Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #5,341 of 6,262
Hi - yes it does. The older custom firmware stripped away a lot of the Asian characters but the new custom FW (3.0) is a 1:1 mirror of the official firmware with all the enhancements in place (grammar, spelling, look and feel, themes). As far as I can tell it’s rock solid - no complaints so far :wink:
Thanks so much for the response, that sounds awesome I will give it a try!

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #5,342 of 6,262
The settings for sample rate and bit depth are found in the Windows Control Panel (classic), the Sound section -> Cayin N3 Speakers -> Properties. You must click the Advanced tab and select from the combo box the format you want. Maximum possible is 24 bit, 384000 Hz.
Some players can set the desired format from their own settings.

Thank you Gics for your help it works well ! Do you advise me to simply select 24/384 to cover all frequencies or select depending on the music file ?

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #5,343 of 6,262
Hello,
Yesterday, I tried to connect the N3 to my Beresford Caiman DAC, with a USB-C to USB B 2.0.
When I try to play a file, I receive the next message:
play failed . not support the file!
and the N3 reboot after a few seconds. When I play the same file with headphones, I don't have any problema.
I tried this cable between the DAC and a HTC 10, and I can reproduce the same file on my HiFI system.
Please, is this cable compatible with the N3?
I'have upgraded to firmware 3.0, but the message appairs too.
Thanks
Daniel

Hello again.
It would be possible that this cable will be not compatible with N3?
I've tried again reseting and downgrade the unit and I still receive the same message.

Thanks

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #5,344 of 6,262
Thank you Gics for your help it works well ! Do you advise me to simply select 24/384 to cover all frequencies or select depending on the music file ?
I can't tell for sure if upscaling the sampling rate will do any harm to the audio quality of the original file. But I think that even if there are artefacts because of the conversion, you won't be able to discern them. The only problem with using a high resolution protocol could be related to the stability of the USB connection. If you'll experience dropouts or strange noises, then you need to reduce the sampling rate.

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #5,346 of 6,262
I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue, or if it's a known issue or not, but I have more than the allowed file limit for the N3 on my card so I have to browse in folder view mode. If I try to scroll to something towards the middle of my library by holding down the capacitive button, scrolling stops after, i don't know, 100 folders or so and I cannot scroll anymore unless I scroll in the opposite direction about 4-5 times. Then I can continue scrolling the rest of the way to the item I want.

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #5,347 of 6,262
I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue, or if it's a known issue or not, but I have more than the allowed file limit for the N3 on my card so I have to browse in folder view mode. If I try to scroll to something towards the middle of my library by holding down the capacitive button, scrolling stops after, i don't know, 100 folders or so and I cannot scroll anymore unless I scroll in the opposite direction about 4-5 times. Then I can continue scrolling the rest of the way to the item I want.

I have noticed this and others have mentioned it. I believe Cayin said that it is just a memory buffer filling. just wait a couple of seconds. No need to scroll in the opposite direction. Now that you mention it, ever since I installed the latest custom firmware, this might not be happening anymore. I will need to check it outl.

I do not have more files than the limit but I usually use folder view anyway as I always listen to full albums. I do have to use artist view on my Opus because it has two cards and I have no idea what is on which card.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #5,348 of 6,262
I wasn't referring to pops between tracks or sample rate changes. These pops happen constantly at random intervals during playback, making everything sound like a vinyl rip. I've tested the devices on both my laptops using 3 different OS (win.7, win.10, DAphile (linux)). Doing an upsample to PCM won't change the popping, only going to DSD. Go figure. Like I mentioned Shanling has been testing and can't find a solution as of yet - I can't speak for what Cayin's staus on this problem is anymore though

Sorry for bringing up an old post, just bought this player and am reading through the thread. I had to comment as I had this issue with any DAC I use with a Dell laptop that I have for work. It's one of the business class latitude laptops, but any in that series do the same thing. I think it has to do with how terrible the USB implementation is on Dell computers, especially the less expensive ones. I've had problems with a GoPro on it and other co-workers have had all sorts of connectivity issues with them. I have no idea what Dell is doing with the massive amount of bloatware and weird proprietary stuff that they have, but it's really weird to see that it happens on any OS you install, which certainly means it's the Dell hardware that's doing it, not their software, which was my thought for a while.

In my journey through trying to fix it, I bought power conditioners and filters, different USB storage, different players, all sorts of stuff. Nothing ever worked. It would just crap itself once in a while for no reason. Once I bought an iBasso DX80 for portable use and plugged it in over coax, it was a revelation and all of the pops went away and the background became black as night, which made the whole frequency response seem more balanced and clean. Unfortunately, my DX80 was stolen and I've been looking for another affordable DAP to take it's place, which this one does with a USB-C to coax cable that I also ordered. If ony I could charge it at the same time...

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #5,349 of 6,262
Sorry for bringing up an old post, just bought this player and am reading through the thread. I had to comment as I had this issue with any DAC I use with a Dell laptop that I have for work. It's one of the business class latitude laptops, but any in that series do the same thing. I think it has to do with how terrible the USB implementation is on Dell computers, especially the less expensive ones. I've had problems with a GoPro on it and other co-workers have had all sorts of connectivity issues with them. I have no idea what Dell is doing with the massive amount of bloatware and weird proprietary stuff that they have, but it's really weird to see that it happens on any OS you install, which certainly means it's the Dell hardware that's doing it, not their software, which was my thought for a while.

In my journey through trying to fix it, I bought power conditioners and filters, different USB storage, different players, all sorts of stuff. Nothing ever worked. It would just crap itself once in a while for no reason. Once I bought an iBasso DX80 for portable use and plugged it in over coax, it was a revelation and all of the pops went away and the background became black as night, which made the whole frequency response seem more balanced and clean. Unfortunately, my DX80 was stolen and I've been looking for another affordable DAP to take it's place, which this one does with a USB-C to coax cable that I also ordered. If ony I could charge it at the same time...

It is rather annoying. The problem happens on both my laptops (Acer & MSi - about 5 years apart) and they should have nothing in common hardware wise. The responses from Shanling indicate they they've tested and found problems with various laptops, desktops but can't find a common (or any) cause (the fact this happens with 2 different players from 2 different companies makes it more puzzling - maybe Hiby is to blame?). They both are excellent players, but I think they need to add an asterisk to the claims of DAC functionality.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #5,350 of 6,262
It is rather annoying. The problem happens on both my laptops (Acer & MSi - about 5 years apart) and they should have nothing in common hardware wise. The responses from Shanling indicate they they've tested and found problems with various laptops, desktops but can't find a common (or any) cause (the fact this happens with 2 different players from 2 different companies makes it more puzzling - maybe Hiby is to blame?). They both are excellent players, but I think they need to add an asterisk to the claims of DAC functionality.

Wow, that's pretty darn strange. It's probably some piece of generic hardware like a USB receiver that might be common to those computers and which doesn't play nicely with USB audio. Hopefully Cayin is able to pinpoint it. The iBasso DX80 that I used to have went through a long and intense road of firmware revisions before all the bugs got worked out for most people, and I'm sure they're still working through them to this day.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #5,351 of 6,262
Anybody else seeing the player go through a boot loop looking for update files after updating to the latest firmware? My wife's N3 is doing it every time she starts it. Starts the boot process, says something about update file not found, then resets and boots.

I'll probably reload it back to 2.1 tonight but thought I'd see if anyone else was having the same issue.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #5,352 of 6,262
Just picked one of these up for work and have to say it's pretty good for the price paid, nice clean sound , I own opus1, mojo and just sold fiio x7 although it doesn't have the overall resolution of the previous 3 (wouldn't expect it to for price paid) it is very smooth and detailed just lacking the micro detail of the above 3.but very musical dap overall and looking like a keeper.
I wanted something small for pocket as my work can be slightly physical and slightly grubby hands at times and the hiby link means I can control from phone, I was wondering what sort of battery life others are getting using hiby link?

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #5,353 of 6,262
I just want to re-iterate that my cayin n3 USB DAC mode is working the same or better than my piece of schit modi 2. I have USB issues with the modi, and ive never had USB issues with my cayin with a new generic cable. No pops, usable for gaming even! not to mention, it sounds great with earbuds. I have no problems traveling light, to play some fortnite with a cayin n3 if i dont feel like dragging my stack :)

But I did have a strange bug today, maybe related to the new custom firmware. I was playing a song, and all of a sudden it said no songs found, and that my SD card had nothing on there. Restarting fixed it thankfully, but im not sure if this is a new bug related to the new custom firmware or even the standard new firmware.

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #5,354 of 6,262
Anybody else seeing the player go through a boot loop looking for update files after updating to the latest firmware? My wife's N3 is doing it every time she starts it. Starts the boot process, says something about update file not found, then resets and boots.

I'll probably reload it back to 2.1 tonight but thought I'd see if anyone else was having the same issue.

Use the latest custom firmware instead.

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #5,355 of 6,262
Good point - I havent tried any of the custom firmware yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back