Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 16, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #4,817 of 6,262
Do the filter options make any noticeable difference?
Yes. Check the chart for how different filters sound: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42106
Read below the chart for some info on how the filters work behind the scenes. Also, check this: http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/cayin-n3-sharp.php
This is only "Sharp" filter's report, but on the same page you can check all filter's reports. Also, docholliday posted valuable info on this thread.

My personal preference is "Sharp" or "Slow". "Sharp" seems the most accurate representation of the source. "Slow" rolls off some highs, but could be preferred if on the mood for smoother and warmer sound. Some folks may remember me liking "Slow" the best, but now I am leaning towards "Sharp". Just see the report and/or listen to vocals. I can hear the words more clear than with other filters.

You may ask why not "Short delay Sharp" or other filters. Well, to be simple, "Short delay Sharp" gives too boomy sound for me, "Short delay Slow" is better, but still a bit too boomy, "Super Slow" rolls off too much highs (on the other hand, it somehow gives the most natural feeling to real instruments and/or vocals; but too much highs are missing to take this compromise).

One more thing: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-307#post-13815133
You may like one of these EQ, or you can try to find your own EQ for CA Orion. This is frequency responce graph of CA Orion.
index.php

If both my EQs didn't sound good enough, the first thing I'd try is to reduce the peak ("mountain") arround 2k. In other words, I'd modify my EQs to have at least -2dB gain at 2k. If still not good enough, I'd try to EQ other frequencies to make other 2 "mountains" at arround 6k and 9.5k (a bit) lower. Note, N3 doesn't have 6k and 9.5k points in the EQ, so you'd need more customizable (probably, parametric) EQ for the best results. And note, there are other EQs posted on this thread, and, of course, try to listen with EQ off.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #4,818 of 6,262
After tried my first cayin n3. Everything is good. The sound sig is analog like. Clarity is there and body of sound is alright (depends on headphone/iem)

Still confuse, for cannot add playlist by folder not by each track. Hibylink also still not found if any means to add folder to playlist and cannot browse folder structure on n3 memory by hibylink. Can someone give direction?

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #4,820 of 6,262
Another thing I noticed is headset controls don't work with the fiio mmcx cable.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the N3 supports the use of inline controls. I don't recall seeing an option for them in settings either.

ETA: Per Cayin's website, it says it supports CITA standard inline controls. Not sure why it doesn't work then? I would assume the FiiO's are CITA standard, but I've read reviews on Amazon where FiiO IEMs with inline controls don't work with FiiO devices. Do you have other headphones with inline controls that you could test?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #4,821 of 6,262
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the N3 supports the use of inline controls. I don't recall seeing an option for them in settings either.

ETA: Per Cayin's website, it says it supports CITA standard inline controls. Not sure why it doesn't work then? I would assume the FiiO's are CITA standard, but I've read reviews on Amazon where FiiO IEMs with inline controls don't work with FiiO devices. Do you have other headphones with inline controls that you could test?

It's been my experience that the N3 works with some, not with others.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #4,822 of 6,262
looks to me to work with android but not for ones designed for IOS.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #4,823 of 6,262
Just tried bluetooth receiver feature. Huge delay (~2s) so not gonna use this for movies. Or games, which is too bad.
Sound quality is good enough for casual listening.
EDIT: Doesn't work with a psvita. Says "connected" but doesn't go into receiver mode.
Also the delay is only on starting and stopping the audio stream. Delay is pretty low otherwise.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #4,824 of 6,262
With Black Friday coming up I am considering getting a smartwatch to control my N3. There’s a really good deal on an Apple Watch (series 1) so Im considering getting that since I have an iPhone. However... I can’t seem to find any information as to whether there is a generic bluetooth remote (or remote app) to do that with. I am pretty sure I’ve seen android wear watches that can do it but I know how Apple is and how protective of their iTunes monopoly they are so I need some kind of confirmation. If the Apple watch will do it for sure then I’ll get one of those for now. (Trying to eventually get out of Apple’s ecosystem eventually but Android Wear is still kind of underdeveloped right now and the black friday price is really good on the Apple Watch) Does anyone know if you can use the apple watch as a generic bluetooth media remote? (Connect to generic device and play/pause/skip)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #4,829 of 6,262
okay thanks for the quick reply, another question is the build quality good? any bugs?
Build quality is OK-ish. Nothing exceptional, but it works. It certainly doesn't feel as premium as it looks.
I had some issues with the bluetooth receiver function.
Otherwise it works just fine. Library scanning doesn't take too long (~1m for my almost 2000 tracks).
Also the ports are pretty stiff at first but that's normal, they loosen over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back