Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 25, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #3,796 of 6,262
Yes I had tried that first. Actually tried it on my husbands PC before that because he was going to give me an album. I hate taking the cards out of any of my players... usually manage to break a fingernail or send the card flying across the room. Plus you have to take the case off (which on my Opus is a very tight fit). Of course I would take the card out if I was going to do a lot of transferring but for one album? I should be able to just plug it in. Earlier in this thread it did say we needed drivers from the Cayin site.
It isn't the easiest of micro sd slots to use, I must admit. My old Sansa Clip+ is much easier in that respect as you don't need to use a nail to push the card in. I'm fairly sure I didn't install any drivers but I don't really know what to suggest: the supplied cable should work.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #3,797 of 6,262
'm afraid you probably do. It's been covered to death unfortunately - stock cable sucks (for many). Mine works on and off so I gave up and bought decent cables off Amazon.

You have no idea how much I want to put a dislike on that post! The provided cable should work!!!!!

Also check that it's in USB mode (not DAC mode).

Yes as I said in my original post I tried both. I tried every combination of things that I could think of short of unplugging all my usb drives. I am usually a pretty good troubleshooter after years of helping people for free with their computers and audio setups. Very frustrating to fail.

I do have a question about your custom firmware. Are the fonts larger and/or more readable? I am interested regardless.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,798 of 6,262
I don't think I should have to buy another cable. The provided cable should work for something so basic.
I agree with you and voiced this same thing maybe 20 pages back or so in this thread when I was having the exact same issue. Cayin never responded about the cheap cable they provide when I brought it up so I ended up buying a new one in order to be able to do file transfers without removing the case and the card. I ended up buying an Anker cable from Amazon and the problem went away. Hope you find a solution.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #3,799 of 6,262
I agree with you and voiced this same thing maybe 20 pages back or so in this thread when I was having the exact same issue. Cayin never responded about the cheap cable they provide when I brought it up so I ended up buying a new one in order to be able to do file transfers without removing the case and the card. I ended up buying an Anker cable from Amazon and the problem went away. Hope you find a solution.

Seemed like a nice enough cable when I was just charging with it. I have never had a C connector cable before. My husband has a couple but he has them with him and will not be back til Monday! Grrr. I will need my own but I am annoyed. I know there is a C adaptor here somewhere but I have searched and searched. I thought maybe that would work with one of my better normal USB cables. Amazon could have delivered one to me by now with all the time I have spent.

I do not know why Cayin has not addressed this. Perhaps they are providing better ones now and mine is older stock. Except how much older could it be....

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #3,800 of 6,262
It isn't the easiest of micro sd slots to use, I must admit. My old Sansa Clip+ is much easier in that respect as you don't need to use a nail to push the card in. I'm fairly sure I didn't install any drivers but I don't really know what to suggest: the supplied cable should work.

i think there is a dap that has a little tray for the card but I am not sure which one. That is a really good idea.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,801 of 6,262
It will improve the sound quality to use the cayin c5 with the N3? would I gain something if I get the C5?

I have the beyer Amiron and its 250ohm, bt is highly efficient so it sounds ok even in my iphone... so I dont think I need an amp for more power... but I am asking myself if an amp, like the C5, will improve the sound quality in some way comparing to using the N3 alone

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3,802 of 6,262
Aug 25, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3,803 of 6,262
It will improve the sound quality to use the cayin c5 with the N3? would I gain something if I get the C5?

I have the beyer Amiron and its 250ohm, bt is highly efficient so it sounds ok even in my iphone... so I dont think I need an amp for more power... but I am asking myself if an amp, like the C5, will improve the sound quality in some way comparing to using the N3 alone

I actually have never tried my Amirons unamped. I have just used them with my tube amp at home. You might want to ask people in the Amiron thread about what benefits they have experienced from using amps (portable or desktop) with the Amiron. If you buy the c5 and you do not feel that you are receiving any benefit, can you easily return it?

I have only had the N3 for two weeks and have so far only tried it with low impedance efficient headphones and iems.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,804 of 6,262
You have no idea how much I want to put a dislike on that post! The provided cable should work!!!!!

I know, very frustrating, but that's the way it goes sometimes. It's also my first c-device and (Cayin cable aside) I think every device from now on should just standardize on USB-C, no exceptions (iPhone included!).

I do have a question about your custom firmware. Are the fonts larger and/or more readable? I am interested regardless.

I probably could have messed with the font size but honestly found it ok for me. Maybe if Cayin gives us a few tools that make it easier to customize the interface I'll try it out in a future version, but I think there are some copyright issues with HiBy that prevent this from happening. In any case I think the custom is slicker, faster and if nothing else some of the poor English phrasing is fixed. It's easy and free to try it and you can always flash back to stock firmware if you don't like it :)

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #3,805 of 6,262
It's also my first c-device and (Cayin cable aside) I think every device from now on should just standardize on USB-C, no exceptions (iPhone included!).

I totally agree with that. So much easier to not worry which way to turn it. The lightning connector is convenient in that way also, but it is less robust. Last week I tripped over the cable while my Ipad was charging and the connector broke right off the tablet leaving the connector inside. Luckily it was sticking out... all I had to do was pinch it with my fingers and pull it out. Amazon had a new cable to me the next day. Hopefully my next android tablet will have a C connector.. and that more daps will be doing it as well.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #3,806 of 6,262
I had a listen to my new n3 today. Filled it with flacs and had a listen through meze 99s. Sounded fantastic and total bargain for the price

Aug 25, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #3,808 of 6,262
I know their website says the N3 Hibylink doesnt work on iOS yet but was wondering how old that information is. I just got the new version of Hiby Music on my iPhone and have been using it for a few days. (It wouldn't work without crashing until I updated to the newest version of iOS.) Has anyone had any luck with Hibylink using an iPhone yet? I'm waiting to hear about compatibility before I buy an N3.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,809 of 6,262
I know their website says the N3 Hibylink doesnt work on iOS yet but was wondering how old that information is. I just got the new version of Hiby Music on my iPhone and have been using it for a few days. (It wouldn't work without crashing until I updated to the newest version of iOS.) Has anyone had any luck with Hibylink using an iPhone yet? I'm waiting to hear about compatibility before I buy an N3.
I'm with you on that. I know it's coming, but they won't tell us when. Wonder if they're having technical issues getting it to work - Apple has a much stricter review policy than Android and generally won't allow broken apps on the App Store. Just speculating of course, but that the only reason I can think of for the delay. Either that or HiBy don't consider iOS an important market for them.

On a related note, the latest version of Audirvana+ (3.1) supports bitperfect wireless steaming via upnp, which hopefully means HiBy Music will support it. Exciting times ahead with flac support touted for iOS 11 as well.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,810 of 6,262

I really think it depends on preference. The C5 will give you a huge bass boost but I think the sound is a lot cleaner without. I use my C5 if I'm listening to something heavier and without it otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back