Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #2,851 of 6,262

It could be a few things:

1. Make sure to check the 'Unknown Sources' box in security settings. You said you already did this, so it's likely 2, 3, or 4.

2. A corrupt APK file (or damaged in some way) or a version incompatibility, either of which would cause an error message. Make sure the app is designed to run on Marshmallow. Assuming it is, download it again in case it was corrupt/damaged the 1st time you downloaded it.

3. If you have any light filters or screen-dimming apps (Luxlite, Twilight, Bluelight Ray, BLFilter, etc) disable/turn them off temporarily for the duration of your app install. Android disallows installing while a filter is active. Some screen dimming apps work by overlaying the whole screen with a translucent window, and letting touch events pass through to the activity below, but for security reasons, you can't interact with system dialogs (such as a package installer) through another activity. Android should tell you that, but it doesn't.

4. There's some transparent activity running, capturing your touch events. Could be a legit app you installed, could be something nefarious. Closed all open apps, then the install button should become responsive.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #2,852 of 6,262
It could be a few things:

1. Make sure to check the 'Unknown Sources' box in security settings. You said you already did this, so it's likely 2, 3, or 4.

2. A corrupt APK file (or damaged in some way) or a version incompatibility, either of which would cause an error message. Make sure the app is designed to run on Marshmallow. Assuming it is, download it again in case it was corrupt/damaged the 1st time you downloaded it.

3. If you have any light filters or screen-dimming apps (Luxlite, Twilight, Bluelight Ray, BLFilter, etc) disable/turn them off temporarily for the duration of your app install. Android disallows installing while a filter is active. Some screen dimming apps work by overlaying the whole screen with a translucent window, and letting touch events pass through to the activity below, but for security reasons, you can't interact with system dialogs (such as a package installer) through another activity. Android should tell you that, but it doesn't.

4. There's some transparent activity running, capturing your touch events. Could be a legit app you installed, could be something nefarious. Closed all open apps, then the install button should become responsive.

Hope that helps.
I've done all of the above. I can find the fie on my phone, but when I click on it I get the message, "Cannot open file." It does not matter where I place the file in my phone I get the same message. I've tried downloading it direct to my phone with the same results. I'm not even seeing an install button that you refer to in number 4. All I ever see is just the file with a small android icon next to it and that's it. It's getting a little frustrating to say the least.

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,854 of 6,262
I've done all of the above. I can find the fie on my phone, but when I click on it I get the message, "Cannot open file." It does not matter where I place the file in my phone I get the same message. I've tried downloading it direct to my phone with the same results. I'm not even seeing an install button that you refer to in number 4. All I ever see is just the file with a small android icon next to it and that's it. It's getting a little frustrating to say the least.

did you extract the files first or are trying to open the zip/rar?

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,857 of 6,262
Maybe you weren't standing on 1 leg while wearing your chicken hat?
I'm sure it was something I was missing, but I'm not sure what it was. I don't have a lot of experience loading apps that aren't from the play store so there's that too. Either way, my N3 just arrived and I updated fw to the latest version. I haven't played with the High link yet, but will before the day is over. I'm just listening to some tunes and tweaking settings to my liking at the moment. So far I like what I'm hearing. I've been using FiiO DAPs pretty exclusively for the past couple years so I'm new to Cabin so we'll see how it goes.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #2,858 of 6,262
Let's say i'd like to use the coaxial line out from my N3 with a Xduoo XD-5, i would need a USB Type-C to 3.5mm jack, like this one in the Mojo picture, right?
Cayin-i5_3.jpg

w211xw.jpg

Does anybody have a good address for that kind of cable?
I get your point, and can agree with you to a certain amount but i find you way too dramatic when you see a future of thin firmwares because of Rockbox possible dual-boot.
Did Ibasso, Sony, Apple, Sandisk change anything (for the worse) in their approach to designing a firmware because of Rockbox?
Let see it as a possible hack (with a lot of settings- sometimes totally useless- to tinker with) that would not affect Cayin and the great job they did with the N3.
Some other DAPs may be more in need of a rockbox-treatment but i am still very curious to see what could be done with such a good little DAP as the N3 once they put their hands on it (and not only for the font-size, scrolling speed etc. that could be implemented by the Cayin team, for example: am i the only one that can't read the battery % ?)
I am for more choices rather than depending on only one: i bought the n3 and i am very happy with the stock firmware that can still be implemented, but if someone comes and makes it even funnier (but not as polished as the stock firmware) why should we be worried? Only few people would use it, and they would use it in parallel with the N3 original fw.
When i talked about free inspiration from rockbox for the Cayin team, i was really thinking about Cydia and the way they implemented some features that were to become solid feature in the next iteration of the iOS (and sometimes years after...), i don't think Cayin has to fear to be put "between a rock and a hard place": Cayin fw is neat and very well conceived, Rockbox would be for the "young (and less young- i don't kid myself-) and restless" that don't care if it's a little messier

https://www.facebook.com/CayinAudio/posts/302131360198097

Is this what you are looking for? :grin:

He's looking for USB-C to 3.5mm, so the Cayin cable would not work.

@BroncoVA, if you search Aliexpress, ebay, etc for "USB type-c 3.5mm", you'll see a number of them (ignore the female 3.5mm ones obviously).

Thank you very much!
i didn't think about Aliexpress!
Found it!
f2vhn6.png
[/IMG]
f2vhn6.png

I'll first find a good price on the Xduoo XD5 and then go to Ali :thumbsup:

Be very careful, most, if not all, of the cables are build to output analogue signal from the Type C connector that support those so-called Type-C headphones, please ask the seller for what exactly were these 3.5mm connector are designated for?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 8, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,860 of 6,262
https://www.facebook.com/CayinAudio/posts/302131360198097

Is this what you are looking for? :grin:

Be very careful, most, if not all, of the cables are build to output analogue signal from the Type C connector that support those so-called Type-C headphones, please ask the seller for what exactly were these 3.5mm connector are designated for?
YES!
exactly what i'll need once i have the Xduoo xd-5.
Thank you for the tip regarding the type-C connector, now the question is where i'll be able to find it...
i looked on the spanish distributor site but obviously it's not available yet....

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #2,863 of 6,262
Perhaps you guys that have had your N3 a little longer than me can shed some light on something for me. I went to find an album to listen to (Slipknot - .5 The Gray Chapter). However, this album did not show up using file browsing. Hooked the N3 up to my PC and the file and all of the tracks are showing up. Disconnect the N3 and the album is gone again. All other albums are showing within this folder. Hook the N3 back up to my PC and the file is there again. I delete it and put it back on the card with the same results of not showing on the N3. I hook it back up to my PC again and remove the .5 part from the folder name and it shows up and plays on the N3. I don't know if this is a known issue/bug or even if anyone else has had this happen to them. I don't have a lot of albums that start with a ( . ), but wonder if that was the problem?

Thanks

ETA: I went through and checked a couple other albums that have a number as the first character in the title and they all show up which leads me to believe the ( . ) is the culprit, but that seems weird to me.

I apologize for all the questions. I've been using FiiO's (X1, X1II, X3II, & X5II) for the past couple years for reference and never had this issue with them.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #2,864 of 6,262
Perhaps you guys that have had your N3 a little longer than me can shed some light on something for me. I went to find an album to listen to (Slipknot - .5 The Gray Chapter). However, this album did not show up using file browsing. Hooked the N3 up to my PC and the file and all of the tracks are showing up. Disconnect the N3 and the album is gone again. All other albums are showing within this folder. Hook the N3 back up to my PC and the file is there again. I delete it and put it back on the card with the same results of not showing on the N3. I hook it back up to my PC again and remove the .5 part from the folder name and it shows up and plays on the N3. I don't know if this is a known issue/bug or even if anyone else has had this happen to them. I don't have a lot of albums that start with a ( . ), but wonder if that was the problem?

Thanks
I have the same issue today, i put some files (flac) on the sd card, it shows up on the sd card.
Once i put it on the N3, the folder is there but empty.
I tried on my hackintosh via 2 different usb cables, with a sd card reader, i even put the sd card in an android tablet to load the files and then transferred it in my N3...same issue
The flac files play just fine on my computer, but don't play on the tablet, nor appear on the N3.
Any idea? am i doing something wrong? it was working fine the first time i transferred some files, only thing that happened in between is the firmware upgrade to V.2.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2,865 of 6,262
Does anyone own the red version with the gray leather case?

Was wondering how they look together- might swap the kinda boring black one out.

Here you go:

upload_2017-7-8_16-27-25.png

upload_2017-7-8_16-27-52.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back