Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 7, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #4,697 of 6,262
What I would really like to see is the ability to enter a Bluetooth pin! :) Just numeric is enough.

Well actually there are a few other things...
-The ability to access the EQ more easily. Ideally from the now playing page.
-Have the player remember current playlist queue and current song after power off.
-Possibly fix the delay it has with seeking in some MP3 files. I listen to very long MP3s. For some reason it can take several seconds to resume playing after fast forward some MP3s.

Hi Swaaye, thank you for your suggestions! I have talked to our engineers regarding your questions.Here are answers:
1.N3 current interface is very crowed so we don't take it into consideration now.But I will record your suggestions and raise it for the future products.
2.Remembering playlist queue will occupy most of inside resource and cause N3 running slow.Besides, the playlist queue memories will lost automatically when you change another TF cards.
3. I just performed several tests and found it indeed take several seconds to resume playing after fast forward some MP3s once. But it was ok after I did the second and third tests. What is your current firmware? Maybe you can upgrade its firmware if it is not the latest to see what happens.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 7, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #4,698 of 6,262
Glad to hear that you have resolved your problem finally.You are very smart and I indeed have learned some knowledge from your case.:grin:

So, my problem has returned :cry:. I have no idea why, I have not changed anything on my computer, but I can no longer use the N3 as a USB dac. My errors appear to be identical to the ones I posted previously - the same output from dmesg and the same output from using aplay to try to play a file. I am now clueless what could be going wrong.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Could it be that I have a faulty N3?

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #4,699 of 6,262
So, my problem has returned :cry:. I have no idea why, I have not changed anything on my computer, but I can no longer use the N3 as a USB dac. My errors appear to be identical to the ones I posted previously - the same output from dmesg and the same output from using aplay to try to play a file. I am now clueless what could be going wrong.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Could it be that I have a faulty N3?
Have you tried a different cable? The USB cable that ships with the N3 is poop.

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #4,701 of 6,262
Unfortunately I do not have another cable I can try - I will probably order one later today and give that a go.
The supplied cable is garbage. I have two N3's and both supplied cables can only be used for charging. They don't work for file transfers or for DAC use. I bought an Anker cable and all of my problems went away. I think it's BS that I had to buy another cable, but it doesn't appear that Cayin intends to change the supplied cable so we're kind of stuck.

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #4,702 of 6,262
The supplied cable is garbage. I have two N3's and both supplied cables can only be used for charging. They don't work for file transfers or for DAC use. I bought an Anker cable and all of my problems went away. I think it's BS that I had to buy another cable, but it doesn't appear that Cayin intends to change the supplied cable so we're kind of stuck.

I have ordered one, I hope this will sort out my issues. Will report back tomorrow once it has arrived.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #4,704 of 6,262
well.
I am pretty much done fussing with this... I barely have used it, always returning to my iPod Classic wheel with the GOOD chip in there.

Anybody interested in purchasing mine,(in PRISTINE condition), drop me a message.
I'm pretty ready to just sell it.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #4,705 of 6,262
well.
I am pretty much done fussing with this... I barely have used it, always returning to my iPod Classic wheel with the GOOD chip in there.

Anybody interested in purchasing mine,(in PRISTINE condition), drop me a message.

No one will want it if you put it like that...

Are you the one who had trouble trying to make album folders using your mac? I can understand that if you are used to using an iPod with iTunes that this would be different.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #4,706 of 6,262
well.

If I didn't already have two of them, I'd be all over it. Some times we just get used to certain things. I was a long time users of Sansa DAPs prior to trying new things and it was quite the adjustment. However, I've adapted over the years. You have to use something you're happy with in order to enjoy it. The N3 is a sweet little DAP so you shouldn't have a problem selling it. Good luck.

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #4,707 of 6,262
well.

lol iPC audio is crap compared to anything modern.
They can't even get a flat FR

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #4,708 of 6,262
Yeah, as soon as I discovered FLACs and HD audio, I never looked back towards Apple devices. Now I only listen to podcasts and streaming on my iPhone.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #4,709 of 6,262
I own nothing by Apple, yet I encode all of my flac files to AAC. It's extremely transparent, smaller file size, and I can't tell the difference between it, 320 mp3, or flac. I see no need to keep large files on a portable device since I'm not doing any critical listening while at the office or on the go. I buy flac and rip CDs to flac and that's where it ends. All my listening is on portable devices and by using AAC, I can keep more of my music with me. Truth be told, I could probably encode to something smaller, but I stick with formats that most DAPs/phones play nice with.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #4,710 of 6,262
I own nothing by Apple, yet I encode all of my flac files to AAC. It's extremely transparent, smaller file size, and I can't tell the difference between it, 320 mp3, or flac. I see no need to keep large files on a portable device since I'm not doing any critical listening while at the office or on the go. I buy flac and rip CDs to flac and that's where it ends. All my listening is on portable devices and by using AAC, I can keep more of my music with me. Truth be told, I could probably encode to something smaller, but I stick with formats that most DAPs/phones play nice with.
Personally I would never use AAC though.
Need efficiency? Vorbis or Opus
Need compatibility? mp3
Archive? FLAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back