Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #4,801 of 6,262
Display by track title REALLY needs to be the standard.
What's the point having a database system to just end up half-assing it in the end?
In file browser view I would say that the file name is the more obvious choice. I don't even use tags so your suggestion would be no good for me (if that's what you actually meant).

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #4,802 of 6,262
In file browser view I would say that the file name is the more obvious choice. I don't even use tags so your suggestion would be no good for me (if that's what you actually meant).
I think he means displaying the track title in the now playing screen instead of the long scrolling title/file info that displays currently. My FiiOs did this. It makes for a cleaner now playing screen, however I can live without it.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #4,803 of 6,262
I have said the iOS HiByLink is happening back in last Wednesday, and it is indeed round the corner only (finger crossed please).

Yes, We have been informed that HiByMusic has submitted their latest iOS version to App Store and is pending for approval. We have also received the N3 beta firmware (v2.1 + iOS HiByLink enabled) and the latest beta version of iOS HiByMusic App (Build 6033) download link from beta.bugly.qq.com platform. We are testing the iOS compatibility right now.

We have discussed whether we should release the Beta version App and firmware, but we decided to stick with our own practice: beta firmware and application are mean for testing, and we should resume this duty diligently as responsible manufacturer. Therefore we decided to focus on the testing right now and release the firmware/app when we have tested them thoroughly or when they are available in official release.

Will keep everyone informed in due course, so please stay tuned.

Finally! Thank you @Andykong for your persistence and updates :) As for everyone asking about the custom firmware, I'll work on and release a new version (with my genius partner in crime) once the iOS-enabled firmware update is released.

Looking forward to these :)

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #4,809 of 6,262
I have had no luck with pulseaudio, the only way I have got the N3 to work as a DAC was to use alsa directly - you will need to change your udev rules so that pulse does not try to access the device.
Pulseaudio has a feature allowing you to blacklist devices. Used that when I had issues with the shanling m2.
Still it did work the first time I plugged it in.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #4,810 of 6,262
Pulseaudio has a feature allowing you to blacklist devices. Used that when I had issues with the shanling m2.
Still it did work the first time I plugged it in.

I have found the N3 will enter a corrupted state after pulse (or even alsa) tries to set the hw params on the N3 with incorrect settings. After making sure that pulse is not trying to access the N3 when it is plugged in (check your dmesg logs you shouldn't see any errors when the N3 plugged in), restarting the N3 and plugging it back in again should work. You then have to make sure that only one application at a time is trying to access the N3 - after many attempts I now have working configurations for mpd, mopidy and deadbeef music player. What are you using on your PC to play your music? Let me know if you need more details.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #4,811 of 6,262
I have found the N3 will enter a corrupted state after pulse (or even alsa) tries to set the hw params on the N3 with incorrect settings. After making sure that pulse is not trying to access the N3 when it is plugged in (check your dmesg logs you shouldn't see any errors when the N3 plugged in), restarting the N3 and plugging it back in again should work. You then have to make sure that only one application at a time is trying to access the N3 - after many attempts I now have working configurations for mpd, mopidy and deadbeef music player. What are you using on your PC to play your music? Let me know if you need more details.
Oh just rebooting it works.
Works with PA too, and deadbeef with alsa output, correct samplerate and all.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #4,812 of 6,262
Oh just rebooting it works.
Works with PA too, and deadbeef with alsa output, correct samplerate and all.

Its interesting that you have manged to get this to work with Pulseaudio - I will try again today, I would really like pulse support. When you play a 44.1 16bit flac with deadbeef (if you have any...) does the N3 report the correct bit depth? I find that sample rate is always correct - provided I select the right output for the N3 in deadbeef but the bit depth is always 24bit regardless of what is being played.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #4,813 of 6,262
Its interesting that you have manged to get this to work with Pulseaudio - I will try again today, I would really like pulse support. When you play a 44.1 16bit flac with deadbeef (if you have any...) does the N3 report the correct bit depth? I find that sample rate is always correct - provided I select the right output for the N3 in deadbeef but the bit depth is always 24bit regardless of what is being played.
It does say 24 bit.
Also dammit this thing can't switch sampling rates correctly with deadbeef. It's stuck to 44.1 now.
EDIT wait no it's more like it can't go under 44.1

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #4,814 of 6,262
It does say 24 bit.
Also dammit this thing can't switch sampling rates correctly. It's stuck to 44.1 now.

Yeah I think you have to unplug reboot and plug back in to change sample rate... I don't think this is Cayin's fault from what I read this is a common problem with usb audio devices on linux - there is a very good article about why this can happen which is hidden in a txt file somewhere in Linux Torvalds Linux repo on github (I can't actually find this atm but it is there somewhere!).

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #4,815 of 6,262
Yeah I think you have to unplug reboot and plug back in to change sample rate... I don't think this is Cayin's fault from what I read this is a common problem with usb audio devices on linux - there is a very good article about why this can happen which is hidden in a txt file somewhere in Linux Torvalds Linux repo on github (I can't actually find this atm but it is there somewhere!).
It does switch a few times, before getting invalid clock source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back