Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #3,811 of 6,262
Im relatively new to the world of DAPs. What does Audirvana do? Does this affect the N3 somehow?

Edit: I looked it up. Looks like a remote control for a Mac/Windows player? Im primarily interested in the N3 as a mobile player. (And to stream to/from my phone) Also as an external DAC for my PC. (I was a mac user for about a decade and a half and I still have a mac octocore (late 08) but have been trying to sell it for some time.) Im running Wintel these days.

Im not sure what audirvana has to do with the n3 though?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #3,812 of 6,262
Im relatively new to the world of DAPs. What does Audirvana do? Does this affect the N3 somehow?

Edit: I looked it up. Looks like a remote control for a Mac/Windows player? Im primarily interested in the N3 as a mobile player. (And to stream to/from my phone) Also as an external DAC for my PC. (I was a mac user for about a decade and a half and I still have a mac octocore (late 08) but have been trying to sell it for some time.) Im running Wintel these days.

Im not sure what audirvana has to do with the n3 though?
Audirvana Plus (+) is probably the best high-quality music playing software for Mac. I (and many others) use it as the source app for serving music as cleanly as possible from the Mac to external DAC/amps and music systems. It is relevant to the N3 if you use the N3 as a DAC for your Mac, in which case Audirvana will use the N3 as its sound card/interface to your headphones/speakers.

As for the reference to HiBy Music - HiBy Music can play music files off a upnp server, and from what I understand the latest version of Audirvana+ turns your Mac into a upnp music server (or client, not quite sure yet). So you can use HiBy Music on your iPhone to play music off your Mac as well as control the music on your N3. Not directly relevant to the N3 as HiBy doesn't support iOS yet, but just putting it out there.

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #3,813 of 6,262
Checked out the hiby website and it looks like the iOS compatibility falls on the shoulders of the hiby software makers themselves so this looks like the main place to watch. (Unless its something like Android where their 3rd party partner vendors may take forever and a day to update and integrate into their devices.)

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #3,814 of 6,262
Ordered the USB C cable to be delivered tomorrow. It had better solve the problem or it will go back. I just do not understand what the problem with the stock cable could be. Its a cable! It has a simple job to do. Actually I do hope the problem lies with the cable. If the new one does not help then I have no solution.

Aug 25, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #3,815 of 6,262
Ordered the USB C cable to be delivered tomorrow. It had better solve the problem or it will go back. I just do not understand what the problem with the stock cable could be. Its a cable! It has a simple job to do. Actually I do hope the problem lies with the cable. If the new one does not help then I have no solution.
If it makes you feel better, all my original cable would do is charge. When plugged into my computer, all it would do is charge and the N3 would occasionally show up, but I couldn't add or delete any files. Griped on here about it for a few days and finally ordered a new cable. New cable solved all of my problems. The original cable no longer works for charging so I'm guessing it's some bottom of the barrel cheap cable to cut down on cost. However, it is something Cayin missed in quality control unless they were banking on people removing the card every time for file transfers. Just my two cents on it. Let us know how the new cable works out.

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #3,816 of 6,262
If it makes you feel better, all my original cable would do is charge. When plugged into my computer, all it would do is charge and the N3 would occasionally show up, but I couldn't add or delete any files. Griped on here about it for a few days and finally ordered a new cable. New cable solved all of my problems. The original cable no longer works for charging so I'm guessing it's some bottom of the barrel cheap cable to cut down on cost. However, it is something Cayin missed in quality control unless they were banking on people removing the card every time for file transfers. Just my two cents on it. Let us know how the new cable works out.

Wow! I am surprised that your cable stopped working for charging. In that case I am happy I have a new one coming. Thanks for telling me.

I do not think Cayin would knowingly provide inferior cables. They probably sourced them from somewhere. Too bad they were sold a bad product.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3,819 of 6,262
Yeah, my original cable works fine, too. I bought my N3 in March from Musicteck. I wonder if the quality has somehow gone up or down since then.
I bought mine in May from the Thai distributor (whose customer service is appalling incidentally, if anybody is interested) but I don't know how 'fresh' their stock is.

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,820 of 6,262
The Anker cable came this afternoon. I used it to plug the N3 into my Windows 7 PC....powered USB 2 hub (this PC has no USB 3. Windows saw it immediately and installed the Cayin drivers that I had downloaded and tried to install the other night. Device ready to use. Assigned a drive letter to the card. I transfered a few albums and have left it charging for now. It was down to 14% by the time the cable arrived.

It should have been like this the other night with the original cable. I am still tired from fighting with it in the middle of the night. I really do not understand what could be wrong with the cable.Do we all have the same one? Mine is white and fairly soft and flexible... which I actually liked about it. It was included with my cyan N3. I think the red was released later... did that have a better cable? Anyone with the red N3 have these problems?

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,821 of 6,262
The Anker cable came this afternoon. I used it to plug the N3 into my Windows 7 PC....powered USB 2 hub (this PC has no USB 3. Windows saw it immediately and installed the Cayin drivers that I had downloaded and tried to install the other night. Device ready to use. Assigned a drive letter to the card. I transfered a few albums and have left it charging for now. It was down to 14% by the time the cable arrived.

It should have been like this the other night with the original cable. I am still tired from fighting with it in the middle of the night. I really do not understand what could be wrong with the cable.Do we all have the same one? Mine is white and fairly soft and flexible... which I actually liked about it. It was included with my cyan N3. I think the red was released later... did that have a better cable? Anyone with the red N3 have these problems?
Glad to hear things are working now. I have a red N3 (I'll have two red N3's when my new one arrives Monday), but my original cable is just like what you described and I had nothing but problems with it.

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3,823 of 6,262
Glad to hear things are working now. I have a red N3 (I'll have two red N3's when my new one arrives Monday), but my original cable is just like what you described and I had nothing but problems with it.

Actually it will be interesting to see if your new one has a better cable.

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #3,824 of 6,262
Next project will be to try the custom firmware. I wish I had screenshots first.
Custom firmware contains nudity and is based off an earlier firmware which had the charging issue. N3 would charge fine, but it took longer than 2 hours to get fully charged. I never used it, but it's supposed to be a little quicker than the stock firmware.

Actually it will be interesting to see if your new one has a better cable.
I'm not expecting it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back