Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 10, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #4,771 of 6,262
It's not listed in their supported formats, but is the Opus codec able to be played on the N3? Anyone willing to test?

Nov 10, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #4,772 of 6,262
It's not listed in their supported formats, but is the Opus codec able to be played on the N3? Anyone willing to test?

Someone said earlier that it does not.

Nov 10, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #4,773 of 6,262
AAC isn't listed either but it works just fine. For some reason though, I pretty sure it can't due Opus. I can't remember where I read that so take it with a grain of salt.

Nov 11, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #4,777 of 6,262
You'd expect the file name to appear in the file browser, wouldn't you? Makes sense to me anyway...
I don't have my N3 in front of me, but I think there is a setting on what to display (file name, title, or whatever it is). However, you'd still have to write the particular tag to get it to display what you want.

Oh, so you mean the name that appears there is the file name and not the one on the #EXTINF line? I wish @CayinSupport would update the firmware for the N3. When was the last update? July?
I'm not sure what a fw update will do for you? Cayin has said that the N3 can't handle much more as far as features do to CPU usage on the N3 being limited. Just change your tag to make it display like you want. I only have experience with Cayin, FiiO, and Sansa and you can get them to display anything if you tag your files correctly. Keep in mind, due to the limited screen size and font of the N3, the N3 would be doing a lot of scrolling for you to view larger file/title names. Personally, I don't stare at the screen while listening. I pick the album I want to listen to, hit play, and then turn the screen off. YMMV

Nov 11, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #4,778 of 6,262
Hi everyone,

I have finally managed to get my N3 to work as a usb DAC in Linux. If anyone else is having trouble with this the key step for me was to change my udev rules so that pulseaudio does not try to use the N3, this allows alsa to use the device directly.

First you will need to find out where your udev rules are stored, this is usually /etc/udev/rules.d/

In this folder create (or edit) a file called 89-pulseaudio-usb.rules and make sure it contains the lines:
Code:
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2d87", ATTRS{idProduct}=="001a", ENV{PULSE_IGNORE}="1"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2d87", ATTRS{idProduct}=="001a", GROUP="users"
The first line ensure pulseaudio does not try to grab the N3, the second line (which may not be needed) sets up permissions for the this device - it sets the devices group to "users" this means that all members of the "users" group should be able to access it (you may want check which groups your user is a member of to ensure that you will be able to access the N3).

After creating this file and rebooting the computer everything should (mostly) work. You will not be able to use this device through pulseaudio so only programs that use alsa will work - I have had success with DeadBeef, mpd and mopidy music players. Sometimes when I plug the N3 into the computer it will not work straight away - so far simply unplugging the N3 and restarting it seems to do the trick.

It would seem to me that the N3 sometimes gets "messed up" in the sense that when a program tries to play music through it as a usb DAC in the "wrong way" (whatever that might be, for me using aplay with the incorrect settings seems to do the job) the N3 goes into a state where it refuse to work as usb DAC until it is restarted. It would be great @CayinSupport could look into this and improve Linux support in future firmware releases. I accept that this might not be entirely Cayin's fault, audio on Linux is a fickle beast! That being said other usb audio devices I own do work without any of this faff and are literally plug and play (even with pulseaudio).

Regardless I am very pleased with the N3 especially as now all of its features are working for me. It would be great if Cayin could iron out some firmware related issues - particularly the click in between tracks in gapless mode which I know a few people on here are experiencing.

Nov 11, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #4,779 of 6,262
Hi everyone,

I have finally managed to get my N3 to work as a usb DAC in Linux. If anyone else is having trouble with this the key step for me was to change my udev rules so that pulseaudio does not try to use the N3, this allows alsa to use the device directly.

First you will need to find out where your udev rules are stored, this is usually /etc/udev/rules.d/

In this folder create (or edit) a file called 89-pulseaudio-usb.rules and make sure it contains the lines:
Code:
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2d87", ATTRS{idProduct}=="001a", ENV{PULSE_IGNORE}="1"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2d87", ATTRS{idProduct}=="001a", GROUP="users"
The first line ensure pulseaudio does not try to grab the N3, the second line (which may not be needed) sets up permissions for the this device - it sets the devices group to "users" this means that all members of the "users" group should be able to access it (you may want check which groups your user is a member of to ensure that you will be able to access the N3).

After creating this file and rebooting the computer everything should (mostly) work. You will not be able to use this device through pulseaudio so only programs that use alsa will work - I have had success with DeadBeef, mpd and mopidy music players. Sometimes when I plug the N3 into the computer it will not work straight away - so far simply unplugging the N3 and restarting it seems to do the trick.

It would seem to me that the N3 sometimes gets "messed up" in the sense that when a program tries to play music through it as a usb DAC in the "wrong way" (whatever that might be, for me using aplay with the incorrect settings seems to do the job) the N3 goes into a state where it refuse to work as usb DAC until it is restarted. It would be great @CayinSupport could look into this and improve Linux support in future firmware releases. I accept that this might not be entirely Cayin's fault, audio on Linux is a fickle beast! That being said other usb audio devices I own do work without any of this faff and are literally plug and play (even with pulseaudio).

Regardless I am very pleased with the N3 especially as now all of its features are working for me. It would be great if Cayin could iron out some firmware related issues - particularly the click in between tracks in gapless mode which I know a few people on here are experiencing.

Amazing that you can get this sorted out, Linux is a stranger to me, so I can only sit back and watch, .... and of course report the issue to the back end team, making sure they check is there is anything we can do to improve the situation. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 11, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #4,781 of 6,262
Hibylink for ios may be in the works. I was reading the M2s thread and Shanling just released a new fw update with a beta ios version of hibylink. So perhaps the N3 users will get an ios version in the near future. I run Android myself, but thought I would pass this on.

Nov 12, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #4,785 of 6,262
A couple guys already modded the N3 fw a while back. Just search custom firmware and you'll find it.

I think they are working on an updated version of the custom firmware. I am waiting for that. Meanwhile I am fine with the current stock firmware. I am really hoping that any new firmware... custom or stock... will increase the font size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back