Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 24, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3,766 of 6,262
I'm not going to buy another N3 because I can't think of a good reason to have 2 but I've been sorely tempted to buy the red one all the same. I really like the look of that one.

I'm hoping Cayin release something else I can buy soon. In red.

You could sell or gift your current N3 and get the red.

I am happy I chose the cyan. I even like the silicone case in that color.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #3,767 of 6,262
You could sell or gift your current N3 and get the red.

I am happy I chose the cyan. I even like the silicon case in that color.
I don't think the other colours were available when I ordered mine. Or maybe they were and I was being a typical man going for the black one :). I'm not sure if I could sell it to a stranger - they might mistreat it!

I quite like the look of the cyan one as well but it's just a shade too light for my masculine tastes.

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #3,768 of 6,262
I'm not going to buy another N3 because I can't think of a good reason to have 2 but I've been sorely tempted to buy the red one all the same. I really like the look of that one.

Red is nice...lol

IMG_20170824_184706739_zpsk2wx7ntq.jpg

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #3,770 of 6,262
I don't think the other colours were available when I ordered mine. Or maybe they were and I was being a typical man going for the black one :). I'm not sure if I could sell it to a stranger - they might mistreat it!

I quite like the look of the cyan one as well but it's just a shade too light for my masculine tastes.

I have enough black daps. It was time for something girlish for me. Actually I think it would be nice for a guy too. Really all three choices are very nice.

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #3,772 of 6,262
When I zoom into the online pictures, the cyan looks like it's got a nice metallic sheen to it. Does it look like that in real life?

Yes it does. It's very nice. I have the silicone cover on mine which covers it though and is a slightly different shade...a bit brighter. I have only had mine a couple of weeks. I really should peel that plastic film off it and apply the screen protector. I hate installing those...the one on my xDuoo x3 still has a small bubble in the corner which annoys me.

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #3,773 of 6,262
Yes it does. It's very nice. I have the silicone cover on mine which covers it though and is a slightly different shade...a bit brighter. I have only had mine a couple of weeks. I really should peel that plastic film off it and apply the screen protector. I hate installing those...the one on my xDuoo x3 still has a small bubble in the corner which annoys me.
If yours is like mine, there is already a screen protector installed - its underneath that plastic film and it looks a hundred times better once you peel it off.

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #3,774 of 6,262

You should buy the red one... it is so cool, people stop me by the street just to ask me to show my red N3 hahaha

and I just knew that the Cyan colour was chosen by the Cayin's female employers!! hahaha (as said by Cayin's facebook) =)

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #3,776 of 6,262
Can someone who has tried the custom firmware tell me if the font size is larger. That is the only thing that bothers me with this Well, that and the fact that I have a really hard time getting the power button to respond as others have mentioned. I am worried that one day it will refuse to power on. Never a problem powering off...or just turning the screen on and off.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #3,778 of 6,262
You should buy the red one... it is so cool, people stop me by the street just to ask me to show my red N3 hahaha

and I just knew that the Cyan colour was chosen by the Cayin's female employers!! hahaha (as said by Cayin's facebook) =)

Well, someone called me a sexism because of that story. :cry:

I'm sure I've seen ladies underwear in that colour :)

I believe the color is inspired by one of the famous brand's theme color, I can't quote the brand directly but kind of like this:TXffXXX, if you can figure that out, you are very smart and trendy, but you don't have to tell me the answer. :money_mouth:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 25, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #3,780 of 6,262
Andy I am really glad you brought up the current capacity of the amplifier. When I was selling audio gear every customer was under the impression that more power a receiver or amplifier had the better it was. It was a real challenge to get them to understand that current is what drives the speakers or drivers in the headphones. I miss the days when audio gear manufacturers made the current specs available in their spec sheets. Since you brought it up is there any chance Cayin will start providing the current specifications for your portable audio products?

I tried the A35 with several headphones as I don't use iem's and found the power is fine for most headphones 35 ohms or less. Once you switch to 60 ohm and above headphones I found the power of the N3 was necessary.

I am truly torn as I really like the N3 and I would definitely buy one if the Sony A35/A45 were not also available and a better fit for my needs. I like the DAP's Cayin is producing and quite frankly I think Cayin is now producing the kind of DAP's I have been waiting years for Fiio to produce. I will continue to follow your product releases.

I am also looking for a new portable amplifier and I did demo the C5 but I was not thrilled with it. I found the look and build quality lacking a little. Does Cayin have any plans to expand their portable Amp and DAC/Amp offerings?

I start off as an user (audiophile) and then moving up the ladder as a reviewer in audio magazine, and finally developed my own Home Entertainment project, the 911 crashed everything and my investor pulled back almost immediately after the hit. So I didn't have the honor to work with customers at front-line like you, I come from an informed customer perspective when I learn about the real story behind the product specification.

I keep telling my friends that driving power is not the key of a good system (or a good amplifier to be more specific), we should pay more attention to the "control" which is a relative neglected concept that play a significant role in the speaker (or headphon) - amplifier relationship, and in my observation, the two key factors that affect the control capability are the current capacity and the damping factor, the latter is basically related to the output impedance of the DAP headphone jack in portable headfi applications.

With a deep history in traditional hifi product, Cayin sure understand the important of ample current supply in our amplification circuit, that's why we stick with the more old-school two stages voltage amp + current buffer approach in the headphone amp. section of our DAP. Our rated power output probably is not particularly impressive but I am pretty sure our current capacity is on the high side of the spectrum although we didn't provide the related figure in the specification table.

Certainly not a problem to prefer A35/45 over our N3 because of your personal requirements. The market is large enough to accommodate several good products at the same time. Budgeted equipment is full of compromises, so in many case its not a matter of better or best of its kind but rather best fit for certain customers.

Unfortunately we don't have any plan to produce an upgrade or revised version of C5. The C5 is aged but still well-received as a competitive workhorse. The power supply is almost one of a kind with battery at 11.1V (3x3.7V), old-school audiophile will appreciate the advantage to power an amplifier with a high voltage power source directly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back