Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 12, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #5,056 of 6,262
Hi and thanks for the reply,

I know how to add to a playlist. I was more specifically referring to a icon showing that a music file had already been added to a playlist. When you have hundreds of files it's difficult to know which music files have already been added to a playlist or not.

Also I find it tricky to click the middle enter button without accidentally touching the capacitive Touch buttons that are on either side of it. Thus for people with comparably large hands it would of been more beneficial to have the middle enter button raised slightly more.Having said that I can always stick something onto that button so I don't keep accidentally keep touching the capacitive areas.

Thank you for your suggestion. Currently, we don't have a plan to adjust these two designs. But I will record it for the future products. Sorry for any inconvenienced caused!

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 12, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #5,057 of 6,262
Before i play everything well without the infamous pop noise.
Added 10 to 11 dsd file to test.
Try to hear with bluetooth which 3 files not support wirelessly but play fine wired.
Next day play in car wired 3.5 to 3.5 aux.
Volume on head unit 40-45 with max is 60
And at MDB 50-60 and yep my cayin n3 pop like crazy. Next track. Previous track. Fast forward. It is there.
The pop noticeable especially in lower freq 500 hz below (midbass and subwoofer in car).

The pop is like jack with high gain turn on and we touch the jack barehanded or with other electricity current.

I am sure before this everything is not pop.
I guess soon or later we all get the infamous pop......

Firmware 2.1 stock brand new unit (came with 2.1) already tried reset to factory setting inside setting but not by pin hole.
Using 128gb microsd.

The past day only added dsd. Try BT Which should not pop.
Try hibylink create playlist also with stream BT to speaker and not pop here also troubled with dsd because limited support on BT.

Still not try wired

Turn off and this day viola infamous pop here and there...

Hi, N3 Bluetooth doesn't support DSD files. As for pop sound, it happened only when N3 connected to your car system or also other devices? Do you have other players connecting to your car system to have a try. Besides, any chance that you can turn off the Hibylink Bluetooth to see what happens?

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #5,058 of 6,262
It works, it works, it works! Storage and dac/amp handled by N3, control and interface handled by iPhone. Each responsible for their strength. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Thank you Cayin! ( & Hiby). Now how do I replace rows of identical green albums with rows of album art? Oh, did I say thank you?

How did you get it to work? I downloaded new fw and installed. Got the app. Can't get the two talking .....

Dec 12, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #5,059 of 6,262
How did you get it to work? I downloaded new fw and installed. Got the app. Can't get the two talking .....
I did the usual BT settings on my iPhone and Cayin. It connected and disconnected immediately. Then I went into the Hiby app itself and in there you can pair to the Cayin. Now it works.

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #5,062 of 6,262

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #5,063 of 6,262
For some reason, the link above went to the 2.0 firmware -- I think that may be the problem, because I had the connect/disconnect loop as well. I'll have to re-download it when I get home tonight, hopefully that will fix things.

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #5,064 of 6,262
For some reason, the link above went to the 2.0 firmware -- I think that may be the problem, because I had the connect/disconnect loop as well. I'll have to re-download it when I get home tonight, hopefully that will fix things.
It took me some hunting around to find the 2.2 firmware. It wasn’t listed on the downloads page

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #5,065 of 6,262
You haven't lost your charm I see. As far as I'm aware, Shanling are operating under the same constraints as Cayin but they released HiBy Link firmware that worked with the new app a month before the official App Store release. I posted my question because as far as I understand, HiBy write your firmware as well, so it seems odd that Shanling's was updated a month before yours - I find the arrangement/situation confusing (as I said in my post). Either you misread what I posted or you simply don't like anybody who isn't constantly heaping praise on you. I like the N3 but I'm beginning to wish I'd bought something else so I didn't have to interact with Cayin representatives in any way or form.

Sorry if I have offended you. I apology.

My post was merely pointed out that iOS HiByMusic v3.0 was onlined on 7th December 2018 (or 6th, depends on your time zone), and any iOS HiByLink application or firmware BEFORE this date was based on an unauthorized app. Someone choose to release the download link that was meant for manufacturer testing, Cayin choose to wait for the authorized version.

We have received the N3 firmware back in November, but it was designated as beta version. For the record, Cayin has never released any beta firmware so far. We notice other brands are more liberal on this practice, but we just prefer not to. We are sorry if this has caused serious delay to our users.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #5,066 of 6,262

It took me some hunting around to find the 2.2 firmware. It wasn’t listed on the downloads page

I was a bit confused but I finally noticed the confusion.

There were TWO links in the announcement post. The first link refer to the v2.2 firmware download page, The second link started with the following sentence originally: For detail of HiByLink, please refer to the v2.0 firmware announcement. We are trying to recap the instruction to connect N3 with HiByLink, so the choice of wording and links might be misleading,

I have changed the layout and wording already, hopefully this won't cause any confusion again.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #5,067 of 6,262
Sorry if I have offended you. I apology.

My post was merely pointed out that iOS HiByMusic v3.0 was onlined on 7th December 2018 (or 6th, depends on your time zone), and any iOS HiByLink application or firmware BEFORE this date was based on an unauthorized app. Someone choose to release the download link that was meant for manufacturer testing, Cayin choose to wait for the authorized version.

We have received the N3 firmware back in November, but it was designated as beta version. For the record, Cayin has never released any beta firmware so far. We notice other brands are more liberal on this practice, but we just prefer not to. We are sorry if this has caused serious delay to our users.
Thanks. The software release date didn't cause me any problems, I just didn't understand it. I'll try to keep away from this thread in future; I did unsubscribe a while ago but I think I answered a post about iPods last month and must have been subscribed again.

Dec 12, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #5,068 of 6,262
Eureka - got it working. Now off to play :)

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #5,069 of 6,262
Hi, N3 Bluetooth doesn't support DSD files. As for pop sound, it happened only when N3 connected to your car system or also other devices? Do you have other players connecting to your car system to have a try. Besides, any chance that you can turn off the Hibylink Bluetooth to see what happens?

I know not support dsd.
I explain the procedure just before the infamous pop happening.
Maybe the series of play dsd over BT or something else i did make or trigger the pop coming and cant stop after that.
If we know the trigger we can fixed it right ? Or maybe analyze it.

On earphone i am not try to next and before track repeatly just one or two time.
And it is not popped.

In car the pop happen if click next repeatly like 2 or 3 and randomly at 1 next or previous after that. The f.forward and f.previous also popped.

Nope BT is off all the time when popped.

Also i wanna ask, why cayin n3 cant paired (can see and discover, but always failed) when pairing headphone
sennheiser pxc550 ?

Try at firmware 2.1 and also after upgrade 2.2, try with
hibylink on/off
aptx on/off
Restart BT on/off
restart cayin itself
pxc550 in pairing mode, not in pairing mode, reset the pxc so the memory device paired BT back to zero.
(The BT in pxc can memory up to 8 device and can connect 2 at same time)
Try With 1 phone pairing and with pairing mode to device slot 2.
Pxc can connect with other phone can discover with everything.

Still failed in the end with cayin n3.

Already asked sennheiser and other like in crutcfield (discussion) and all give info that the problem should be in cayin (transmitter) not in receiver side.
So maybe there is something in BT mechanism inside cayin n3 that can tweak to fix this.

From senn website:

As long as the device that the Sennheiser headset is being connected to supports the appropriate Bluetooth version (usually 2.1 and EDR for Sennheiser products) or higher and the appropriate Bluetooth profiles;
Headset Profile (HSP) v.1.2 / Handsfree Profile (HFP) v.1.6 / Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) v.1.3 / Device ID Profile (DIP) v.1.3
there should be no connectivity issues.

So how about it?
My senn hd4.40 (budget nonNC BT model on 2017) can connect BT to cayin n3
flawlessly by the way.
It have nfc, Bluetooth 4.0 which sold be not LE (low energy type)

Pxc550 (flagship BT with N.cancel model on 2016) also some people with senn BT momentum cant connect to cayin n3 also.
It have nfc, Bluetooth 4.2 i think this have BT LE (Low energy) not the classic one (which more uniform and cheaper chip they said)

The BT 4.2 should be compatible backward, or cayin BT chip have limitation to connect with more advance BT ? Because i think soon there is BT 5.0 series.
This is important for future proof i think

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back