Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 14, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #4,381 of 6,262
Are you using the 4.0 drivers? <search this thread, @Andykong posted them. not sure if they made it to Cayin's site>. Supposedly they fix some Win 10 issues. I have a completely different problem, but since yours doesn't occur on the Mac, I'd guess it has to be a driver problem

Thanks for the suggestion, though I just figured out what the problem was (I’m going to get the 4.0 drivers now that you mentioned it, though).

As it turns out, the cable I got was faulty. I managed to find another type c cable, and had absolutely no issues with that, in both file transfer and DAC modes.

I have never had this sort of thing happen because of a cable (it’s even digital!) so this was an interesting experience for sure.

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #4,382 of 6,262
Thanks for the suggestion, though I just figured out what the problem was (I’m going to get the 4.0 drivers now that you mentioned it, though).

As it turns out, the cable I got was faulty. I managed to find another type c cable, and had absolutely no issues with that, in both file transfer and DAC modes.

I have never had this sort of thing happen because of a cable (it’s even digital!) so this was an interesting experience for sure.
Many of us had problems that went away with a new cable

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #4,383 of 6,262
I love how versetile this thing. Bluetooth aptx and hiby music is my fave features, cant live without it now..
I paired it with Sony XBA A3 and ATH IM01..
And also with my Gt1000 multimedia speaker. (it can received bt, aux line in, and PC/Left Right to aux out Cable).

These is my finding with 2.1 firmware :
1. Somehow line Out N3 lack of power than PC MODE on my active Speaker.
2. DAP turn off itself when near smartphone.
3. I think Font size selection will help many of us.. I have good eyes but still feel font display is too small.
4. I Cant play folder only, always jump to next folder. I dont know if im missing something, but folder "playlist" is my favorit on the go from my previous DAP.

Thank you

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #4,385 of 6,262
CAUTION:
Hiby Link will remember your previous Volume,. So if u use N3 headphone out (connected to hiby link) on speaker with Vol 100 and then you moving to IEM or Headphone and set your volume lower on N3.. (still connected with hiby link) and you change volume again in your smartphone it will remember previous Vol in my case 100..

Thankfully it only slow intro, so doesnt make my ears hurt..

Tested: mi5 (android 7.0)

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #4,386 of 6,262
3. I think Font size selection will help many of us.. I have good eyes but still feel font display is too small.
4. I Cant play folder only, always jump to next folder. I dont know if im missing something, but folder "playlist" is my favorit on the go from my previous DAP.

I agree on the font size, especially since my reading prescription is not correct at the moment. I end up using a magnifying glass sometimes.

There is an option in the settings called Folder operation. Mine was on. I set it to off and rebooted the dap (just in case it might be necessary) and now the album stops at the end. If I want to burn in something I will just turn that back on so the the music will continue on as before.

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #4,387 of 6,262
I love how versetile this thing. Bluetooth aptx and hiby music is my fave features, cant live without it now..
I paired it with Sony XBA A3 and ATH IM01..
And also with my Gt1000 multimedia speaker. (it can received bt, aux line in, and PC/Left Right to aux out Cable).

These is my finding with 2.1 firmware :
1. Somehow line Out N3 lack of power than PC MODE on my active Speaker.
2. DAP turn off itself when near smartphone.

Thank you

2. is a surprised, can you explained this in more detail? I hope there is something we can do to clarify this problem.

The line out of N3 is rated at 1Vrms only, it is fairly low when compare to other desktop audio equipment as the norm is 2Vrms.

The function is called Play Through Folder, you can turn it off at System Setup Menu, just set Folder Operation to OFF and you won't jump to next folder again.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 15, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #4,388 of 6,262
. is a surprised, can you explained this in more detail? I hope there is something we can do to clarify this problem.

The line out of N3 is rated at 1Vrms only, it is fairly low when compare to other desktop audio equipment as the norm is 2Vrms.

The function is called Play Through Folder, you can turn it off at System Setup Menu, just set Folder Operation to OFF and you won't jump to next folder again.

N3 set to Bluetooth on, aptx On, hiby link On, and using wired earphone (XBA A3),My Xiaomi Mi5 signal 4G, Bluetooth On, hiby music On, i put it side by side.

Thank you for Line Out clarification

Great! , and its possible to change the font size? sometimes I feel akward jump to N3 after using smartphone or vici versa.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #4,389 of 6,262
CAUTION:
Hiby Link will remember your previous Volume,. So if u use N3 headphone out (connected to hiby link) on speaker with Vol 100 and then you moving to IEM or Headphone and set your volume lower on N3.. (still connected with hiby link) and you change volume again in your smartphone it will remember previous Vol in my case 100..

Thankfully it only slow intro, so doesnt make my ears hurt..

Tested: mi5 (android 7.0)

Hmm, HiByLink has no way of knowing of volume changes made directly on the device, so in this case it is better to do the volume lowering also via HiByLink when you change from connecting to speaker to connecting headphones. :sweat_smile:

In the future we will see about making volume adjustments via +/- commands rather than absolute volume numbers :thinking:

Best regards,
Joseph Yeung
HiByMusic Product Manager

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 15, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #4,390 of 6,262
I agree on the font size, especially since my reading prescription is not correct at the moment. I end up using a magnifying glass sometimes.

There is an option in the settings called Folder operation. Mine was on. I set it to off and rebooted the dap (just in case it might be necessary) and now the album stops at the end. If I want to burn in something I will just turn that back on so the the music will continue on as before.

I hope Andy can push font size feature on future update.. It will win many costumer on all age

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,392 of 6,262
Hmm, HiByLink has no way of knowing of volume changes made directly on the device, so in this case it is better to do the volume lowering also via HiByLink when you change from connecting to speaker to connecting headphones. :sweat_smile:

In the future we will see about making volume adjustments via +/- commands rather than absolute volume numbers :thinking:

Best regards,
Joseph Yeung

Its already with +/- button adjustment on my android phone , 100 is in N3, and it jump directly to those level.. I think its not a bug, but if you can sync volume level directly it will help.
Edit: I mean if you change Vol on N3 it will change Vol on hiby music. Both way adjustment, thank you

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #4,393 of 6,262
Hi, can I pair the N3 with ha2-se via usb out ? so the N3 will be used as a transport only.
Yes, one can use N3 as transport connected with HA2SE. Only problem is that HA2SE battery charges from N3 and there is no simple way to stop that happening. One way is to have a cable which has two USB ports on N3 side (with power and data lines split between them) and one on HA2SE side. one port will be connected to N3 and other to a power bank for charging HA2SE.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #4,394 of 6,262

Best regards,
Joseph Yeung
Hi Joseph - any chance you could tell us when HiBy Link will be available for iOS. We've been waiting patiently for months! Thank you.

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,395 of 6,262
Yes, one can use N3 as transport connected with HA2SE. Only problem is that HA2SE battery charges from N3 and there is no simple way to stop that happening. One way is to have a cable which has two USB ports on N3 side (with power and data lines split between them) and one on HA2SE side. one port will be connected to N3 and other to a power bank for charging HA2SE.

I have the HA2SE which I would like to use with my N3 and Shanling M1 but the HA2SE just drains their batteries. Can you expand on your solution or preferably draw a diagra as I don't understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back