Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 8, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #4,727 of 6,262
Sry .. im new to head-fi. Il use the search function from next time . I was referring to use the n3 as portable dac/amp to connect with my pixel and listen to songs from spotify/tidal .i think that is not possible :frowning2:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so abrupt.

You can use the Search box to find terms in a single thread, or on the whole site.

Some people have found that the N3 does work as a USB DAC for their phone. But, as the Cayin rep mentioned, a regular OTG cable will allow the N3 to pull power from your phone. You'd need a custom cable, which doesn't have the 5V wire, or has one you can "switch off".

Edit: The Bluetooth SBC link works just fine for standard Spotify (I've used it from my Nexus 5), but will probably not sound as good for the high data rate Tidal streams. In the past, Google didn't pay for the Qualcomm aptX license, so have they changed their policy, and included aptX on the Pixel?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #4,728 of 6,262
Sorry, didn't mean to sound so abrupt.

You can use the Search box to find terms in a single thread, or on the whole site.

Some people have found that the N3 does work as a USB DAC for their phone. But, as the Cayin rep mentioned, a regular OTG cable will allow the N3 to pull power from your phone. You'd need a custom cable, which doesn't have the 5V wire, or has one you can "switch off".

Edit: The Bluetooth SBC link works just fine for standard Spotify (I've used it from my Nexus 5), but will probably not sound as good for the high data rate Tidal streams. In the past, Google didn't pay for the Qualcomm aptX license, so have they changed their policy, and included aptX on the Pixel?

I'm not sure about the aptx part of pixel . I took it for granted that pixel xl supports aptx . My bad

Also .. d u happen to know any special cable that works to use it as portable dac/amp . The search thread doesnt seem to show up from my phone unfortunately . Sry for troubling you

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #4,729 of 6,262
So, I have tried the N3 with a new cable - a good quality one - with no luck. It is still not working as a usb DAC. Have tried mutliple computers, my android phone all with no success. I have updated the device again, reset to factory settings and am about to give up. It is a shame, I really like this player, it sounds a lot better than my smart phone and was very reasonably priced. Unfortunately the usb DAC functionality is a deal breaker for me and unless anyone has any suggestions I will have to send the N3 back and start looking at alternatives.

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #4,730 of 6,262
So, I have tried the N3 with a new cable - a good quality one - with no luck. It is still not working as a usb DAC. Have tried mutliple computers, my android phone all with no success. I have updated the device again, reset to factory settings and am about to give up. It is a shame, I really like this player, it sounds a lot better than my smart phone and was very reasonably priced. Unfortunately the usb DAC functionality is a deal breaker for me and unless anyone has any suggestions I will have to send the N3 back and start looking at alternatives.
Do you have the DAC drivers installed on your computer? You may have answered this already, but I didn't go back and look. Also, you are switching the N3 to DAC in the settings? Again, if you answered these already, I apologize.

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #4,732 of 6,262

Do you have the DAC drivers installed on your computer? You may have answered this already, but I didn't go back and look. Also, you are switching the N3 to DAC in the settings? Again, if you answered these already, I apologize.

The latest Cayin USB Driver can be downloaded here - http://en.cayin.cn/download

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #4,733 of 6,262
I'm not sure about the aptx part of pixel . I took it for granted that pixel xl supports aptx . My bad

Also .. d u happen to know any special cable that works to use it as portable dac/amp . The search thread doesnt seem to show up from my phone unfortunately . Sry for troubling you

The Pixel has a USB-C connector, doesn't it?
I haven't looked for, or purchased any USB-C to USB-C OTG cables.
I do know that a regular 2-meter USB-A to USB-C cable, will allow my N3 to function as a USB DAC with my PC.
Neither of the Micro-USB to USB-C cables that I bought, will allow my N3 to function as a USB DAC with my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7, even when using USB Audio Player Pro.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #4,735 of 6,262
is it possible that when playing songs on shuffle to not get tracks to repeat? i seem to get tracks repeating a couple of times even in short listening sessions.
Hi, what is the N3 firmware now? Theoretically, V1.2 above firmwares have resolved this problem.Any chance you could update your firmware to the latest one?http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13516

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 8, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #4,737 of 6,262

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #4,738 of 6,262
Having compared one to the N3 and Shanling M1 recently, I'd have to disagree.
I went from a shanling M2 to a iPC and it was a noticeable downgrade (which I really wasn't expecting). It's sitting in my drawer now.
It's a screwed up piece of design from 2006 so it's not too surprising though.
Also I don't see how seeing measurements is supposed to invalidate what I said. It's the only objective way to judge these things.

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #4,739 of 6,262
Hi im on FW 2.0, if it will help ill try this but ive had this issue since getting the N3
Just consulted our engineer and he said it was ok before when he tested.You can try the latest firmware and reset N3 to see what happens.If the problem remains, please feel free to let me know again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back