Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #3,078 of 6,262
For those who are having problem with current HiByMusic Beta app, or is interested in keep track of the latest progress of HiByLInk or HiByMusic app, you can subscribe to the beta service of HiBy Music:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.hiby.music

We have included Build 5085 with our V2.0 firmware, and the current beta version is Build 5178, I have tried the new version and its is indeed smoother and offer better overall user experience.
Still force closes upon connecting hibymusic to n3 hibylink.

About HibyMusic version...
The version included in N3 v2 official Firmware is 3.0 build 5313. The build 5085 was the version included on the v1.3 Beta that you posted here with hibymusic.
So. The beta build for HibyMusic on the GooglePlay Store Beta program is older than the beta you suplied with the oficial v2 firmware. (5313 versus 5178). How is that possible?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #3,079 of 6,262

The version included in N3 v2 official Firmware is 3.0 build 5313. The build 5085 was the version included on the v1.3 Beta that you posted here with hibymusic.
So. The beta build for HibyMusic on the GooglePlay Store Beta program is older than the beta you suplied with the oficial v2 firmware. (5313 versus 5178). How is that possible?

If the app is accessing corrupt data, you will get a force close. Try going to “Settings > Apps > app name > Clear data” and seeing if that helps.

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #3,080 of 6,262
If the app is accessing corrupt data, you will get a force close. Try going to “Settings > Apps > app name > Clear data” and seeing if that helps.

Thanks, but nop. I allready tried that multiple times. and i note this happens with 3 different android devices, OnePlus 5, OnePlus 1, Nexus 7 2013.
I even installed the HibyMusic app on a clean fresh install of android and still force closes.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #3,081 of 6,262
Even after upgrading N3 with V2.1, there is a problem that has stayed. With {Folder operation} turned on, trying to delete songs fails and leads to a message 'deletion failed'. Is there a solution for this?

I just tried it and I could delete it smoothly. Could you delete only a song ?

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 20, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #3,082 of 6,262

We have included Build 5085 with our V2.0 firmware.
the current beta version is Build 5178
Build 5178 is the more recent version, the build number increase as they introduce new version.

Given the successful rate of HiByLink users so far, your case is unique, and you have tried three Android device already, so this not Android device dependent. I run out of option already, maybe you need to seek help from HiByMusic to investigate why the app will terminated repeatedly.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #3,083 of 6,262
the advantage of a 62ohm impedance vs 300ohm I guess...

I believe sensitivity has a bigger role in determining the output required to drive the headphone to certain loud level.

In general, higher impedance can prefer an amplifier with a higher voltage swing, because the impedance range of the headphone across audible spectrum can be fairly wide. low impedance will tends to draw more current when compare to high impedance can with the same sensitivity, so low impedance with low sensitivity can be a very tough load to headphone amplifier.

Any good sounding DAP should sound good with any good sounding IEMs or headphones unless the rare occasions when headphone has too high an impedance for the DAP, in which case you'll need an external headphone amp. As for IEMs, I still haven't found any IEMs that can't be driven to dangerously loud levels by the N3.

Thanks for support to N3 and I take your last sentence as a compliment to the driving power of our little DAP.

If the subject is whether we need an external headphone amplifier, I would high impedance low impedance low sensitivity headphone are more demanding then high impedance high sensitivity headphones, so we should always look at impedance and sensitivity as a pair.

When we discuss the rated output of a DAP, we normally refer to the voltage figures. However not all DAP will have the same driving power when they have the same output because there is another important factors that are frequently neglected:the current capacity of a DAP. We won't see this mentioned in the specification, but this is as important, if not more significant then the regular power rating specification. A high current design will have driving capability then a low current design when their rated output are similar.

Last but not least, we have a slightly abstract concept of "control" in the audiophile wish list. N3 can drive most IEM to dangerously loud, but it doesn't necessary "control" the drivers satisfactory, this is a combination of output impedance, headroom and power management,, so we can't tell until we get to hear the DAP/IEM pair in action. I personally consider N3 as bang for the buck DAP on audio performance, but I can't stand by the claim that we can drive anything satisfactory.

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #3,085 of 6,262
Thank you for the explanation. may i suggest: would it be possible to have the option to choose making the line out as a default output setting? so everytime we turn it on it will be in line out level?
i am aware that the device always default in headphone out mode as a safety precautions, but it really would be helpful for me (or maybe others too) that always use the N3 with external amps to default in line level.

Sorry, this is unlikely to happen. The percentage of headphone users is significantly higher then line out user in N3 community, when we make any change to existing UI, we need to take care of the greater majority in the first place.

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #3,086 of 6,262
Sorry, this is unlikely to happen. The percentage of headphone users is significantly higher then line out user in N3 community, when we make any change to existing UI, we need to take care of the greater majority in the first place.

so the N3 can't be set to remember the last setting of output type? because the N3 is capable of remembering the last song, i figured that this is at least possible

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #3,087 of 6,262
It happens arbitrarily. Some songs get deleted, some don't.

We didn't know it happens arbitrarily from your earlier posts, so we didn't dig deep to explore that.

If we can't repeat the problem, we can't solve the problem, right now we have tested the file deletion function and it works fine. We need more information so that we can establish a repeatable case, any chance the issue is related to certain file type? in the middle of playback? or when the song are still playing (i.e., current song in Playing Now screen)? you playback via playlist or cue file? ...

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #3,088 of 6,262
so the N3 can't be set to remember the last setting of output type? because the N3 is capable of remembering the last song, i figured that this is at least possible

We can remember the last output type, but for safety reason, we always reset the output to headphone when you power off the player.

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #3,089 of 6,262
Except my nearest factory is in China, so I may as well buy a new N3 for the same price when my battery dies :p

Well, if you can find a flight carrier to take the Lithium batter on its own, I'll sell the batter to you. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #3,090 of 6,262
The Type-C cable to 3.5mm coaxial seemed very interesting at 20$ but international shipping at 50$...really?

i had a doubt (the reason why i didn't tell the difference between the N3 and the Xduoo...), but since i had a very different sound between selecting USB vs Aux on the xduoo (and while set on USB the different DAC filters appearing on the screen, i thought it was DAC+AMP when selecting USB.) I should have asked you since i saw you already had the same combo.
So i'd need a connection to the digital signal i.e. a 3.5mm to type-C USB cable to use the DAC, right?
And more precisely: if i want to use the DAC with the Cirrus Logic and not the XMOS, i can only do it with the optical in.
2v1wwhj.jpg
If only Cayin didn't charge 50$ for shipping a cable... i can't resign myself to buying a cable worth 20$ and spend x2.5 for the shipping, i paid half less for a treadmill that weighed more than me a few years ago, so 50$ for a cable that weighs nothing, i simply can't.

Can you tell me more detail about this transaction? Cayin didn't sell to customer directly unless we have verified that there is no way the transaction be covered by a local dealer, so I am kind of surprised that you said Cayin CHARGE you $50 for shipping. Did you contact our Sales for the quote directly? What was the shipping condition for this transaction?

By the way, where are you located? Maybe I can find you a nearby shop to place an order for the Type-C to 3.5mm cable for you at a much lower shipping cost?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back