Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 11, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #5,041 of 6,262
I'm not sure why everyone is getting so worked up. Yes, I want the damn thing to work, but Cayin already said that they had to wait for HiBy to release the final app and then after they'd tested the new firmware and ensured it worked, they're release it. So HiBy released the iOS app, I figure we're waiting for the final firmware from Cayin. I'd rather they got it right than be disappointed.
I don’t think anybody’s getting worked up, just impatient perhaps. Speaking for myself, I was commenting on the way the updates have been handled and the amount of time it’s taken, and HiBy have proved to be singularly unimpressive in that respect, at least as far as I’m concerned. I have an Android phone and an iPad so it’s not something that I’m ‘worked up’ about. Hope that’s OK with you.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #5,042 of 6,262
Before i play everything well without the infamous pop noise.
Added 10 to 11 dsd file to test.
Try to hear with bluetooth which 3 files not support wirelessly but play fine wired.
Next day play in car wired 3.5 to 3.5 aux.
Volume on head unit 40-45 with max is 60
And at MDB 50-60 and yep my cayin n3 pop like crazy. Next track. Previous track. Fast forward. It is there.
The pop noticeable especially in lower freq 500 hz below (midbass and subwoofer in car).

The pop is like jack with high gain turn on and we touch the jack barehanded or with other electricity current.

I am sure before this everything is not pop.
I guess soon or later we all get the infamous pop......

Firmware 2.1 stock brand new unit (came with 2.1) already tried reset to factory setting inside setting but not by pin hole.
Using 128gb microsd.

The past day only added dsd. Try BT Which should not pop.
Try hibylink create playlist also with stream BT to speaker and not pop here also troubled with dsd because limited support on BT.

Still not try wired

Turn off and this day viola infamous pop here and there...

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #5,043 of 6,262
I don’t think anybody’s getting worked up, just impatient perhaps. Speaking for myself, I was commenting on the way the updates have been handled and the amount of time it’s taken, and HiBy have proved to be singularly unimpressive in that respect, at least as far as I’m concerned. I have an Android phone and an iPad so it’s not something that I’m ‘worked up’ about. Hope that’s OK with you.
Actually I take that back about HiBy. Shanling released a firmware update on November 9th that enabled the M1 etcetera to work with iOS HiBy Link app so it seems a bit strange that over a month later Cayin have failed to follow suit. I don't really understand how it all works though because I thought HiBy were responsible for updating the N3 firmware as well as their own iOS app (and the M1 firmware...

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #5,044 of 6,262
Hi, thank you for your suggestion! For "add to play list" function, you could go to Playing now->click on Menu->add to my favorite. For EQ preset settings, N3 doesn't have keyboard so this function cannot be realized currently. Sorry for the inconvenience caused!

Hi and thanks for the reply,

I know how to add to a playlist. I was more specifically referring to a icon showing that a music file had already been added to a playlist. When you have hundreds of files it's difficult to know which music files have already been added to a playlist or not.

Also I find it tricky to click the middle enter button without accidentally touching the capacitive Touch buttons that are on either side of it. Thus for people with comparably large hands it would of been more beneficial to have the middle enter button raised slightly more.Having said that I can always stick something onto that button so I don't keep accidentally keep touching the capacitive areas.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #5,045 of 6,262
I would still be interested in feedback as to whether anyone who has opened an N3 up found that the back was glued as well as clipped on?

I haven't opened my up. But I wish manufactures would stop gluing the backs on these products. It's a waste of glue and prevents the units from having their parts easily replaced ( e.g. Batteries). Clips and/or small screws are better.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #5,046 of 6,262
I haven't opened my up. But I wish manufactures would stop gluing the backs on these products. It's a waste of glue and prevents the units from having their parts easily replaced ( e.g. Batteries). Clips and/or small screws are better.

Screws would be fine but I don't like clips. They are too fragile and often aren't strong enough. Also, I have a DAP that the screen is held in place with clips. Twice I've removed it from its protective case to see the screen detached from the body of the player, connected only by it's ribbon. Plus, for most people, replacing parts or batteries is far from an easy venture.

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #5,047 of 6,262
Plus, for most people, replacing parts or batteries is far from an easy venture.

Yes because the products have not been designed so that most people can easily change any specific part. My 8 year daughter could unscrew four screws and replace a plugin battery. Or any other component in a user friendly modular system ( Though my 8 year old daughter can also identify more species of birds than I) . It's not like the majority of product manufactures are thinking " mmmm...? How can we sell less stuff to people?. I know lets make our products last longer and be more easily upgraded-able". That isn't how free market capitalism works. And that's why most countries banned slavery, capitalism or possibly the greedy need to be regulated for the good of all. A system without regulation is a oxymoron in terms.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #5,048 of 6,262
Announcement of Cayin N3 firmware v2.2

upload_2017-12-12_10-31-55.png

http://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13525

New Functions and System Optimization
  1. Enhance HiByLink* to connect with iOS version HiByMusic App.
  2. Enhance UI by allowing user to select a larger font size
  3. Simplify playback interface, the album or artist information will be displayed only when the song has album or artist information
For instruction to connect N3 to HibyLink, please refer to previous discussion:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-180#post-13573380

Cayin N3 Firmware Upgrade
  • Each version of firmware might contain minor different, consumer please decide on your own accord whether you need to update the firmware of your N3 DAP.
  • Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrade will not cause any damage to user information, but Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to mal-operation or any other reason. For these reasons, you might be required to format your N3 DAP and result in losing person data stored on the player. We strongly suggest you backup all your personal data stored on the player before you perform firmware upgrade.
  • The N3 firmware cannot be used in other product, and the firmware from other product cannot be used in N3
Firmware upgrades procedure
  1. For safety reason, please make sure the N3 DAP has not less than 50% battery power before you proceed, otherwise please charge up the player before you upgrade the firmware
  2. Download the latest firmware from Cayin website (www.cayin.cn). Decompress and copy the N3 firmware file (update.upt) into the root directory of a TF card.
  3. Insert the TF card into the N3 DAP and complete your firmware upgrade with either one of the following steps:
  • While N3 has been turned on, select “System Setup” and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list, select “System Update”, the system will complete the upgrade process automatically, and reboot the player after update is completed.
  • While N3 has been turned off, hold the round physical “Enter” button, and then hold the “Power on/off” button, the system start the firmware upgrade process and will complete the process automatically. It will reboot the player after update is completed.
Noe: N3 can support FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS formatted TF card during the firmware upgrade process.

When the upgrade is completed, you can verify the current firmware version number by selecting “System Setting” menu, under “About the Player and storage information” option, check out the “Firmware Version” detail.

Attention
  • Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  • Please delete/remove the firmware file from the TF card after firmware upgrade
  • Please update your Music Library after firmware upgrade

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 11, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #5,049 of 6,262
Right, Bluetooth works fine with Hiby link off but with Hiby link on BT disconnects and iPhone has no way to see music on N3. What am I missing???

That’s great news Cayin! :punch:

Yep, I got Bluetooth working, but that’s worked with my iPad since I bought the N3. It’s the HiBy Link that doesn’t work. Is that something you need to fix with firmware update (as I think you suggested) or is it an issue with HiBy software?

Hi all, we just release the HibyLink iOS version firmware, please go ahead and give that a try :laughing:: http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13525

Last edited:

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #5,051 of 6,262
This is what I have been wanting... thank you!!!!
Yes, we promised to look into it. We tried several options, some of them require a much larger workload and will take a lot longer to deliver as it requires changing the "coordinates" if every UI screen. I still think the LARGE font is on the small side but this is the more efficient solution relatively.

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #5,052 of 6,262
Yes, we promised to look into it. We tried several options, some of them require a much larger workload and will take a lot longer to deliver as it requires changing the "coordinates" if every UI screen. I still think the LARGE font is on the small side but this is the more efficient solution relatively.

Most excellent! :metal:

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #5,053 of 6,262
Actually I take that back about HiBy. Shanling released a firmware update on November 9th that enabled the M1 etcetera to work with iOS HiBy Link app so it seems a bit strange that over a month later Cayin have failed to follow suit. I don't really understand how it all works though because I thought HiBy were responsible for updating the N3 firmware as well as their own iOS app (and the M1 firmware...

We have explained the problem to the community back in 17 November.:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-320#post-13847912

The iOS version HoByMusic App has only been releases on App Store few days ago, there is no prior notice from App Store, we were informed by HiBy as soon as they know about the updated ststus. We promised to release updated firmware as soon as App Store updated the HiByMusic App, and so we did, it can't be the same day as we need to wrap up the ongoing firmware development into something "publishable" and go through the regular QA processes as deem required. I think we are doing fine, sorry if we have disappointed you but we'll insist thorough testing before releasing any firmware to our customers.

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #5,054 of 6,262
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-320#post-13847912

The iOS version HoByMusic App has only been releases on App Store few days ago, there is no prior notice from App Store, we were informed by HiBy as soon as they know about the updated ststus. We promised to release updated firmware as soon as App Store updated the HiByMusic App, and so we did, it can't be the same day as we need to wrap up the ongoing firmware development into something "publishable" and go through the regular QA processes as deem required. I think we are doing fine, sorry if we have disappointed you but we'll insist thorough testing before releasing any firmware to our customers.
It works, it works, it works! Storage and dac/amp handled by N3, control and interface handled by iPhone. Each responsible for their strength. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Thank you Cayin! ( & Hiby). Now how do I replace rows of identical green albums with rows of album art? Oh, did I say thank you?

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #5,055 of 6,262

You haven't lost your charm I see. As far as I'm aware, Shanling are operating under the same constraints as Cayin but they released HiBy Link firmware that worked with the new app a month before the official App Store release. I posted my question because as far as I understand, HiBy write your firmware as well, so it seems odd that Shanling's was updated a month before yours - I find the arrangement/situation confusing (as I said in my post). Either you misread what I posted or you simply don't like anybody who isn't constantly heaping praise on you. I like the N3 but I'm beginning to wish I'd bought something else so I didn't have to interact with Cayin representatives in any way or form.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back