Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 8, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2,866 of 6,262
A quick respond on the Rockbox discussion.

We are working with HiBy Music closely and at this moment, we didn't plan to develop a formal working relationship with RockBox or any other oversee software team. we are running behind schedule when HiBy is less then 100 miles away from us, speaking the same language and working under the same time zone, bring in another software partner will inevitably complicate the existing communication and testing procedures.

We certainly have no problem if existing users will commit themselves to lead a Rockbox project for N3. We appreciate the contribution from @XVortex and will treat all user involvement in software enhancement at the same level. I can provide limited support on personal based but I can't bring in Cayin or HiBy Music formally for similar projects.

On the other hand, any software-modded N3 must be flashed back to factory firmware before our distributor/dealer will accept the unit for warranty or repair, so please make sure you have the roll back option before you commit to any software modification project.

Last but not least, Cayin must emphasis that while we are trying our best to bug fix and enhance our N3 DAP, we cannot accommodate requests based on personal preference, and cosmetic-based suggestions will have lower priority over bug fix and function/feature based requirements. I know this is a statement that might make some users unhappy, we simply want to play honest and realistic while continuing our effort to improve our products.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 8, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,867 of 6,262
I have the same issue today, i put some files (flac) on the sd card, it shows up on the sd card.
Once i put it on the N3, the folder is there but empty.
I tried on my hackintosh via 2 different usb cables, with a sd card reader, i even put the sd card in an android tablet to load the files and then transferred it in my N3...same issue
The flac files play just fine on my computer, but don't play on the tablet, nor appear on the N3.
Any idea? am i doing something wrong? it was working fine the first time i transferred some files, only thing that happened in between is the firmware upgrade to V.2.

What happens if you shorten the file extension from .flac to .fla? In other words, remove the 'c' at the end.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #2,869 of 6,262

We are working with HiBy Music closely and at this moment, we didn't plan to develop a formal working relationship with RockBox or any other oversee software team. we are running behind schedule when HiBy is less then 100 miles away from us, speaking the same language and working under the same time zone, bring in another software partner will inevitably complicate the existing communication and testing procedures.

We certainly have no problem if existing users will commit themselves to lead a Rockbox project for N3. We appreciate the contribution from @XVortex and will treat all user involvement in software enhancement at the same level. I can provide limited support on personal based but I can't bring in Cayin or HiBy Music formally for similar projects.

On the other hand, any software-modded N3 must be flashed back to factory firmware before our distributor/dealer will accept the unit for warranty or repair, so please make sure you have the roll back option before you commit to any software modification project.

Last but not least, Cayin must emphasis that while we are trying our best to bug fix and enhance our N3 DAP, we cannot accommodate requests based on personal preference, and cosmetic-based suggestions will have lower priority over bug fix and function/feature based requirements. I know this is a statement that might make some users unhappy, we simply want to play honest and realistic while continuing our effort to improve our products.
First of all, thank you for taking the time to take in consideration the consumers' discussions and giving the good advice to avoid any problem.
Rockbox is something that may or may not come, it doesn't alter my love for this N3 that is truly a great DAP at that price and with all those functions (and great job with Hiby, very useful bluetooth integration).
It would be the cherry on a wonderful cake (but if you could give the user the possibility to change the font size on the cake, i could read what i'm eating :laughing: )

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #2,870 of 6,262
What happens if you shorten the file extension from .flac to .fla? In other words, remove the 'c' at the end.
well i tried with .fla and it doesn't show on the N3 (on my computer the file icon was "audio" in .flac and it becomes a black screen with exec written in green in .fla)
Tried .mp3 too but doesn't show even after updating the library.
Are there any limit with the N3 (5100 files on it at the moment on a 128gb sd card with 50GB free)?
i don't understand and it's the second flac album that doesn't load on it.
Altered files maybe?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #2,871 of 6,262
Perhaps you guys that have had your N3 a little longer than me can shed some light on something for me. I went to find an album to listen to (Slipknot - .5 The Gray Chapter). However, this album did not show up using file browsing. Hooked the N3 up to my PC and the file and all of the tracks are showing up. Disconnect the N3 and the album is gone again. All other albums are showing within this folder. Hook the N3 back up to my PC and the file is there again. I delete it and put it back on the card with the same results of not showing on the N3. I hook it back up to my PC again and remove the .5 part from the folder name and it shows up and plays on the N3. I don't know if this is a known issue/bug or even if anyone else has had this happen to them. I don't have a lot of albums that start with a ( . ), but wonder if that was the problem?

Thanks

ETA: I went through and checked a couple other albums that have a number as the first character in the title and they all show up which leads me to believe the ( . ) is the culprit, but that seems weird to me.

I apologize for all the questions. I've been using FiiO's (X1, X1II, X3II, & X5II) for the past couple years for reference and never had this issue with them.

Maybe it's because it's a Linux-based operating system? :blush: LOL. Seriously, under UNIX and UNIX-derivatives like Linux, any file or directory with a leading period is "hidden."

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #2,875 of 6,262
never tried that, never even knew that it could be a solution.
Will try.

It's a common flac file trick on many ChiFi players. Not saying it will work on the N3, but it's something easy to try.

Update: I saw you tried it to no avail.

Anyways, I agree with riffrafff - anything that starts with '.' on Linux is asking for trouble, because leading '.' means it's hidden. So my money's on that.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #2,876 of 6,262
Jul 8, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,877 of 6,262

Andy, your responsiveness has been phenomenal . While it is nice that you are open to suggestions, it feels sometimes that some here feel they are part of the design team. I admire your patience

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #2,878 of 6,262
I have the same issue today, i put some files (flac) on the sd card, it shows up on the sd card.
Once i put it on the N3, the folder is there but empty.
I tried on my hackintosh via 2 different usb cables, with a sd card reader, i even put the sd card in an android tablet to load the files and then transferred it in my N3...same issue
The flac files play just fine on my computer, but don't play on the tablet, nor appear on the N3.
Any idea? am i doing something wrong? it was working fine the first time i transferred some files, only thing that happened in between is the firmware upgrade to V.2.

Same thing happening here with at least 2 different single file albums.

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,879 of 6,262
Perhaps you guys that have had your N3 a little longer than me can shed some light on something for me. I went to find an album to listen to (Slipknot - .5 The Gray Chapter). However, this album did not show up using file browsing. Hooked the N3 up to my PC and the file and all of the tracks are showing up. Disconnect the N3 and the album is gone again. All other albums are showing within this folder. Hook the N3 back up to my PC and the file is there again. I delete it and put it back on the card with the same results of not showing on the N3. I hook it back up to my PC again and remove the .5 part from the folder name and it shows up and plays on the N3. I don't know if this is a known issue/bug or even if anyone else has had this happen to them. I don't have a lot of albums that start with a ( . ), but wonder if that was the problem?

Thanks

ETA: I went through and checked a couple other albums that have a number as the first character in the title and they all show up which leads me to believe the ( . ) is the culprit, but that seems weird to me.

I apologize for all the questions. I've been using FiiO's (X1, X1II, X3II, & X5II) for the past couple years for reference and never had this issue with them.
Are you not seeing the files in the song list (Music category tab), or in folder view? I only use folder view and haven't run into any issues yet.

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #2,880 of 6,262

Thanks Andy, your participation here is one of the reasons I chose a Cayin DAP, as I'm sure others have as well. Also completely respect and appreciate your prioritizing bug fixes etc over aesthetics while being open to user feedback on both. My only suggestion would be that, if resources are thin, give users a simple software tool to easily make the minor changes that they want to improve their own experience of the N3. You've done it before with the N5, and the N3 uses a very similar technology platform. That way users can get off your back about cosmetic changes and you can get on with the business of improving the N3 (and your many other great products).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back