Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 28, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #3,844 of 6,262
Thank you for your detailed reply - one of the reasons I bought the player was due to reading through this thread and seeing your continuous support.

I did try the above method several times previous to posting here, however it was step 2 where the battery indicator/animation would never exceed 93%.

I'm quite happy with the custom 2.0 firmware at the moment, but sometime in the future I may try flashing the 2.1 firmware whilst the battery is at 100%

Thanks again,

Hi, thank your for your kind words! I hope that you can enjoy music with our product! And any problems, please feel free to let me know again.:grinning:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 28, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #3,845 of 6,262
When I first got this N3 about two weeks ago I had a card loaded up and ready to put in so I had not tried until last night to have it recognized as a USB device on my PC. I just wanted to quickly add a couple of albums without bothering to take the card out. I cannot get my Windows 7 PC to recognize it. I installed and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver 3 times. Windows just keeps telling me that there is an unrecognized USB device. I tried it in different USB ports both directly on the PC and on a powered USB hub. I tried with the N3 switched off and with it switched off. I tried with the USB setting to USB and to DAC. I am pretty sure I tried all possible combinations. Rebooted the PC a couple of times. I do not have another cable here with the C connector to try. I am on the latest 2.1 firmware. What else is there to try?

Hi, I read through your posts and noticed that you have already bought another cables. Sorry for the inconvenience caused! Our factory have tested and checked the cables and found it was OK before. I guess this is an individual production batch problem. In this case, you can contact your retailer to test the cable and make sure it is OK before you replace it.

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #3,846 of 6,262
Buttons on right side are driving me nuts. I hit them all the time and fast forward to next song. Any way to deactivate them? Thanks!

Hi, what is your current firmware version? You can upgrade the latest firmware V2.1 to have a try,
which has added new Lock Screen function in System Setup menu. User can disable the Next/Prev and Play/Pause button on right side panel of N3 by setting this function to ON. Please be reminded that Volume Control buttons on the left side panel are not affect.

Last edited:

Aug 28, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #3,847 of 6,262
Hi, what is your current firmware version? You can upgrade the latest firmware V2.1 to have a try,
which has added new Lock Screen function in System Setup menu. User can disable the Next/Prev and Play/Pause button on right side panel of N3 by setting this function to ON. Please be reminded that Volume Control buttons on the left side panel are not affect.

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #3,851 of 6,262
Still lit. It appears to work (buttons are deactivated) when screen is dark. My problem occurs when I slip into my pocket and screen is still lit at that time. Ideally I would kill the buttons for all time
Just tap the power switch to shut the screen off before putting it in your pocket (or set a really short backlight time so that it does it on it's own).

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,852 of 6,262
Just tap the power switch to shut the screen off before putting it in your pocket (or set a really short backlight time so that it does it on it's own).

I turn it off with the power switch

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3,853 of 6,262
I ordered 3 of these cables from Monoprice. 2.0 USB-C to USB-B

upload_2017-8-28_17-5-3.png

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=14830&seq=1&format=2

I was able to get the N3 to talk to the Peachtree Audio Decco 65. But I could not get any of them to work with the Unison Research SH Class A Valve Headphone amp/dac. I' a little disappointed.

Here is the Unison Research SH USB DAC spec.
USB DAC SPECIFICATION
Asynchronous USB interface compliant to USB 2.0 Audio Class
Accepts PCM up to 384kHz and DSD up to 128x
Resolution up to 32 bits
Last generation ESS Sabre DAC with jitter eliminator circuit​

Should the N3 communicate with the SH?

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #3,854 of 6,262
If you've got a headphone amp with an analog input (like the Walnut v2 or Zishan Z1), you can always use a Bluetooth aptX Low Latency transmitter / receiver pair - but until they upgrade the Bluetooth chips in the N3, M1, or M2s - you won't get aptX (with or without LL).

Hey DBaldock9! I have the Walnut v2 with burson v5i opamp. Do you have the v5i? If so, how does the walnut/v5i combo compare to the N3 SQ-wise? Thanks!

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,855 of 6,262
Still lit. It appears to work (buttons are deactivated) when screen is dark. My problem occurs when I slip into my pocket and screen is still lit at that time. Ideally I would kill the buttons for all time
Yes, it will only work when the screen goes off, that's what screen lock means, so just do what docholliday and Groucho69 suggested :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back