Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 13, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #5,087 of 6,262
I did the update today and am very happy with being able to choose a larger font. I only wish that the font on the now playing screen could also be larger. Track name, number, time remaining, gain setting indicator and battery percentage are all still tiny.

Another nice surprise...when choosing an album in folder view the artist/title scroll now. Very helpful if you have several albums by one artist all in a row.

I have no need for Hiby but these changes are great for me. Thank you Cayin.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #5,088 of 6,262
I know not support dsd.
I explain the procedure just before the infamous pop happening.
Maybe the series of play dsd over BT or something else i did make or trigger the pop coming and cant stop after that.
If we know the trigger we can fixed it right ? Or maybe analyze it.

On earphone i am not try to next and before track repeatly just one or two time.
And it is not popped.

In car the pop happen if click next repeatly like 2 or 3 and randomly at 1 next or previous after that. The f.forward and f.previous also popped.

Nope BT is off all the time when popped.

Also i wanna ask, why cayin n3 cant paired (can see and discover, but always failed) when pairing headphone
sennheiser pxc550 ?

Try at firmware 2.1 and also after upgrade 2.2, try with
hibylink on/off
aptx on/off
Restart BT on/off
restart cayin itself
pxc550 in pairing mode, not in pairing mode, reset the pxc so the memory device paired BT back to zero.
(The BT in pxc can memory up to 8 device and can connect 2 at same time)
Try With 1 phone pairing and with pairing mode to device slot 2.
Pxc can connect with other phone can discover with everything.

Still failed in the end with cayin n3.

Already asked sennheiser and other like in crutcfield (discussion) and all give info that the problem should be in cayin (transmitter) not in receiver side.
So maybe there is something in BT mechanism inside cayin n3 that can tweak to fix this.

From senn website:

As long as the device that the Sennheiser headset is being connected to supports the appropriate Bluetooth version (usually 2.1 and EDR for Sennheiser products) or higher and the appropriate Bluetooth profiles;
Headset Profile (HSP) v.1.2 / Handsfree Profile (HFP) v.1.6 / Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) v.1.3 / Device ID Profile (DIP) v.1.3
there should be no connectivity issues.

So how about it?
My senn hd4.40 (budget nonNC BT model on 2017) can connect BT to cayin n3
flawlessly by the way.
It have nfc, Bluetooth 4.0 which sold be not LE (low energy type)

Pxc550 (flagship BT with N.cancel model on 2016) also some people with senn BT momentum cant connect to cayin n3 also.
It have nfc, Bluetooth 4.2 i think this have BT LE (Low energy) not the classic one (which more uniform and cheaper chip they said)

The BT 4.2 should be compatible backward, or cayin BT chip have limitation to connect with more advance BT ? Because i think soon there is BT 5.0 series.
This is important for future proof i think

Hi, I have consulted our senior engineers. The DSD files, TFcard, cables, amplifier and cable connections may result in pop sound.If you assure everything is ok with the equipment I just referred, you may consider contact your retailer to do warranty. Also, we are not familiar with sennheiser at all and don't have one in hand to perform the test. So it is hard for us to find the reason for you now. Sorry if any inconvenience caused!

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 13, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #5,090 of 6,262
I did the update today and am very happy with being able to choose a larger font. I only wish that the font on the now playing screen could also be larger. Track name, number, time remaining, gain setting indicator and battery percentage are all still tiny.

Another nice surprise...when choosing an album in folder view the artist/title scroll now. Very helpful if you have several albums by one artist all in a row.

I have no need for Hiby but these changes are great for me. Thank you Cayin.

Hi, we can realize it but once change font size, we need to redesign the UI from scratch, which is a pretty large project. So we have no plan to change it now. But I will record your kind suggestion for the future product! Thanks for your advice!

Dec 17, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #5,092 of 6,262
Anyone have any issues using thier N3 as a usb dac? Worked for about a week in win10, then started saying unrecognized device. Will not work under Linux Mint for me either. Any ideas?

That's strange, work for one week and then start to have issue?

Did you perform any windows update in this week? if you set your window to auto download all update, check the update log to find out if there is any update that might relate to USB or device driver?

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #5,094 of 6,262
Anyone have any issues using thier N3 as a usb dac? Worked for about a week in win10, then started saying unrecognized device. Will not work under Linux Mint for me either. Any ideas?

Are you using the Cayin cable or aftermarket?

Good point. Try another cable if you have not already done so. Many have had problems with the stock cable. My PC would not recognize the N3 with th stock cable and all I wanted to do was transfer files. An Anker cable from Amazon solved the problem.

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #5,095 of 6,262
Is there any sonic difference between the standard N3 and the one packaged with EN700 Pro IEM? Tempered glass back but that’s only physical as far as I’m aware.
Thanks!

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #5,096 of 6,262
Is there any sonic difference between the standard N3 and the one packaged with EN700 Pro IEM? Tempered glass back but that’s only physical as far as I’m aware.
Thanks!

I can't imagine there would be any difference. The internals would be the same, just a different backing material. I'd recommend using a case anyway, so I'm not sure there is any advantage to the tempered glass backing.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #5,097 of 6,262
That's strange, work for one week and then start to have issue?

Did you perform any windows update in this week? if you set your window to auto download all update, check the update log to find out if there is any update that might relate to USB or device driver?

Yes, there was a windows update in that time. Tried fresh install of win10 aswell. No dice. Also doesnt seem to work in linux.

Are you using the Cayin cable or aftermarket?

I have tried both. No luck with either.

From my understanding, the N3 should be plug and play in linux. Pulling up alsamixer I can see it, but i have not been able to get it to function.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #5,098 of 6,262
Also windows angered me for the last time, back to linux only for a while. Let me know if any other info will help

Edit: Usb storage mode works fine on linux with either cable. Did not work on windows at all.

Edit 2: Bluetooth works fine in Windows and Linux.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #5,099 of 6,262
Also windows angered me for the last time, back to linux only for a while. Let me know if any other info will help

Edit: Usb storage mode works fine on linux with either cable. Did not work on windows at all.

Edit 2: Bluetooth works fine in Windows and Linux.

Have you installed any anti-virus software on your win10 PC before? If yes, please uninstall it and reinstall the driver to have a try. Please download the win10 driver from here :https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-289#post-13754281
The process is fairly straight forward if you are using Linux or OS X based computer facilities because these devices support USB Audio Class 2.0 natively. But we cannot guarantee 100% that your linux computer has USB Audio Class 2.0, maybe you could contact its support to find the answer.Besides, you could disable the antivirus software on your linux computer to see what happens if it has been installed before.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #5,100 of 6,262
Thanks!
There isn't any sonic difference between the standard N3 and the one packaged with EN700 Pro IEM. Only physical tempered glass back difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back