Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 27, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #4,592 of 6,262
Liboer BH870 - carbon black (many other colors available including rose gold)

I hang around in the Asian headphone thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...-ear-headphones.822184/page-161#post-13812574
Thread has been slightly derailed tonight though.

A while back someone posted a photo of the other Liboers I have and I got them out of curiosity because they were really cheap but interesting. They turned out to sound really great to me so when I saw these 870s on amazon for £10 (I think the other colors were £35 and all were nearly that on aliexpress). So I grabbed them. Shared the info with the others on the thread and the remaining pairs disappeared from Amazon. the rose gold one can be found in the following link. If you click around you can probably find the other colors. It even came with a warranty support card.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...7058.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.8a25325Vp3m0W

Seems if you have a good driver (40mm Titanium in this) you can just about put it into any housing with possible good results.I cannot actually say that eveyone should get these. For me it was a curiosity thing and while I do love the sound, you can see by the handband that they are not the most secure on the head...slides a bit on my hair. The way they adjust is interesting. The metal slider part slides in and out of the cup itself. They fold and actually came with a nice case and a bag as well. Decent cable too. Well worth the £10...lol. Doubt the pads are can be replaced. This is the fun part for me... finding hidden gems.

This is what they look like on the underside of the cups.

upload_2017-10-28_0-50-42.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #4,594 of 6,262
I read some of the other thread and the store link but I see no mention of the Carbon Black version and can't find one anywhere.

You have to click on the various links within the store because there are different color options within each. This one has the carbon, a wood look, and a couple of flowery ones. Like I said mine was from amazon but was fulfilled by the Blanou store. My first Liboers did come from Blanou directly through aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...485.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.5b368afdmXKCUF

That link says headphones for girls but two of the color options are unisex... or they all could be... :) Takes awhile to come from China. Can't remember how long my other Liboers took. My Amazon ones took a few days...

On amazon I only found the rose gold ones and a bluetooth version (that does come in gunmetal) I don't know anything about the bluetooth one.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #4,595 of 6,262
Liboer BH870 - carbon black (many other colors available including rose gold)

I hang around in the Asian headphone thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...-ear-headphones.822184/page-161#post-13812574
Thread has been slightly derailed tonight though.

A while back someone posted a photo of the other Liboers I have and I got them out of curiosity because they were really cheap but interesting. They turned out to sound really great to me so when I saw these 870s on amazon for £10 (I think the other colors were £35 and all were nearly that on aliexpress). So I grabbed them. Shared the info with the others on the thread and the remaining pairs disappeared from Amazon. the rose gold one can be found in the following link. If you click around you can probably find the other colors. It even came with a warranty support card.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...7058.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.8a25325Vp3m0W

Seems if you have a good driver (40mm Titanium in this) you can just about put it into any housing with possible good results.I cannot actually say that eveyone should get these. For me it was a curiosity thing and while I do love the sound, you can see by the handband that they are not the most secure on the head...slides a bit on my hair. The way they adjust is interesting. The metal slider part slides in and out of the cup itself. They fold and actually came with a nice case and a bag as well. Decent cable too. Well worth the £10...lol. Doubt the pads are can be replaced. This is the fun part for me... finding hidden gems.

This is what they look like on the underside of the cups.

Those look cool, and I'll probably love them unless I can resist. Btw, thanks for pointing out that thread. Sorry it got stupid - time to sell those Amirons lol!

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #4,596 of 6,262
In case anyone is interested Walmart has the Photive HF1 on sale. (I got mine for an amazing introductory price of $10 when they first came out.) I bought a second pair for $39 on sale as a charging backup six months later which should give you some idea how much I liked them. For whatever reason they never caught on as well as the Photive BTH-3 (That is reviewed positively here) Never seen mention of the HF1 here though. About 5 of my friends ordered some after hearing them. 2 of them paid $80-$90. :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Photive-...0019&wl11=online&wl12=175374059&wl13=&veh=sem

I've considered ordering the BTH-3's to compare. They are more cheaply made but people say they sound great.

Photive has some true wireless iem's on Amazon that they don't list on their website yet. I think they are trying to get feedback on it first. (supposedly crackling problems with those) But I'm very excited to see how version 1.5 turns out because I like Photive's sound.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4,598 of 6,262
In search of perfect EQ. Chapter 2. Set 31, 63, 125 and 250 to -2 dB. 500, 1k, 2k and 4k to -1 dB. The reasoning behind this EQ is that I find N3 having a bit forward mids comparing to treble, and a bit forward bass comparing to mids. Example:

I suggest to pay most attention to an interval from 0:52 to 1:10 and from 1:43 to 2:17. Without EQ, most obvious for me is slightly forward bass. Well, actually, it wasn't obvious until I tried the EQ. It seem to make the sound more linear across all the frequencies, thus I seem to hear a bit more crispness, clarity and details.

Note. I'm not telling this as a fact, just an opinion, formed by audio gear and how I perceive the sound. If my opinion tells the trueth, it means I changed warm/bassy sound to be more neutral, but not necesserally better, because different people prefer different sound sigs.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #4,599 of 6,262
Thanks nplateau for helping out by quoting my previous respond on the maximum file limit on Music Category function. I have submitted an optimization request to my team last Wednesday, literally immediately before I get on my plan to US (well, the plan was delayed for 6 hours, so I have some extra time to handle that promptly). From what I was told today, we can increase the title limit to 20,000, this is technically feasible and probably hitting the limit of N3 hardware (CPU processing power and RAM available for processing). The final availability will depend on actual testing after implementation. We cannot 100% guarantee that the feature will roll out in next firmware upgrade, we'll implement the feature but the final result will depends on actually testing, we do not want to downgrade our user experience and UI smoothness because of this feature.

For the meantime, you can access to all music files of your TF card by using the Music Library function of N3.

Hi Andy,

I am very late to this thread, but I just got my N3 and am loving everything--except the 20,000 song limit. Using the Music Library function works fine, but as a kid raised on iPods I'd love the option of browsing by category and shuffling my whole library, which is pushing 30,000.

What are the chances of an expansion to the song limit in the future?

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #4,600 of 6,262
It is ok. If you come across it again, feel free to let me know.
Actually,this is a normal searching result because the search will not create a new list with selected item from the search. It will only bring you to the location of searched item in your list, and in normal searching practice, punctuation is neglected. Therefore when you search for S in your list, system will jump to the First entry start with S in your list, and in this case, the search direct you to .Sinch which happens to be the position at the top of the list.If you try out searching function of other app or contact list in your mobile phone, you should end up with similar results.

Thanks for clarifying for me.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #4,601 of 6,262
Really delving into the EQ section on my N3 today. It's great! I get to change the genre presets to "fix" my headphones without having to use the custom slot. Adding some vocal presence to the E-MU Teak, and adding some low and high end extension to the Oppo PM-3 really makes those cans pop, particularly the Teaks. Even better, both are so easy to drive I don't need to boost the gain, just the volume.

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #4,602 of 6,262
Really delving into the EQ section on my N3 today. It's great! I get to change the genre presets to "fix" my headphones without having to use the custom slot. Adding some vocal presence to the E-MU Teak, and adding some low and high end extension to the Oppo PM-3 really makes those cans pop, particularly the Teaks. Even better, both are so easy to drive I don't need to boost the gain, just the volume.
It would be interesting to know your EQs. I have so far found 2 EQs which I like. One is
M6wGSi0.jpg

The reasoning behind it explained a few posts above. Another is everything set to -1 dB, except 8k and 16k, which are left as 0 dB. It's worth a mention that I use "Slow" digital filter.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #4,603 of 6,262
It would be interesting to know your EQs. I have so far found 2 EQs which I like. One is
M6wGSi0.jpg

The reasoning behind it explained a few posts above. Another is everything set to -1 dB, except 8k and 16k, which are left as 0 dB. It's worth a mention that I use "Slow" digital filter.

Im trying this, so far I like it, thanks for share.. Pair it with my slightly warm Xba A3..

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #4,604 of 6,262
Howdy all. I picked up a N3 the other day and have been getting used to how it works.

The custom firmware from XVortex and gLer is a great improvement for the Cayin stock UI.

I like the player so far. Analog output quality is excellent. The UI and controls are a little funky. The text size really needs to be configurable. Too small. And yeah haptic-feedback touch buttons are no replacement for mechanical buttons on blind usage.

I wish I could pair it with my car's Bluetooth. It really should have the ability to enter a numeric pin. That's not asking a lot. It's not going to be any harder for the user than tweaking that EQ with the haptic buttons.

I also noticed that the EQ does not function in line-out mode. Though that probably makes sense.

My last DAP was a Creative Zen Xtra that I had upgraded to 120GB. Used it for 13 years! Unfortunately the USB finally died on it. It had other quirks too, like playback errors that I could never nail down. I think it had something to do with the HDD interface and its frequent spin up/down behavior even with external power.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #4,605 of 6,262
M6wGSi0.jpg

ETA: I edited my settings to be subtractive only.

Going subtractive only means switching back to Medium gain to keep the volume level in the right zone. This setting boosts the vocal presence region and takes a little of the edge off the top, allowing the Teaks to sound more dynamic and less fatiguing. Boosting the mids do reduce the soundstage, but I'll take the trade-off. Out of the two cans, I'm really impressed with how the Fostex bio-cellulose driver takes to EQing on the N3. With this setting, this is my favorite pairing with the Cayin now.

-2Db__-2Db__-2Db__0Db__0Db__0Db__-1Db__-2Db__-2Db__-3Db
_31___63____125__ 250__500___1K___2K____4K____8K___16K

For the Oppo PM-3, the opposite problem actually, since they're tuned to be mid-centric, imho. This EQ setting is supposed to boost the bass extension and treble extension to slightly different degrees. That said, if you want that very forward vocal presence on the PM-3 but also want to fix the mid-centric nature, I'd just play with reducing that section by only -1Db.

0Db__0Db__-1Db__-2Db__-2Db__-2Db__-2Db__-1Db__-1Db__0Db
_31___63___125___250___500___1K____2K____4K___8K___16K

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back