Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,896 of 6,262
yep... i think i'll formate the sd card one of these days (to say the truth i took this one that was in my Blackberry first, didn't formate it as it was already ex-Fat, just deleted anything but the music...)
I read somewhere that Mac put in the cache memory the transfered files (maybe it explains the AC/DC Madness thing... my hackintosh sometimes do strange things when it comes to usb port too... as you know i'm not an expert so maybe i'm just rambling )
By folder browsing what do you mean exactly? Organising by folders and not just throwing files on a card?

So to see the extent of Madness:
i take an ACDC file (listen to it, it's Highway to Hell), i put it on the N3 and listen to it (it's House of fun by Madness), i re-transfer this file to my computer and it's now House of fun playing with Highway to Hell's tag.
I found a way to transform ACDC to Madness!!!
2 things:
1- the computer is choke with the Madness transfers i tried yesterday (but i cleared the caches...)
2- the N3 is choked with the Madness transfers.

I stop annoying you all with this (this time i swear), i'll formate later.
Thanks anyway for the help :relaxed:
Complete Madness :ksc75smile:

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #2,897 of 6,262
Complete Madness :ksc75smile:
Absolutely.jpg

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,898 of 6,262
I read somewhere that Mac put in the cache memory the transfered files (maybe it explains the AC/DC Madness thing...

Yeah, this does happen on Macs. I don't have a Mac, so I don't remember the exact details (cause, fix, etc). But it has been discussed a number of times on the X3 Rockbox thread, so if you're curious just search within that thread.

By folder browsing what do you mean exactly? Organising by folders and not just throwing files on a card

'Folder browsing' would be to get to your music on the player by navigating to the physical folder structure and selecting music that way, vs selecting music via the file tags. So for example, if your folder structure on the card is:

Music / Artist / Album/ Song

And an example of a song is:

Music / Billy Bob Ding Dong / Billy Bob Ding Dong's Greatest Hits / Jammy Jam Party

And let's say you wanted to listen to Jammy Jam Party, you would have to browse down through the whole folder structure to select the song.

Using the file tags is much more convenient, because you could just use the Song function and find Jammy Jam Party, or search by artist, or album, etc. The file tag method is how iTunes is set up.

But while this is convenient,there are way more problems with the file tag method because every DAP handles the tags a little differently. And generally your tags have to be absolutely squeaky clean to prevent problems. You never know what in your tags will work on one player but choke another. It could be the tag version, embedded comments, special characters, or a host of other pitfalls.

That's why many people just keep it simple and use folder browsing. Works pretty much every time, and you don't have to redo your tags on thousands or tens of thousands of files every time you get a new DAP.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2,899 of 6,262
Yeah, this does happen on Macs. I don't have a Mac, so I don't remember the exact details (cause, fix, etc). But it has been discussed a number of times on the X3 Rockbox thread, so if you're curious just search within that thread.

'Folder browsing' would be to get to your music on the player by navigating to the physical folder structure and selecting music that way, vs selecting music via the file tags. So for example, if your folder structure on the card is:

Music / Artist / Album/ Song

And an example of a song is:

Music / Billy Bob Ding Dong / Billy Bob Ding Dong's Greatest Hits / Jammy Jam Party

And let's say you wanted to listen to Jammy Jam Party, you would have to browse down through the whole folder structure to select the song.

Using the file tags is much more convenient, because you could just use the Song function and find Jammy Jam Party, or search by artist, or album, etc. The file tag method is how iTunes is set up.

But while this is convenient,there are way more problems with the file tag method because every DAP handles the tags a little differently. And generally your tags have to be absolutely squeaky clean to prevent problems. You never know what in your tags will work on one player but choke another. It could be the tag version, embedded comments, special characters, or a host of other pitfalls.

That's why many people just keep it simple and use folder browsing. Works pretty much every time.
Maybe i just read the cache thing on the rockbox thread, i don't remember my serendipity took me very far (even to a "how to clear the cache on your mac" video on youtube...).
Thanks for the clarification/folder browsing (as with every new DAP i am currently using the songs folder in random just to listen to the most various files i can, but i get the point /folder browsing interest and keep it in mind)

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,902 of 6,262
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #2,904 of 6,262
Cayiin has launched a new Type-C to 3.5mm Coaxial Cable, its specially designed for stacking up Cayin's Type-C ready DAP with portable DAC/amp. Please be reminded once again that Cayin has embedded S/PDIF bitstream into the Type-C port so this cable can only be used with our in-house designed Type_C port, it will not "generate" coaxial signal form standard Type-C connectors in other mobile phones or DAP.
  • High performance low loss high bandwidth 75ohmn cable
  • Properly shielded for interference free connection
  • Gold planted 3.5mm TRS connector
  • Can work with DAC with 3.5mm Coaxial input
  • Full length 15cm, flexible cable structure with angled connectors, ideal for portable stacking

TypeC to 3.5mm Sales Guide _01.jpg
TypeC to 3.5mm Sales Guide _02.jpg
TypeC to 3.5mm Sales Guide _03.jpg
TypeC to 3.5mm Sales Guide _04.jpg
TypeC to 3.5mm Sales Guide _05.jpg
TypeC to 3.5mm Sales Guide _06.jpg

http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=108

Availability from international dealers:
https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/cayin/products/cayin-cs-40tc35-cable

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 10, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #2,906 of 6,262
15 hours with the cayin have been a pleasure. I listen mostly mp3 and church podcast. I cant give technical comment but i can tell easily tell that this is better than my sansa clip. Im an amarteur who cant tell the difference between my 700 dollar home setup vs 5000 dollar setup. I feel there are potential if i upgrade my kz zst to somthing in the same price range as the n3.

Im curious if the battery is replaceable? How to open the battery compartment?

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2,908 of 6,262
Hello again,

Anyone have issues transferring files via the supplied is cable. Yesterday evening I wanted to add a couple albums to the N 3 and everything seemed fine on my PC until I copied the files I wanted and tried to paste them on my SD card in the N3. All I got was the window that shows the files copying with the percentage status bar, but it stayed at 0% and never changed. I left it hooked up like this for a few minutes, but it stayed at 0%. I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 if that matters. I ended up taking the card out of the N3 and putting the files on there, but I'd rather be able to just plug it in via the cable rather removing the card each time.

Thanks

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #2,909 of 6,262
Hello again,

Anyone have issues transferring files via the supplied is cable. Yesterday evening I wanted to add a couple albums to the N 3 and everything seemed fine on my PC until I copied the files I wanted and tried to paste them on my SD card in the N3. All I got was the window that shows the files copying with the percentage status bar, but it stayed at 0% and never changed. I left it hooked up like this for a few minutes, but it stayed at 0%. I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 if that matters. I ended up taking the card out of the N3 and putting the files on there, but I'd rather be able to just plug it in via the cable rather removing the card each time.

Thanks

I've only ever take out the card and use a card reader. Never seen the attraction to pug and copy.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #2,910 of 6,262
Hello again,

Thanks
The USB 2.0 copy via the unit is very slow...best to take the card out and use a USB 3.0 card reader. With that said, there seems to be a consensus that the included white USB cable is junk. I've never had any issues with mine, but the only thing I've used it for is charging when not at my desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back