Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 5, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #4,682 of 6,262
Having had both, you chose well. The M1 is a nice player but the N3 has a way better output stage.

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #4,684 of 6,262
Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #4,686 of 6,262
Hi! Sorry if this post violates any rules. I'm considering this player, but before I make my decision, I'd be really grateful if anyone who has used it could let me know if there are any usability issues? Things like file and tag sorting, sorting of multi-disc albums, playlists, repeat functions etc. - I'm coming from Rockbox so I'm a bit apprehensive. Thanks very much in advance! :)

Edit: I've heard that this player has trouble displaying special characters like é - is this still an issue? Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #4,687 of 6,262
Hi! Sorry if this post violates any rules. I'm considering this player, but before I make my decision, I'd be really grateful if anyone who has used it could let me know if there are any usability issues? Things like file and tag sorting, sorting of multi-disc albums, playlists, repeat functions etc. - I'm coming from Rockbox so I'm a bit apprehensive. Thanks very much in advance! :)

Edit: I've heard that this player has trouble displaying special characters like é - is this still an issue? Thanks!
The only thing that it has a problem with is multi disc albums. You will either need to tag the disc as a separate album because it doesn't read CD1,CD2, etc.. Or you can combine your multi disc albums into one and just make it track 1 through 25 (or whatever you need). You should be good to go as far as the rest of your concerns. It's no rockbox (I've had a few RB players), but it does what I need it to do.

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #4,688 of 6,262
The only thing that it has a problem with is multi disc albums. You will either need to tag the disc as a separate album because it doesn't read CD1,CD2, etc.. Or you can combine your multi disc albums into one and just make it track 1 through 25 (or whatever you need). You should be good to go as far as the rest of your concerns. It's no rockbox (I've had a few RB players), but it does what I need it to do.

It reads mine as CD 1, CD2, etc if I am in Folder view. If I am in the database then it gives me the first song from each disc then the 2nd etc.

I also need to use Folder view for various artists albums.. if I use artist view then I get artists with just the one song from the VA album. Ok if you were looking for a certain artists song but not if you want to play the whole album.

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #4,689 of 6,262
I've heard that this player has trouble displaying special characters like é - is this still an issue? Thanks!

I only have one album with a special character: Béla Fleck and the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. It does read the character but places that album at the bottom of the Bs so not quite exactly in alphabetical order. This is in folder view and in artist view.

edited to add: The title track is one that I use to see if a headphone or iem will reach deep into the sub bass. Around 2:24 it goes super low. Of course you still want the notes of the banjo to be in balance with that.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #4,690 of 6,262
QUOTE="zedosgatos, post: 13829343, member: 457138"]I know it's a safety measure but I always use it attached to my RS Intruder. every time I turn it on I have to change it to line out... Thanks for your answer. I'm going to check the firmware to see if there's something I can do about it. cheers.[/QUOTE]

I use my N3 exclusively with the RSA Intruder. I use a USB C to USB Mini cable instead of the line out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Left-Ang...o-Amplifier-/301996140546?hash=item46505f6802

Sounds fantastic. However, you are limited to the decoding capabilities of the Intruder. 16/44 only. But that is fine for me.

I would not have purchased N3 if I was looking to use it line out only.

Other option is, you can just increase the volume completely. It has been mentioned here that there really is no difference in the output path of the Line out and the Headphone out.
Here is the review model in action. From my review of the N3.
upload_2017-11-6_13-41-32.png

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #4,691 of 6,262
Damn that's pretty

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #4,693 of 6,262
So, it is fixed! I just updated the firmware - I was already on 2.1 but just ran the firmware installer again and everything works as expected!

Thanks to everyone that tried to help, I am so pleased it is finally working!

Glad to hear that you have resolved your problem finally.You are very smart and I indeed have learned some knowledge from your case.:grin:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 7, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #4,695 of 6,262
For the willing and patient among you :beyersmile:... here we have two MP3 files - recorded with my Olympus - of Sony NWZ-A818 and N3 skipping one track after another in the same folder. On N3 I can hear a click (?) that sometimes occurs between one track and another.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4z12bfzm3r7sji/N3 skipping.MP3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wev267214b3aas/Sony skipping.MP3?dl=0

P.s.: the first one who guesses all the titles of the songs wins a Sicilian Cassata!

Hi, sorry that I cannot open dropbox from China Mainland.Any chance you could send it to my email box: community@cayin.cn again?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back