Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 20, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #4,846 of 6,262
After tried my first cayin n3. Everything is good. The sound sig is analog like. Clarity is there and body of sound is alright (depends on headphone/iem)

Still confuse, for cannot add playlist by folder not by each track. Hibylink also still not found if any means to add folder to playlist and cannot browse folder structure on n3 memory by hibylink. Can someone give direction?

Hi, I think you need to recreate a playlist by this way: http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13522

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 20, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #4,847 of 6,262
Just tried bluetooth receiver feature. Huge delay (~2s) so not gonna use this for movies. Or games, which is too bad.
Sound quality is good enough for casual listening.
EDIT: Doesn't work with a psvita. Says "connected" but doesn't go into receiver mode.
Also the delay is only on starting and stopping the audio stream. Delay is pretty low otherwise.

Hi, I haven't tried to connect N3 with game devices like psvita via BT. Bluetooth rconnection cannot work synchronously for it involves no clock signal, so it is normal that Bluetooth has delay.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #4,848 of 6,262
Hi fourrobert13, sorry for my late reply! CITA standard headphone supports pause/play, previous/next function but volume control. OMTP standard headphone doesn't support inline control and only can hear the sound. Any chance you could double confirm your headphone standard? If your headphone is indeed CITA standard, it may to do with the headphone electronic circuit , which is unsure now. I just tried inline control with my colleague iphone6 headphone, the pause/play function worked perfectly and previous/next function didn't work for the iphone6 headphone didn't have this function.
I don't use anything with inline controls. I was trying to help someone else, but thanks anyway.

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #4,849 of 6,262
I am getting a lot of popping noises when using the N3 as a usb DAC. Does anyone else experience this (occurs with pulseaudio or gstreamer on linux)?

@duo8 - you mentioned that you had the N3 working with pulseaudio, do you hear popping sounds? If not how have you configured things on the linux end?

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #4,850 of 6,262
I am getting a lot of popping noises when using the N3 as a usb DAC. Does anyone else experience this (occurs with pulseaudio or gstreamer on linux)?

@duo8 - you mentioned that you had the N3 working with pulseaudio, do you hear popping sounds? If not how have you configured things on the linux end?
No popping. I didn't have to configure anything.

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #4,851 of 6,262

I have never received a feedback of pop sound on Linux so far.To explore the issue thoroughly, we need to have the following information:

• N3 firmware number
  • USB TypeC cable used in the connection: stock cable in N3 package? Third party cable (please provide brand name)
  • Windows OS information: Linux version number?
  • PC hardware information: just rough data about CPU and RAM size.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #4,853 of 6,262
I have never received a feedback of pop sound on Linux so far.To explore the issue thoroughly, we need to have the following information:

• N3 firmware number
  • USB TypeC cable used in the connection: stock cable in N3 package? Third party cable (please provide brand name)

• Firmware: 2.1
  • USB cable: stock cable and third party - Anker, both have same problem
  • Linux: Fedora with kernel 4.13.13-200
  • PC: Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4, 15.6 GiB Ram

It is worth noting that these popping sounds occur only when using pulseaudio or gstreamer to play music through the N3. I have not noticed any issues when using ALSA directly to play music through the N3.

These popping sounds are very noticeable when listening to anything that is quite minimal - for example when listening to Hiroshi Yoshimura's music for nine post cards on spotify (either using the spotify app with pulseaudio or using mopidy which uses gstreamer) the popping sounds are very prominent.

I have heard of other people having issues of this sort with a usb dac and gstreamer - indicating it might not be the N3 to blame, on the the otherhand I have not heard of anyone having such problems with pulse audio.

My current setup is to use Jack to play music through the N3 and connect pulseaudio to Jack, this reduces the popping but it still occurs.

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4,854 of 6,262

• N3 firmware number
  • Firmware: 2.1
  • USB cable: stock cable and third party - Anker, both have same problem
  • Linux: Fedora with kernel 4.13.13-200
  • PC: Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4, 15.6 GiB Ram
It is worth noting that these popping sounds occur only when using pulseaudio or gstreamer to play music through the N3. I have not noticed any issues when using ALSA directly to play music through the N3.

These popping sounds are very noticeable when listening to anything that is quite minimal - for example when listening to Hiroshi Yoshimura's music for nine post cards on spotify (either using the spotify app with pulseaudio or using mopidy which uses gstreamer) the popping sounds are very prominent.

I have heard of other people having issues of this sort with a usb dac and gstreamer - indicating it might not be the N3 to blame, on the the otherhand I have not heard of anyone having such problems with pulse audio.

My current setup is to use Jack to play music through the N3 and connect pulseaudio to Jack, this reduces the popping but it still occurs.

I had many issues using the N3 with DAPhile - linux based. Everything sounded like a bad vinyl rip. DAPhile is set to use ALSA but its still noisy. I also had the exact same problem under Windows. I ended up sending if off to RMA purgatory - maybe I'll get it back this year

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #4,860 of 6,262
Google tells me a decision by Apple on an app submitted to them takes about a week. (That short time frame surprised me.) But Cayin have to work on the N3 firmware/software as far as I understand (details are in an earlier post when ios/Hiby link was announced)

I'm eagerly waiting for this too! I even managed to add the beta to my iphone, but it wouldn't run!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back