Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Sep 18, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #5,881 of 6,262
I ended up getting a fiio X5ii used for $180 Cad which is around the same price as the N3, i really liked the idea of the two card slots and at that price you cant go wrong. I dont doubt that the N3 sounds good, even the power specs probably make little difference as mentioned. I feel that Cayin needs a new in between device since the cost difference between the N3 to the N5ii or even the I5 it leaves a big gap open. With the Fiio x5 3rd gen $400 in canada right now from amazon you are spending around $500 to upgrade the cayin line from the n3... I feel Cayin should create a device that competes in the $200USD price range like the fiio x3 3rd gen. I know there is the cayin n5 but i dont really like the design, the DAP industry seems to be moving toward a high quality fit and feel with a professional look which i love. Something with Wifi for streaming (without android) and maybe even two card slots since from what i've read the N3 really has the sound nailed down.
Cayin N4 anyone? I think it would be pretty cool to have a N5ii design but without android...with Wifi and streaming and called the Cayin N4. Not everyone likes the quirks of android, the constant updates and bugs. Not to mention it reminds me of work because my phone is android which i use for work.

There's definitely an N4 gap right there! @Andykong are you reading this? :wink:

We don't intend to fill every gap with a Cayin DAP, the product line will be far too long. If we were to do that, wander how many DAP we need to make between N5iiS ($499) and N8 ($2999)? 3? or 5? or 10?

Besides, Cayin adopts a very different pricing strategy. We develop a product and then we priced it according to our cost, we don't take market norm into consideration. We considered that when we compose our product definition.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 18, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #5,882 of 6,262
We don't intend to fill every gap with a Cayin DAP, the product line will be far too long. If we were to do that, wander how many DAP we need to make between N5iiS ($499) and N8 ($2999)? 3? or 5? or 10?

Besides, Cayin adopts a very different pricing strategy. We develop a product and then we priced it according to our cost, we don't take market norm into consideration. We considered that when we compose our product definition.
That's cool. As long as the next N3 has Wi-Fi and no Android, all will be well. Hiby already does this with the R3, but I'm happy to wait for Cayin's version (which will hopefully be even better).

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #5,883 of 6,262
Stay safe you guys. Got caught in one a few years ago when I was in Japan on the way back to NZ. It was just a small one, and still terrifying. Factories can be repaired, harder with people. Hope your team all OK and stay that way!

As long as no one is hurt we can all wait a little longer for our product. May you all be safe and well.

Be safe...

Thank you very much for all the concern and support. The power is back already and the factory are recovering quickly.

The Mangkhut hits Philippines before arriving Southern China and has caused server damage, we were well prepared and survived the attack with zero casualties and not-so-serious damage when compare to the attack we had last year.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 18, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #5,884 of 6,262

Yes while this makes sense, it also might make sense that the lower end of the DAP market is more obtainable by most people and should sell alot more so saturating this part of the DAP market would be smart. One would not need to fill every single gap in the DAP market. If you had a device that offered more value than the fiio x3 3rd gen at the same price or slightly more...such as the N4. If it sounded as good or better than the x5 3rd gen that would be a game changer and i think alot of people would jump on board. The Fiio x1 was really a waste since the x3ii offered much better sound quality and in a sense made the x1 a pointless purcahse, however both sold well and i even bought the x3ii after the x1 since i liked what the x1 offered. In any case i think the time is right since alot of people are not happy with Fiio's new offerings and the direction they are moving into.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #5,885 of 6,262
Thank you very much for all the concern and support. The power is back already and the factory are recovering quickly.

The Mangkhut hits Philippines before arriving Southern China and has caused server damage, we were well prepared and survived the attack with zero casualties and not-so-serious damage when compare to the attack we had last year.

Wonderful news!:smile_phones:

Sep 21, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #5,886 of 6,262
I just bought a pair of Jabra wireless earbuds (elite active 65t) for my commute and am unable to pair them with my Cayin N3. They do not show up on the Bluetooth "Available Devices" list. But they work just fine with my iPhone. Anyone have any tips for getting the Cayin to work with wireless headphones?

Sep 23, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #5,887 of 6,262
hi guys i know it's been a while since i've posted but i wanted to ask, i recently purchased the Tin Audio t2's and i think the amount of detail they present for the price is superb but many people have said that they benefit from balanced output through balanced cables...now i know the N3 doesn't have balanced out so what would be the closest settings i can get to push these guys more? I'm currently using medium gain and volume around 65-70...also anyone else who has the T2's can you guys tell me which ear tips you guys use would bring out more clarity and bass on them? i don't intend to use the bass mods and i'm currently using foams on them not comply but NiceHCK versions which look similar to the stock foam that comes with the T2s....thanks...

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #5,888 of 6,262
hi guys i know it's been a while since i've posted but i wanted to ask, i recently purchased the Tin Audio t2's and i think the amount of detail they present for the price is superb but many people have said that they benefit from balanced output through balanced cables...now i know the N3 doesn't have balanced out so what would be the closest settings i can get to push these guys more? I'm currently using medium gain and volume around 65-70...also anyone else who has the T2's can you guys tell me which ear tips you guys use would bring out more clarity and bass on them? i don't intend to use the bass mods and i'm currently using foams on them not comply but NiceHCK versions which look similar to the stock foam that comes with the T2s....thanks...
I've tried pairing my Tin Audio T2 to various silicone tips such as Spin Fits, JVC Spiral Dots and several other generic ones but I've found the silicone tips to be a bit peaky on the treble until I settle for the NiceHCK large foam tips that give me a perfect fit without any treble peaks at all. Not to worry julianlopez85, you're already on the right tips. Enjoy your T2, it pairs very well with the N3.

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #5,889 of 6,262
I've tried pairing my Tin Audio T2 to various silicone tips such as Spin Fits, JVC Spiral Dots and several other generic ones but I've found the silicone tips to be a bit peaky on the treble until I settle for the NiceHCK large foam tips that give me a perfect fit without any treble peaks at all. Not to worry julianlopez85, you're already on the right tips. Enjoy your T2, it pairs very well with the N3.

Awesome what settings are you using the T2's with? Are you on medium gain or high gain? volume levels? yes the pairing is immaculate for the price...i think for me, if the n3 had balanced out then it would be perfect...i don't need android and what not just an awesome audio player

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #5,890 of 6,262
Awesome what settings are you using the T2's with? Are you on medium gain or high gain? volume levels? yes the pairing is immaculate for the price...i think for me, if the n3 had balanced out then it would be perfect...i don't need android and what not just an awesome audio player
I'm on the N3 medium gain for my T2 but honestly the low gain should suffice, however I set it to medium gain so that I don't have to repeatedly switch between low and medium gain for my other over the ear headphones. My volume level for the T2 varies from 50-63 depending on the audio files I'm playing back eg. higher volume for older recording and lower volume for more current ones. I also wished that the N3 comes with an extra balanced out but at the asking price, I'm not complaining. The N3 is an awesome player for the price.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #5,891 of 6,262
I'm on the N3 medium gain for my T2 but honestly the low gain should suffice, however I set it to medium gain so that I don't have to repeatedly switch between low and medium gain for my other over the ear headphones. My volume level for the T2 varies from 50-63 depending on the audio files I'm playing back eg. higher volume for older recording and lower volume for more current ones. I also wished that the N3 comes with an extra balanced out but at the asking price, I'm not complaining. The N3 is an awesome player for the price.
yea i agree...if this had balanced out and a touch screen it would be the absolute shiznitzzz for me...i wouldn't need android and all that nonsense

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #5,892 of 6,262
yea i agree...if this had balanced out and a touch screen it would be the absolute shiznitzzz for me...i wouldn't need android and all that nonsense
Likewise - balanced, touchscreen, Wi-Fi. Native Tidal support would be a bonus. That’s me done. The HiBy R3 is the first DAP that’s made me go ‘hmm’ since I got the N3. My only reservation with that one is the Sabre dac and (on paper) lack of power. Otherwise it seems excellent.

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #5,893 of 6,262
Likewise - balanced, touchscreen, Wi-Fi. Native Tidal support would be a bonus. That’s me done. The HiBy R3 is the first DAP that’s made me go ‘hmm’ since I got the N3. My only reservation with that one is the Sabre dac and (on paper) lack of power. Otherwise it seems excellent.
i'm guessing you're not a big fan of the sabre dac? at the time i bought my N3 it was a toss up between the N3 and AUNE M1S which got rave reviews for it's transparent sound and balanced out but when i had the player it my hand, it was way too big and lacked bluetooth but i think the size was what turned me away but to be fair everyone praised it's balanced output...also at the time i was just getting into the hobby and bought my audio technica e40 not long before getting the N3 so i was trying to keep my spending down and getting the M1s would have meant i would have to spend on getting balanced cables...but i don't know now since i know that with certain iems more power equals better dynamics...i guess you live and learn lolzzz...this hobby can truly make you go broke ; )

Sep 25, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #5,894 of 6,262
I love this player!! This is my first DAP and I'm in love with it.

I enjoy the N3 + M60x's (synergy?) more than I do the HD600s on the R2R-11, just the fact that is portable makes it so MUCH MORE enjoyable, music is pretty dull when you sit in a desktop listening all day (I feel like I am plugged into something not the other way around), I can pretty much SHUFFLE hi-res files!
Also life is good battery, hasn't let me down. I ran out late for the bus with TF card still on my computer, halfway to the bus stop ..... Insert TF, FFFFF! it was only later did I realise, this thing has BLUETOOTH!!! I was gonna ask what an upgrade to this player would be though, same ergonomics

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back