Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Feb 8, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #5,296 of 6,262
Did you change the Windows setting, as well as the BIOS setting?

Quote from - https://www.ghacks.net/2013/04/18/try-changing-hpet-settings-to-improve-your-pcs-performance/

Try changing HPET settings to improve your PC's performance
by Martin Brinkmann on April 18, 2013 in Windows - Last Update: April 18, 2013 - 16 comments
The High Precision Event Timer (HPET) is a hardware timer that has been developed by Intel and Microsoft and used in PC chipsets for nearly a decade. Different timers may be used depending on which operating system you have installed on your PC, and tweaking the timers may improve the overall performance of your PC as a result. This is mostly useful for gaming related activities and other real-time activities that tax the system a lot.

The first thing that you need to find out is if HPET is supported by your system. You need to go into the BIOS or UEFI setup during boot to find out. Since there are that many different versions out there it is hard to say where you will find the setting on your system. I found the setting under Advanced Mode > Advanced > PCH Configuration > High Precision Timer.

Enabling or disabling the timer in BIOS is only one part of the change that you have to make though. Windows may use different timers as said earlier even if the HPET timer is enabled in the BIOS.

You need to run the following commands on the command line in Windows to enable or disable the exclusive use of the HPET timer.

• Tap on the Windows-key, enter cmd, right-click cmd.exe in the results listing and select to run the command prompt with administrative privileges.
  • To enable HPET as the only timer run the command bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
  • To disable HPET in Windows run the command bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
Thanks, yes I disabled in Win 7 with bcdedit, but didn't find the setting in the Bios...

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #5,297 of 6,262
OK, still getting pops (not at tracks changes, which I could live with, but during playback, which I can't) after enabling / disabling HPET...all win updates have been made.
It's a standard Dell MB, nothing too fancy I suppose.

Does your music player support upsampling to DSD? I'm curious if that'll work on the N3 (worked for my M2s).
Foobar2000 does have the capabilities for upsampling, but I can't stand using it so I've never put much effort getting it to work. DAPhile has upsampling baked in so that was just a matter of switching it on

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #5,299 of 6,262
Does your music player support upsampling to DSD? I'm curious if that'll work on the N3 (worked for my M2s).
Foobar2000 does have the capabilities for upsampling, but I can't stand using it so I've never put much effort getting it to work. DAPhile has upsampling baked in so that was just a matter of switching it on
I mainly would like to use Spofity. With Foobar DSD (DSD track) I still had the pops.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #5,301 of 6,262
Happy Chinese New Year

This is a special time for family reunion, so we are taking a break to travel all the way back home.

Thank you very much for all the support we have received. May the New Year brings happiness and prosperity to you and your family.

Our office will close from 11th to 25th February, and we'll resume duty on 26th February 2018.

2018 Chinese New Year.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #5,302 of 6,262
Hi CayinSupport,
I have the Cayin USB to Coaxial cable. Tried to connect the player to my Dac's coaxial input. The music comes through in "bits" a milisecond of music then a pause then a milisecond of music. I also tried on another Dac and with that Dac no sound. Are there any other setting that need to be changed ?

Thank you !

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #5,303 of 6,262
Hi CayinSupport,
I have the Cayin USB to Coaxial cable. Tried to connect the player to my Dac's coaxial input. The music comes through in "bits" a milisecond of music then a pause then a milisecond of music. I also tried on another Dac and with that Dac no sound. Are there any other setting that need to be changed ?

Thank you !

Cayin USB-C to Coaxial adapter cable is kind of plug and play, it is a proprietary embedded signal and has nothing to do with USB format, we just "borrow" the USB connector to do that, therefore you don't to change any setting in order to get the coaxial output to work.

When you said your tried on another DAC and with that DAC no sound output at all, can you tell me the coaxial input is LOCKED correctly? You should either see a green LED light up, or the screen will display the Bit depth and Sampling frequency correctly.

If you have chopped up signal within one DAC, and cannot lock correctly with another DAC, that it likely something is wrong upstream, it can be the cable or the Coaxial output from your N3 DAP. In either case, the easiest thing to do is to drop by your dealer and test your Cayin USB to coaxial cable with their Cayin DAP demo units.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 10, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #5,304 of 6,262
Hi, been a while since i have visited the forum but kept testing my N3 everyday. As a normal player all is nice and fine but as a DAC connected to my gaming laptop is a let down, cracklings and thinner sound. I know it is not the right forum to ask this but anyone has been using the FiiO Q1 Mark II ? I would very much like the upcoming Q3 but God knows when it will be released so i am interested in this Q 1 Mark II until then for my laptop. Some will say go with the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red but i can't because i also want to use this DAC AMP with my TV through the audio jack out.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #5,305 of 6,262
Hi, been a while since i have visited the forum but kept testing my N3 everyday. As a normal player all is nice and fine but as a DAC connected to my gaming laptop is a let down, cracklings and thinner sound. I know it is not the right forum to ask this but anyone has been using the FiiO Q1 Mark II ? I would very much like the upcoming Q3 but God knows when it will be released so i am interested in this Q 1 Mark II until then for my laptop. Some will say go with the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red but i can't because i also want to use this DAC AMP with my TV through the audio jack out.
I think the right place to ask is the FiiO thread :thinking:

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #5,306 of 6,262
About the EQ, just to be sure: are you using Headphone out (not Line Out), wired headphones directly connected to the headphone port (no BT or USB/Coaxial to another device), and normal resolution files (not hi-res or weird formats - try a standard 16/44 FLAC file for testing). Also try changing the EQ BEFORE starting to play a track, just as a test - I ran into an issue where the EQ would quit responding if the EQ was changed during playback a few times.

As far as the digital filters go, most people won't notice a difference. It takes certain tracks and/or a trained ear to hear the minute differences. Look at tracks that have lots of ride or crash - and listen to the decay on the cymbals, you'll usually hear it best there. Oh, and some headphones cover up the differences, especially anything with active noise cancellation - like those Bose you have. There's also the universal in-ear problem that the driver needs to be placed perfectly in the ear canal to get the most accurate high-frequency reproduction.

You need "accurate" 1:1 monitors and environment to really hear those digital filters as they affect the high frequency cutoff and rounding (as well as hearing that goes into those ranges). Those SRH840s should work, just be in a quiet environment, medium to low volume, and listen for the decays in the highs - do the Sharp filter, then the Super Slow and you'll have the best possibility of noticing the differences (those filters are the furthest apart in operation).

Hi, Docholliday,
many thanks for your answer and sorry about my late message.
I've try to reproduce the test you said me, with a neutral headphones, and now everyting seems correct.
Thanks again for your help.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #5,307 of 6,262
Hello,
Yesterday, I tried to connect the N3 to my Beresford Caiman DAC, with a USB-C to USB B 2.0.
When I try to play a file, I receive the next message:
play failed . not support the file!
and the N3 reboot after a few seconds. When I play the same file with headphones, I don't have any problema.
I tried this cable between the DAC and a HTC 10, and I can reproduce the same file on my HiFI system.
Please, is this cable compatible with the N3?
I'have upgraded to firmware 3.0, but the message appairs too.
Thanks
Daniel

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #5,309 of 6,262
Although inially my supplied USB C cable worked for both data transfer and charging, it's now gone the way of everyone else's it seems and will now only charge - PC saying it doesn't recognise the device. Any advice on a replacement or doesn't it matter too much as to what USB C I get?

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #5,310 of 6,262

Users who are viewing this thread

Back