Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Sep 13, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #5,866 of 6,262
Thanks for the clarification, So at this point i wonder if fiio would rate their products as total? For example the X3ii is rated at 200mw...is that per channel aswell or total? They just give one rating.

Can't speak for Fiio, you have to find out from them, but I seriously doubt these difference means a lot in reality.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 13, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #5,867 of 6,262
Years ago, I subscribed to Audio Amateur, and Speaker Builder magazines (when I was doing some speaker design and building), and I remember a few things about power levels and sound pressure levels. I don't have any links to the magazine articles from back then, but this web page from JL Audio presents the information in a concise manor -
https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/217201737-Doubling-Power-vs-Doubling-Output

Here's a synopsis:
1.) A 1dB change in sound pressure level (SPL) is typically the smallest amount that the average person can hear - using pure tones under controlled conditions.
2.) A 3dB change in SPL is typically the smallest amount that is easily heard - with speech or music.
3.) It takes 2x the amplifier power to increase the SPL by 3dB.
4.) A 10dB change in SPL is typically perceived as "twice as loud."
5.) It takes 10x the amplifier power to increase the SPL by 10dB.

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #5,868 of 6,262
Years ago, I subscribed to Audio Amateur, and Speaker Builder magazines (when I was doing some speaker design and building), and I remember a few things about power levels and sound pressure levels. I don't have any links to the magazine articles from back then, but this web page from JL Audio presents the information in a concise manor -
https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/217201737-Doubling-Power-vs-Doubling-Output

Here's a synopsis:
1.) A 1dB change in sound pressure level (SPL) is typically the smallest amount that the average person can hear - using pure tones under controlled conditions.
2.) A 3dB change in SPL is typically the smallest amount that is easily heard - with speech or music.
3.) It takes 2x the amplifier power to increase the SPL by 3dB.
4.) A 10dB change in SPL is typically perceived as "twice as loud."
5.) It takes 10x the amplifier power to increase the SPL by 10dB.

True this.

Power ratings are often overrated, for the very reasons you've mentioned. Case in point, I have a pile of Schiit Audio components, with two amps; the Magni 3, and the Vali 2. The Magni 3 is rated as 430mW into 300 Ohms, and the Vali 2 as 270mW into 300 Ohms. Guess which one I listen to the most? The "low power" Vali 2. It's still able to drive my HD 6XX and HE 4XX headphones, and sounds better to boot (with a tube change, lol).

I use the Magni 3 now mostly as a pre-amp for my near-field speakers.

And I still use the N3 daily as my source at work. :metal: :metal:

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #5,869 of 6,262
True this.

Power ratings are often overrated, for the very reasons you've mentioned. Case in point, I have a pile of Schiit Audio components, with two amps; the Magni 3, and the Vali 2. The Magni 3 is rated as 430mW into 300 Ohms, and the Vali 2 as 270mW into 300 Ohms. Guess which one I listen to the most? The "low power" Vali 2. It's still able to drive my HD 6XX and HE 4XX headphones, and sounds better to boot (with a tube change, lol).

I use the Magni 3 now mostly as a pre-amp for my near-field speakers.

And I still use the N3 daily as my source at work. :metal: :metal:

I ended up getting a fiio X5ii used for $180 Cad which is around the same price as the N3, i really liked the idea of the two card slots and at that price you cant go wrong. I dont doubt that the N3 sounds good, even the power specs probably make little difference as mentioned. I feel that Cayin needs a new in between device since the cost difference between the N3 to the N5ii or even the I5 it leaves a big gap open. With the Fiio x5 3rd gen $400 in canada right now from amazon you are spending around $500 to upgrade the cayin line from the n3... I feel Cayin should create a device that competes in the $200USD price range like the fiio x3 3rd gen. I know there is the cayin n5 but i dont really like the design, the DAP industry seems to be moving toward a high quality fit and feel with a professional look which i love. Something with Wifi for streaming (without android) and maybe even two card slots since from what i've read the N3 really has the sound nailed down. Cayin N4 anyone? I think it would be pretty cool to have a N5ii design but without android...with Wifi and streaming and called the Cayin N4. Not everyone likes the quirks of android, the constant updates and bugs. Not to mention it reminds me of work because my phone is android which i use for work.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #5,870 of 6,262
I ended up getting a fiio X5ii used for $180 Cad which is around the same price as the N3, i really liked the idea of the two card slots and at that price you cant go wrong. I dont doubt that the N3 sounds good, even the power specs probably make little difference as mentioned. I feel that Cayin needs a new in between device since the cost difference between the N3 to the N5ii or even the I5 it leaves a big gap open. With the Fiio x5 3rd gen $400 in canada right now from amazon you are spending around $500 to upgrade the cayin line from the n3... I feel Cayin should create a device that competes in the $200USD price range like the fiio x3 3rd gen. I know there is the cayin n5 but i dont really like the design, the DAP industry seems to be moving toward a high quality fit and feel with a professional look which i love. Something with Wifi for streaming (without android) and maybe even two card slots since from what i've read the N3 really has the sound nailed down. Cayin N4 anyone? I think it would be pretty cool to have a N5ii design but without android...with Wifi and streaming and called the Cayin N4. Not everyone likes the quirks of android, the constant updates and bugs. Not to mention it reminds me of work because my phone is android which i use for work.
There's definitely an N4 gap right there! @Andykong are you reading this? :wink:

Sep 14, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #5,871 of 6,262
There's definitely an N4 gap right there! @Andykong are you reading this? :wink:

One additional thing is a separate line out port which is much preferred. I always hated having to change it in the menu with the Fiio X1, this is one thing that fiio got right...not sure if that adds to the cost or not but Fiios X3ii incorporated a separate line out port.

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #5,872 of 6,262
One additional thing is a separate line out port which is much preferred. I always hated having to change it in the menu with the Fiio X1, this is one thing that fiio got right...not sure if that adds to the cost or not but Fiios X3ii incorporated a separate line out port.

Absolutely agree. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #5,875 of 6,262
Urgent News

Typhoon Mangkhut lands in south China, devastates multiple cities in southern coast of China with Zhuhai city was almost directly hit by the strongest typhoon ever in past 10 years.

Typhoon Mangkhut hits mainland China, lashes Hong Kong
Tropical storm Mangkhut hits south China after dozens killed in Philippines
10170770.jpg

As of today, our factory and headquarter in Zhuahi is still waiting for power and water supply, production and operation is suspended, and workers are deployed to clear the fallen trees and repairing of damaged facilities. To certain extend, we are grateful for the attack by Typhoon Hato last year and we have upgraded our factory facilities after that, most of the windows has been replaced by tempered glass already, otherwise the damage will be a lot worse this time.

We'll try out best to resume our service as soon as possible, but delays are inevitable, please be patient with us during this difficult time.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 17, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #5,876 of 6,262
Urgent News

Typhoon Mangkhut lands in south China, devastates multiple cities in southern coast of China with Zhuhai city was almost directly hit by the strongest typhoon ever in past 10 years.

10170770.jpg

As of today, our factory and headquarter in Zhuahi is still waiting for power and water supply, production and operation is suspended, and workers are deployed to clear the fallen trees and repairing of damaged facilities. To certain extend, we are grateful for the attack by Typhoon Hato last year and we have upgraded our factory facilities after that, most of the windows has been replaced by tempered glass already, otherwise the damage will be a lot worse this time.

We'll try out best to resume our service as soon as possible, but delays are inevitable, please be patient with us during this difficult time.
So sorry to hear this. Hope everyone is safe! Always safety first. Good luck and best wishes.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #5,878 of 6,262
Stay safe you guys. Got caught in one a few years ago when I was in Japan on the way back to NZ. It was just a small one, and still terrifying. Factories can be repaired, harder with people. Hope your team all OK and stay that way!

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #5,879 of 6,262
Urgent News

10170770.jpg

As long as no one is hurt we can all wait a little longer for our product. May you all be safe and well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back