row), and reconnect the left and right speakers to the RCA out (woofer, bottom row). Pausing the music will immediately switch the output back to S/P.

The N3 does not sense a 3.5mm jack either when the RCA is not connected to the speakers (as expected?)

I've put some more photos to illustrate what I'm talking about.

As you can see in the top left corner of the screen, the output is still S/P. =(
IMG_20180821_172638.jpg

Connecting the white RCA connector to either of the speaker outputs allows the N3 output to change to PO/LO.
IMG_20180821_172725.jpg

IMG_20180821_172533.jpg

This does not achieve the same as connecting the Left RCA to the woofer speaker outs. N3 output still shows S/P.

IMG_20180821_172747.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #5,837 of 6,262
Yes, that is how the connections are made when I connect the speakers to other sources but when I connect the N3 to the RCA inputs on the woofer (upper row via the 3.5mm to RCA cable as you've said), the N3 doesn't sense that there is a 3.5mm jack plugged into the DAP.

However, the N3 senses that there is a jack plugged in when I connect the Left RCA (3.5mm to RCA cable, White) into either one of the Speaker out RCAs on the bottom row and output changes to PO/LO. The Right RCA (3.5mm to RCA cable, Red) doesn't do this. Once I begin playing music via PO/LO, it will continue to do so and I can unplug the RCA (3.5mm to RCA cable, white) from the Speaker out RCA (woofer, bottom row), connect it to the RCA inputs on the woofer (upper row), and reconnect the left and right speakers to the RCA out (woofer, bottom row). Pausing the music will immediately switch the output back to S/P.

The N3 does not sense a 3.5mm jack either when the RCA is not connected to the speakers (as expected?)

As you can see in the top left corner of the screen, the output is still S/P. =(

Connecting the white RCA connector to either of the speaker outputs allows the N3 output to change to PO/LO.

This does not achieve the same as connecting the Left RCA to the woofer speaker outs. N3 output still shows S/P.

Hi, thanks for your message! 1. Could you please check if the 3.5mm plug has been plugged into N3 properly? Your thumb was just in the way of the 3.5 plug in your pictures, so it was hard for us to tell if you had it in place 2. Please only plug the the 3.5mm side into N3 and unplug the RCA side from your Swan M10 speaker to see what happens. It will be much appreciated that you can take a photo for us!

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 22, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #5,838 of 6,262

Have you tried another 3.5-rca cable?? That one looks cheap..... you should try another (better) one and see if the result is the same
:wink:

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #5,839 of 6,262
Have you tried another 3.5-rca cable?? That one looks cheap..... you should try another (better) one and see if the result is the same
:wink:

I've tried 3 different cables and all of them do this. Granted none of them are of amazing quality, but they worked with my other DACs and amps.

Hi, thanks for your message! 1. Could you please check if the 3.5mm plug has been plugged into N3 properly? Your thumb was just in the way of the 3.5 plug in your pictures, so it was hard for us to tell if you had it in place 2. Please only plug the the 3.5mm side into N3 and unplug the RCA side from your Swan M10 speaker to see what happens. It will be much appreciated that you can take a photo for us!

The 3.5mm plug was plugged into the N3 properly- I'll take some more photos without my thumb in the way (doh!). Plugging the cable into the N3 with the RCA side disconnected from the speakers also doesn't make the N3 switch the output to PO/LO. I'll post a photo of this later as well.

I'll also order some higher quality 3.5mm to RCA cables to see if that will make any difference.

Aug 22, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #5,840 of 6,262
I've tried 3 different cables and all of them do this. Granted none of them are of amazing quality, but they worked with my other DACs and amps.

The 3.5mm plug was plugged into the N3 properly- I'll take some more photos without my thumb in the way (doh!). Plugging the cable into the N3 with the RCA side disconnected from the speakers also doesn't make the N3 switch the output to PO/LO. I'll post a photo of this later as well.

I'll also order some higher quality 3.5mm to RCA cables to see if that will make any difference.

Hi, thank you for your message! As picture below, As long as the standard 3.5mm plug is fully inserted, even if there is no loading, N3 will automatically change into the phone mode. So there isn't a problem that N3 doesn't detect speaker and stays in S/P mode. I have already forward your case to our senior engineer. They will give you a reply in earlier next week. Please wait patiently. Thank you!
upload_2018-8-23_9-33-12.png

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 23, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #5,841 of 6,262
Hi, thank you for your message! As picture below, As long as the standard 3.5mm plug is fully inserted, even if there is no loading, N3 will automatically change into the phone mode. So there isn't a problem that N3 doesn't detect speaker and stays in S/P mode. I have already forward your case to our senior engineer. They will give you a reply in earlier next week. Please wait patiently. Thank you!

Thanks for the insight! Much appreciated. This seems to be an issue with (all) the cables in my possession then- some new ones are on the way and hopefully those will solve the issue.

Edit: I've tried a new (Mediabridge) 3.5mm to RCA cable, still no luck.

IMG_20180824_173547.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #5,842 of 6,262
Thanks for the insight! Much appreciated. This seems to be an issue with (all) the cables in my possession then- some new ones are on the way and hopefully those will solve the issue.

Edit: I've tried a new (Mediabridge) 3.5mm to RCA cable, still no luck.

I would say that there is a problem with your N3... I tested mine connecting a random 3.5mm to RCA cable (not connected to anything) and the display instantly showed the headphone sign in the upper part of the screen.

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #5,843 of 6,262
It's not an issue, nor is it defective. You're expecting too much from limited hardware and a very large music library, as you say. Same with older computers, scrolling through a bunch of files or windows quickly will give you the spinning ball or hourglass. It's quite amazing what this little device CAN do, just don't expect it to be a supercomputer. Easy does it on the dial, slow down, and give the N3 a chance to breathe. Want a far more powerful DAP with instant feedback? Be ready to open your wallet wide :wink:

That makes sense—except that what’s happening isn’t a hung system, but rather a hung button. Everything else continues to work. That’s what has me confused. Though it’s possible this is just how the overload is manifesting in the player.

Anyway, you’re probably right—but if anyone else comes across something like this, let me know!

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #5,844 of 6,262
That makes sense—except that what’s happening isn’t a hung system, but rather a hung button. Everything else continues to work. That’s what has me confused. Though it’s possible this is just how the overload is manifesting in the player.

Anyway, you’re probably right—but if anyone else comes across something like this, let me know!

This does happen if you are scrolling fast... it must fill some kind of memory buffer. Its not the button. The player just needs to catch up.The player is not frozen and will continue to play music if it was playing something. If you are scrolling through a long list of songs, I can see where it would be annoying. I am only scrolling through my Flac albums.

I have not used it so I can't remember but isn't there a way to choose by letter of the alphabet if you are searching for something?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #5,845 of 6,262
Just popped into this thread hoping to see if there was any mention of an updated version of the N3 coming soon? If so will it have LDAC support?

I ask because I bought a Shanling M0 specifically for LDAC support but the touchscreen is to small for me and I really need hardware buttons. I demoed the N3 and really liked the sound quality and would have bought one if it had LDAC support.

any info would be appreciated

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #5,846 of 6,262
Just popped into this thread hoping to see if there was any mention of an updated version of the N3 coming soon? If so will it have LDAC support?

I ask because I bought a Shanling M0 specifically for LDAC support but the touchscreen is to small for me and I really need hardware buttons. I demoed the N3 and really liked the sound quality and would have bought one if it had LDAC support.

any info would be appreciated
I wouldn’t expect anything before mid-2019 at the earliest. With many ‘entry level’ daps now supporting touchscreens, Wi-Fi and balanced output for little more than the cost of the N3, I expect the new version will include the same, otherwise people which simply jump ship. I’m very happy with my N3 as-is, and only Wi-Fi, better amping and a good touch screen will encourage me to upgrade.

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #5,847 of 6,262
I wouldn’t expect anything before mid-2019 at the earliest. With many ‘entry level’ daps now supporting touchscreens, Wi-Fi and balanced output for little more than the cost of the N3, I expect the new version will include the same, otherwise people which simply jump ship. I’m very happy with my N3 as-is, and only Wi-Fi, better amping and a good touch screen will encourage me to upgrade.

Thanks for the info, yeah the IFA show starts on Friday so we should hopefully see some new stuff then. The Sony A50 series will be presented, also a possibility and rumors of Sony replacing WM-Port with USB-C connector could make it a contender.

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #5,848 of 6,262
Thanks for the info, yeah the IFA show starts on Friday so we should hopefully see some new stuff then. The Sony A50 series will be presented, also a possibility and rumors of Sony replacing WM-Port with USB-C connector could make it a contender.
Sounds promising indeed. Will keep an eye out for that one.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #5,849 of 6,262
Hey everyone, after doing some research, I’ve decided that I want to get the N3. I currently have Fiio X1 2nd gen and I’m so tired of it just not functioning properly.

Can anyone recommend a great OTG cable and flash drive, or alternative storage expansion for this?

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #5,850 of 6,262
Mine is the NX1s...

Is it good for driving Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 250ohm from the following sources?

1. TheBit Opus#1 DAP
2. ASUS Xonar D1
3. LG G6 with QuadDAC

Price seems extremely attractive if it really drives up to 300ohm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back