Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 7, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #2,836 of 6,262
Since there is no internal memory there is no need for the pc to recognize the N3. I think that you will find that the Cayin connector has less pins than your other cable does, Cayin will be missing the data pins. It only charges.

Um, there's an option in System Settings for DAC/USB. In USB mode, the N3 is recognized as a drive, as long as there's a microSD card in it. And I'm pretty sure it was recognized as an external DAC, too, both modes with the original Cayin cable. I'll have to on the DAC part (it's been awhile since I tried it), but I know the N3 works as a USB drive.

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,837 of 6,262
All I've done is download the beta app from Cayin and copied the file to my phone. I've allowed my phone to install apps from outside sources. When I attempt to install the app on my phone, I get the message that it cannot be installed. That's as far as I've got. Never seen the screen you you attached in your message.

It sounds like you phone is set to not allow unknown source apps to be installed. You need to change the preferences to allow for the install.

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #2,838 of 6,262
Um, there's an option in System Settings for DAC/USB. In USB mode, the N3 is recognized as a drive, as long as there's a microSD card in it. And I'm pretty sure it was recognized as an external DAC, too, both modes with the original Cayin cable. I'll have to on the DAC part (it's been awhile since I tried it), but I know the N3 works as a USB drive.

Hey that is possible. I've never really charged from a PC.

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #2,840 of 6,262

I've put a 64GB micro SD card in the Cayin...and with other type-c cable i used my N3 in USB Mode and in DAC Mode, with success. With the Cayin Type-C Cable instead, i can only charge my N3. I'd like to know if the cayin cable is only for charging or my cable is faulty

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #2,841 of 6,262

Yep, I just checked. My original Cayin cable that came with my N3 works for both a USB-drive and an external DAC. The DAC is recognized as "Cayin N3 Multichannel."

That's on Linux. Windoze users will likely have to download (yet) another driver. LOL.

And, of course, it charges from the computer in either mode.

Jul 7, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,843 of 6,262
I'm giving up trying to install the app tonight. I tried other apps to open the file to install it with no luck. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but the Hiby Link isn't going so smooth for me.

What version of Android are you currently running?

Jul 7, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #2,844 of 6,262
Yep, I just checked. My original Cayin cable that came with my N3 works for both a USB-drive and an external DAC. The DAC is recognized as "Cayin N3 Multichannel."

That's on Linux. Windoze users will likely have to download (yet) another driver. LOL.

And, of course, it charges from the computer in either mode.
I am running Windows 10 and Cayin cable works fine in DAC MODE

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #2,845 of 6,262
Hello all
I just received N3 - It's a great sounding little player.
Am having trouble updating to v2.0
None of my cards are making a difference- the player says "no file found".
I see the file/s on the card: N3 V2.0+Hibymusic_3.0, and the subs: Hibymusic_3.0.0_build_5313_Beta.apk, N3 V2.0.rar

First I used Safari with no "auto open downloaded files", then parallels>windows>explorer download and put the files on 2 different cards ( samsung & sandisk both are playing music on the N3)

When I try the 2nd option it says "update failure"
I sure would appreciate any help

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #2,846 of 6,262
Hello all
I just received N3 - It's a great sounding little player.
Am having trouble updating to v2.0
None of my cards are making a difference- the player says "no file found".
I see the file/s on the card: N3 V2.0+Hibymusic_3.0, and the subs: Hibymusic_3.0.0_build_5313_Beta.apk, N3 V2.0.rar

First I used Safari with no "auto open downloaded files", then parallels>windows>explorer download and put the files on 2 different cards ( samsung & sandisk both are playing music on the N3)

When I try the 2nd option it says "update failure"
I sure would appreciate any help
Hi - you need to extract the update.upt file from the rar file. Make sure the update.upt file is in the root directory if your mSD card and try again.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #2,847 of 6,262
I've put a 64GB micro SD card in the Cayin...and with other type-c cable i used my N3 in USB Mode and in DAC Mode, with success. With the Cayin Type-C Cable instead, i can only charge my N3. I'd like to know if the cayin cable is only for charging or my cable is faulty
The Cayin cable is definitely suitable for charging AND data. But - it has issues. I'm in a Mac (so don't need drivers) but depending on which of my Macs I connect to (and what time of day, and what the weather is doing...) it'll either work straight away and stay connected, or not load the mSD card, or load it and then disconnect it, or not even go into USB mode. Others have used third party cables (Anker for example) with no issues, so the Cayin cable definitely has issues. I believe Cayin's implementation of USB-C is not 100% standard (they've added s/pdif capability for example) so it could be the stock cable pins aren't standard either. In any case, if he Cayin cable isn't working for you, get a cheap third party cable and that should do the trick.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #2,848 of 6,262
XVortex and gLer
Just wanted to say thank you for the new FW v2. Looks great. I like the interface and navigation seems better.
I do miss the more artful stuff from 1.2 but I understand you need to keep it clean. There is some artwork hidden in some menus so kudos to you.

Great stuff.
Only a pleasure :)

(Works even better when you get rid of the crappy piano image at bootup but that's more risky than a simple FW update so I can't post links to those scripts directly. PM me if you want them.)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #2,849 of 6,262
I've upgraded mine to custom 2.0. No problem so far and the UI is slightly improved. Clicking feels more responsive now.

One thing i have not figured out is how to use the playlist on the menu. the m3u file I put on the SD card showed up on the folder instead of on the playlist menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back