Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 9, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #4,756 of 6,262
Will this give me a better lisening experience compared to my cowon j3 or S8+?

I am thinking of getting either n3 or x5 iii...
Or perhaps an I5...
I will just be using IEMs.

Any ideas?

I had the J3. There have been a lot of technological advances since it was introduced. There are far too many differences to attempt a comparison. The N3 has quickly become my favorite player. I use it with iems, buds and headphones. Unless you need the smaller form of the J3, I don't think you would be disappointed with the N3.

I should add that I find the UI of the N3 far more user friendly than that of the J3.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #4,757 of 6,262
The N5mk2 is coming out soon. Looks to be a big improvement on the previous model. That's what I'll be holding out for.

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #4,759 of 6,262
Nov 9, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #4,761 of 6,262
I had the J3. There have been a lot of technological advances since it was introduced. There are far too many differences to attempt a comparison. The N3 has quickly become my favorite player. I use it with iems, buds and headphones. Unless you need the smaller form of the J3, I don't think you would be disappointed with the N3.

I should add that I find the UI of the N3 far more user friendly than that of the J3.

So is the N3 a better choice than fiio x5 iii and cayin i5?
I was also eyeing for the pioneer 30r and 300r but looks like there were issues with their jacks.

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #4,762 of 6,262
So is the N3 a better choice than fiio x5 iii and cayin i5?
I was also eyeing for the pioneer 30r and 300r but looks like there were issues with their jacks.

I was only commenting on the N3 in relation to the J3.

I do not have the other DAPs that you mention but I do know they are more expensive. I have seen an x5iii and it is very .large in comparison to the N3. It is android based and has WiFi. It all depends what you want. How much do you want to spend, How large or small you want the dap to be. Do you need two card slots or will one will be enough? Do you need it to have WiFi or is it unimportant to you. I specifically do NOT want WiFi on my daps but that is me... others want and/or need it.

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #4,764 of 6,262
Yeah, I had a duh moment. I am well aware of this player. All of the N and M and 3 and 5 and II get confusing after awhile. Sorry about that.

Haha. NP. All the DAP makers use similar naming schemes.

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #4,765 of 6,262
Since your on the subject of AAC I have a question for all of you. I've been thinking... I have an iPhone and a Cayin N3. The N3 supports high quality over AptX yet it can only send AptX but not receive it. (But it can receive the SBC codec) iPhones use AAC direct (over SBC) to somewhat get around this limitation. (So the AAC can be decoded at the headphone or speaker side over normal SBC Bluetooth.) The Cayin N3 supports AAC. Is it possible if I used something like Apple Music on my phone I could stream AAC to the N3? (And maybe even Bluetooth AptX out from there?)

Nov 10, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #4,766 of 6,262
Since your on the subject of AAC I have a question for all of you. I've been thinking... I have an iPhone and a Cayin N3. The N3 supports high quality over AptX yet it can only send AptX but not receive it. (But it can receive the SBC codec) iPhones use AAC direct (over SBC) to somewhat get around this limitation. (So the AAC can be decoded at the headphone or speaker side over normal SBC Bluetooth.) The Cayin N3 supports AAC. Is it possible if I used something like Apple Music on my phone I could stream AAC to the N3? (And maybe even Bluetooth AptX out from there?)

You are right. N3 can work with work with AAC files up to 48kHz/16bit . But since I haven't tried to stream AAC files to N3 from itunes via Bluetooth, I am still unsure about it. I would like to know if other users have this experience? N3 Bluetooth supports SBC encoding , so theoretically no matter MP3 or AAC or other formats will all being converted into SBC automatically.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 10, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #4,767 of 6,262
One thing I really like about the iPod software that I wish other players like the N3 could implement is that it remembers where you were when you're browsing the music folder. I often browse for another album to listen to while I'm near the end of the one I'm already listening to and with all the other players I own, once it goes back to the Now Playing screen after a few seconds, I have to navigate from the beginning again. With the iPod, it goes straight to the album or artist I was last looking at. Same with the settings, no need to scroll down and find the EQ again as it will go straight there if that's the last thing you were playing around with.

Having said that, I'm not unhappy with the N3 software; it's very easy to use, just not quite as polished.

Hi eaglesgift, your suggestion is practical and nice but such a memory will occupy N3's much resource.I will record it for the future product. Thank you!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 10, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #4,768 of 6,262
Hi eaglesgift, your suggestion is practical and nice but such a memory will occupy N3's much resource.I will record it for the future product. Thank you!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Cool, thanks. At the price I paid, I have no complaints about the N3 to be honest. It feels like you focused on sound quality, which is the most important thing. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the N3 to a friend.

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #4,769 of 6,262
X9wKCOS.jpg

Is there some way I can include the artist's name in the playlist listing (via File Browser)? For example: Sakamoto Maaya - 01 Loop

My M3U files are laid out like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:433,Megumi Nakajima, May'n - What 'bout my star?@Formo (Live)
..\Music\Megumi Nakajima, May'n\Unknown Album\What 'bout my star_@Formo (Live).mp3
#EXTINF:230,pippa - Ao no Ether
..\Music\pippa\Unknown Album\Ao no Ether.mp3
#EXTINF:281,pippa - What 'bout my star?@Formo
..\Music\pippa\Unknown Album\What 'bout my star_@Formo.mp3
#EXTINF:313,Ruka - And maybe they call this love
..\Music\Ruka\Unknown Album\And maybe they call this love.mp3
#EXTINF:332,Sakamoto Maaya - Loop (Live)
..\Music\Sakamoto Maaya\Unknown Album\Loop (Live).mp3
#EXTINF:241,Sakamoto Maaya - Yubiwa (Live)
..\Music\Sakamoto Maaya\Unknown Album\Yubiwa (Live).mp3​

Nov 10, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #4,770 of 6,262
X9wKCOS.jpg

Is there some way I can include the artist's name in the playlist listing (via File Browser)? For example: Sakamoto Maaya - 01 Loop

My M3U files are laid out like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:433,Megumi Nakajima, May'n - What 'bout my star?@Formo (Live)
..\Music\Megumi Nakajima, May'n\Unknown Album\What 'bout my star_@Formo (Live).mp3
#EXTINF:230,pippa - Ao no Ether
..\Music\pippa\Unknown Album\Ao no Ether.mp3
#EXTINF:281,pippa - What 'bout my star?@Formo
..\Music\pippa\Unknown Album\What 'bout my star_@Formo.mp3
#EXTINF:313,Ruka - And maybe they call this love
..\Music\Ruka\Unknown Album\And maybe they call this love.mp3
#EXTINF:332,Sakamoto Maaya - Loop (Live)
..\Music\Sakamoto Maaya\Unknown Album\Loop (Live).mp3
#EXTINF:241,Sakamoto Maaya - Yubiwa (Live)
..\Music\Sakamoto Maaya\Unknown Album\Yubiwa (Live).mp3​
Sure there is. If you have some tagging software like MP3tag. You just rename the track however you want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back