Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Feb 19, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #5,326 of 6,262
Agreed. I gots no use for an Android DAP.

I don't need an android dap either even though I do have one...Hidizs AP200. I have it because my husband had too many daps so he gave it to me. I had fun playing around with some android music apps but now I have settled on just using it in pure music mode. It does sound nice and ,like the Cayin N3, it supports OTG. Only gets about 8 hours battery life and that is with wifi off.

Overall my Cayin is still my favorite.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #5,327 of 6,262
The Cayin N3 I bought last May still has a problem with the battery, losing 15-20% charge every 24 hours when turned off completely. I have emailed the official distributor in Thailand that I bought it from but they do not reply to my messages. Last time I emailed them shortly after buying the N3, they took 4 weeks to respond and were generally unhelpful. Given that I only have 3 months left on the warranty, I am hoping somebody from Cayin can advise me what to do? I rarely use the N3 because the battery issue annoys me and to be honest, I'd resigned myself to living with it but I would like to sort it out if possible.

Here's a Farang living since 15 years back here in Thailand.That said,your English doesn't sounds like you're a Khun Thai..Your English writing is very good,that said,not knowing were you bought it,but buying anything here with a warranty..well i put like this..THAIS DON't KNOW ANYTHING when it comes to SERVICE..sell sell sell...that's it pretty much.I have a slowcooker still after 3 YEARS somewere in Bankok on a warranty repair..Sorry,but same with Restaurants..service bad,no drive,no English...BUT they want customers to tip them..go figure.

Okey,enough bashish,i'm far from perfect too even if i most of the times i think i am :wink:I hope you get the problems sorted and please let me know were you bought it so i can stay away for that shop.Take care up there in CM,i'm living futher south..in between NK and UT.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #5,328 of 6,262
Here's a Farang living since 15 years back here in Thailand.That said,your English doesn't sounds like you're a Khun Thai..Your English writing is very good,that said,not knowing were you bought it,but buying anything here with a warranty..well i put like this..THAIS DON't KNOW ANYTHING when it comes to SERVICE..sell sell sell...that's it pretty much.I have a slowcooker still after 3 YEARS somewere in Bankok on a warranty repair..Sorry,but same with Restaurants..service bad,no drive,no English...BUT they want customers to tip them..go figure.

Okey,enough bashish,i'm far from perfect too even if i most of the times i think i am :wink:I hope you get the problems sorted and please let me know were you bought it so i can stay away for that shop.Take care up there in CM,i'm living futher south..in between NK and UT.
I bought it from https://www.fiio.in.th/ but through Lazada. They go under the names of Fiio, Portable Hifi Audio and Holysai on Lazada. Basically, if you are buying IEMs or a DAP and the seller is based in Samut Prakarn, it's them. They are the Fiio and Cayin official distributor in Thailand I believe (unfortunately). I haven't had problems with returning faulty goods in Thailand yet but what really drives me wild is no online retailers here seem capable of updating their stock levels on their websites.

(I once complained to a musical instrument seller in Bangkok because I wasted hours comparing guitars on their website that they didn't even have in stock, trying to decide what to buy, and they told me they were a small shop and didn't have enough time to update their website every time they sold a guitar. Strangely, they do have time to take stupid pictures of their customers every time they sell something and post them on Facebook.)

EDIT: I like both NK and UT (for brief visits at least). Very chilled out atmosphere and the locals seem a little more friendly than they are here in Chiang Mai.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #5,330 of 6,262
Hi everyone !

Just come from nowhere with my question for Cayin Support team. I wanted to know why is my DAC USB mode on windows locked on 44.1/24 bit even if I am listening a 24/96 file. Please find below two pics which will more useful to explain my problem. What should I do to solve this ?

Thank you in advance for your answer !

1519311671-1518042400-limitation.png

1519311671-1518042455-img-20180207-213504.jpg

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #5,331 of 6,262
Hello,
I want to use the n3 in this setting:
[phone]---bluetooth---[n3-aux-out]-------[IEM]
to listen to music on my phone and using the n3 as a headphone amp. I know, that streaming media-audio (e.g. Spotify, Youtube, etc.) from my phone to the n3 and headphones that are connected to the n3 works, but I wanted to ask wether I can use this setting for phone calls as well, e.g. listening to a phone call via the n3 and IEMs that are connected to it? If that is the case, is it also possible to use the microphone of my IEMs via the n3?
In short: I want to use my IEMs for making phone calls via the n3!

I had the problem that I could only stream "Media audio" to my Shanling m2s without being able to use it for "Phone media", as there was no such option in the Bluetooth menu of my Android phone.

Thanks in advance! :)

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #5,332 of 6,262
Hi everyone !

Just come from nowhere with my question for Cayin Support team. I wanted to know why is my DAC USB mode on windows locked on 44.1/24 bit even if I am listening a 24/96 file. Please find below two pics which will more useful to explain my problem. What should I do to solve this ?

Thank you in advance for your answer !
The settings for sample rate and bit depth are found in the Windows Control Panel (classic), the Sound section -> Cayin N3 Speakers -> Properties. You must click the Advanced tab and select from the combo box the format you want. Maximum possible is 24 bit, 384000 Hz.
Some players can set the desired format from their own settings.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #5,333 of 6,262
Hello,
I want to use the n3 in this setting:
[phone]---bluetooth---[n3-aux-out]-------[IEM]
to listen to music on my phone and using the n3 as a headphone amp. I know, that streaming media-audio (e.g. Spotify, Youtube, etc.) from my phone to the n3 and headphones that are connected to the n3 works, but I wanted to ask wether I can use this setting for phone calls as well, e.g. listening to a phone call via the n3 and IEMs that are connected to it? If that is the case, is it also possible to use the microphone of my IEMs via the n3?
In short: I want to use my IEMs for making phone calls via the n3!

I had the problem that I could only stream "Media audio" to my Shanling m2s without being able to use it for "Phone media", as there was no such option in the Bluetooth menu of my Android phone.

Thanks in advance! :)
No, Cayin N3 does not implement the headset profile. Only A2DP which is unidirectional, used for music streaming.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #5,334 of 6,262
No, Cayin N3 does not implement the headset profile. Only A2DP which is unidirectional, used for music streaming.

Thanks a lot for your reply, now I know that the problem lies with the protocols and what I have to google!
Do you know wether there is a DAP that is able to that though? I've opened a thread on it in the Help-Section of the forum to keep things on-topic around here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dap-that-works-as-a-bluetooth-receiver-for-phone-calls.873059/
Any help would be appreciated!

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #5,335 of 6,262
I've been using my n3 finally and the thing I'd like is some kind of memory of what song was last playing after it's shutdown. For the moment I'm just leaving it on as I use it most days, but that's probably not great for the battery. The other thing would be being able to play a folder in the folder view. Say if you have a set of base folders that are genres. Hopefully I've missed something obvious. Also is there a way to clear the library, say if I fix my genres in my flacs will the genre db get rewritten when i select the update the library thing?

Also is there a vendor for replacement batteries?

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #5,336 of 6,262
I've been using my n3 finally and the thing I'd like is some kind of memory of what song was last playing after it's shutdown. For the moment I'm just leaving it on as I use it most days, but that's probably not great for the battery. The other thing would be being able to play a folder in the folder view. Say if you have a set of base folders that are genres. Hopefully I've missed something obvious. Also is there a way to clear the library, say if I fix my genres in my flacs will the genre db get rewritten when i select the update the library thing?

Also is there a vendor for replacement batteries?
Don't know about batteries. You can set it to resume with the last file played by setting breakpoint resume in the music menu. It can't remember the point within the file where you stopped. You can set folder play in the system menu. I stumbled on a folder shortcut by fat fingering. When you're traversing the folder list, hit the top left button. You'll get 3 choices, one of which is to play the folder. I believe the folder play setting allows you to go to the next folder on the list. Make sure you have the latest firmware. I had to install it and do a reset in order to get the breakpoint resume working correctly.

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #5,337 of 6,262
Ah very interesting. So I switched that folder operation on thinking it would allow that but it didn't for me. I've now done some playing and actually the problem was that I've got some empty meta directories from my synology and it was trying to play those everytime and complaining about there being no files. So I just need to delete them and then I think we're all gravy! Breakpoint resume in the new firmware has also worked. What a legend! Also reset, which I hadn't seen, I assume that will clear the music db.

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #5,338 of 6,262
Does that newest custom firmware display Asian language characters? I have a lot of songs and artists with Japanese characters in their labels that would display as all squares with the older custom firmware. Also can anyone attest to how stable official 3.0 firmware is? I've been using the oldest firmware because the newer ones (2.something) seemed to cause my device to lock on the piano screen on startup sometimes, and I'd have to wait for the battery to drain completely for it to reset (reset button wouldn't work); don't want this to happen again but I would like to try the new features.

Thanks for any input anyone has

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #5,339 of 6,262
Don't know about batteries. You can set it to resume with the last file played by setting breakpoint resume in the music menu. It can't remember the point within the file where you stopped. You can set folder play in the system menu. I stumbled on a folder shortcut by fat fingering. When you're traversing the folder list, hit the top left button. You'll get 3 choices, one of which is to play the folder. I believe the folder play setting allows you to go to the next folder on the list. Make sure you have the latest firmware. I had to install it and do a reset in order to get the breakpoint resume working correctly.

Your N3 doesn't resume at the same point in the song? Mine does. :thinking:

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #5,340 of 6,262
Does that newest custom firmware display Asian language characters? I have a lot of songs and artists with Japanese characters in their labels that would display as all squares with the older custom firmware. Also can anyone attest to how stable official 3.0 firmware is? I've been using the oldest firmware because the newer ones (2.something) seemed to cause my device to lock on the piano screen on startup sometimes, and I'd have to wait for the battery to drain completely for it to reset (reset button wouldn't work); don't want this to happen again but I would like to try the new features.

Thanks for any input anyone has
Hi - yes it does. The older custom firmware stripped away a lot of the Asian characters but the new custom FW (3.0) is a 1:1 mirror of the official firmware with all the enhancements in place (grammar, spelling, look and feel, themes). As far as I can tell it’s rock solid - no complaints so far :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back